This question has suggested answer(s)

my xbox 360 turns on and off by itself randomly

• Level   2

I have the Star Wars Xbox 360, and just about a week ago it started turning itself on randomly throughout the day, followed by it also turning itself off then back on again a few times within a 3-5 min period. At that point I go and unplug the system.

Also, when I try and use the system, it will do the same thing 25% of the time, anytime from right when I power it on, to about an hour. The longest stand alone instance Ive been able to play is about 2 hours. After the first few occurrences, I moved a small fan near the Xbox to help keep it cool, even though the Xbox is not inside of anything, or within two feet of my other electronics. It sits on a wood coffee table.

There are no LED indicators, the power supply stays green when on and switches to orange when off, and I've done this with both using the the power button on the front of the Xbox as well as both a wired and wireless controllers to see if any of the effects changed anything. All of which had the same outcome.

All Replies
    • Level   7

If you have a screen cleaning cloth try wiping your consoles power button clean, sometimes grease or oils from your skin can cause the power button to falsely report as pressed. Let us know how it goes!

"You see that 2 next to my name?" ~ Maxen13

• Level   3

first off do not put fan near it, Microsoft says not to, also make sure everything is plugged in all the way

youtube is CoDMATT1296, gamertag is MATT VERDE, I am an xbox ambassador, twitter is matt1296

• Level   3

Are you downloading anything at those time?

• Level   2

i took the fan away from it. and i am not downloading anything, i am not connected to the internet with it currently.

wiping it off did help some, it doesnt do it as often, but just through today it had two episodes when i wasnt using it, and both times i tried playing it powered off after about 10 min one time and and hour and a half the second time

• Level   2
    • Suggested Answer

I had the same problem with my Star Wars Console. The people at my local Gamestop stated that this was not the first time this had been an issue with this console. There were a few consoles that made it to shelves that had this defect. Yours and mine happen to be one of those. I just got lucky and had bought the insurance so they replaced it for me for free and the new Star Wars console works fine. Hopefully you can exchange it with whomever you purchased it from because it is just a defective unit. Sorry I couldn't give you a simple fix, but unfortunately for this situation, there is none. Just have to get a new one.

• Level   S

Hey there, Grave Psycho. Can you try plugging your console into another outlet to see if the issue persists? In addition, if your console is currently positioned vertically can you lay it on its side or vice versa? Let us know if that makes a difference!

How to use the forums
    Retired Support Agent - No PMs please!

• Level   2

I tried a new outlet in a different room. no substantial changes.

and standing it upright from flat seemed to help a little bit with how often it would power on by itself. but now it chirps the two different R2D2 sounds randomly and when it does that the two touch sensors for the disk tray and power button don't respond when i touch them.

i can make it power off with the controller still and open the disk tray via the menu.

it just seems like its going to be a persistent issue. I'm going to try and see if there's anything Xbox will do for me at this point as it looks like it may be a defect among the other star wars editions.

thanks for all the help guys!

• Level   1

i have a a 4g slim regular version and im having the same problem it turns on and off. i have it alone just a wi that its currently not been used and their not too close by. so i know for a fact its not over heating sadly i didnt purchased a guaranee and its been a few days over a year that i bought mine so prob xbox wont repair it.

• Level   7

Hey cfon! Would you be able to create your own thread about your issue letting us know what you have done in attempt to solve the issue so we can further help you with your issue.

"You see that 2 next to my name?" ~ Maxen13

• Level   1

Actually I dont have the star wars xbox and mine does it too so it dont matter which console it is its just the microsoft is pushin to many consoles out at one time they are makin them half fast this will cause any of these things to happen so it dont matter if you stand it up or lay it down or wipe it clean or change outlets those are retarded things to ven suggest you sensors are goin out on you console thats just it

• Level   S

Hey Guru! If you need any help, please create a fresh post detailing whats going on, and we'll get you helped out. Thanks!

• Level   1

How did yu go about getting the insurance to pay cause my xbox keeps cutting off every 10 min. N ive only had it a month .

• Level   1

I went over to a friend's house  and this started happening to us. Turns out (Gross Warning) THERE WAS ROACHES IN THERE! Yea ROACHES. Turns out there was roaches messing around behind the face mask thingy where the sensor is. They were the coulrpits cos we took the face off and cleaned them out (I say we but i was too chicken, i left the room) it worked fine after that. *EDITED* It was a 4G slim xbox. If anyone cares. We did try plugging it in diff locations and dint work, prior to roach cleaning.

• Level   1

My gears of war Xbox has started to do the same thing, I will wipe the face of the power button and see if anything happens.

• Level   1

for some reason my 4gb slim was doing that until i laid it on its side