This question is not answered

4GB Xbox Not Showing Proper Amount of Space

• Level   2

Just got a new 4GB Xbox 360 and it's showing 300 MB less space than one from last year.

A 4GB flash drive should be 3.7GB when formatted (which accounts for the conversion from base 10 to base 2). About half a gig is then used for the system reserved space on the Xbox, leaving around 3.2 to 3.3 GB.

On last year's 4GB Xbox it shows a capacity of 3.3GB and available free space of 3.2GB when freshly formatted.

On the brand new 4GB Xbox it shows a capacity of 3.0GB and available free space of 2.9GB when freshly formatted.

Phone support couldn't offer any help (and seemed to have no idea about the proper partition size). They kept telling me to delete things if I wanted to increase the free space. I've already tried clearing the cache and reformatting. Neither helps.

Any ideas? Or does this one have to go back to the store?

Thanks.

All Replies
    • Level   5

There is NOTHING on the 4GB and it shows 3.0? are you sure?

Take a qucik look at this:

The 360's Operating system is actually about 120MB.

The reason why you don't get the full amount of your HDD is down to way the formatting of the drive from Bytes to Megabytes is kind of lost in translation.  Let me explain:

Determining drive capacity can be confusing at times because of the different measurement standards that are often used. When dealing with Windows and Mac based systems, you will commonly see both decimal measurements and binary measurements of a drive's capacity. In either case, a drive's capacity is measured by using the total number of bytes available on the drive. As long as the drive displays the correct number of bytes (approximate), you are getting the drive's full capacity.

Decimal vs. Binary:
    For simplicity and consistency, hard drive manufacturers define a megabyte as 1,000,000 bytes and a gigabyte as 1,000,000,000 bytes. This is a decimal (base 10) measurement and is the industry standard. However, certain system BIOSs, FDISK and Windows define a megabyte as 1,048,576 bytes and a gigabyte as 1,073,741,824 bytes.

To Determine Decimal Capacity:
    A decimal capacity is determined by dividing the total number of bytes, by the number of bytes per gigabyte (1,000,000,000 using base 10).

To Determine Binary Capacity:
    A binary capacity is determined by dividing the total number of bytes, by the number of bytes per gigabyte (1,073,741,824 using base 2).

This is why different utilities will report different capacities for the same drive. The number of bytes is the same, but a different number of bytes is used to make a megabyte and a gigabyte. This is similar to the difference between 0 degrees Celsius and 32 degrees Fahrenheit. It is the same temperature, but will be reported differently depending on the scale you are using.

Hard of Hearing Gamer and Xbox Live Ambassador here!

Sorry i havent been on here lately. Work and broken computers kept me away!

• Level   2

Sage,

You might want to read the OP before copy and pasting an answer that doesn't apply.

If you noticed, I already covered the base 10 (decimal) to base 2 (binary) conversion issue in the OP. I even provided a summary of the math. I suppose it wasn't clear enough though, so I'll try again. 

4.0GB (base 10) = 4,000,000,000 bytes.

4,000,000,000 bytes / 1,073,741,824 bytes = 3.7GB (base 2)

Every time an Xbox 360 formats a flash drive it reserves half a gig for the system. This is why on the older Xbox 360 4GB Slim you see a Capacity of 3.3GB on the internal memory unit and usable space of 3.2GB when it is freshly formatted. You will see the exact same thing if you take a 4GB USB stick and format it in any Xbox 360.

On this new Xbox 360 Slim it shows a Capacity of 3.0GB and useable space of 2.9GB when it is freshly formatted. And yes, freshly formatted means there is NOTHING on the drive. All of the folders are empty. Yet the free space is only 2.9GB. 

I would like to know why this new Xbox 360 4GB has less useable memory space than an Xbox 360 4GB bought last year.

• Level   5

I am aware of what your original post said. Thats why i said are you sure there is NOTHING on the 4gb memory. Sometimes Xboxes come with a demo or game on the memory. The other stuff was just an for your Infomation.

• Level   2

Sage,

As stated in the OP, the new Xbox 360 4GB Slim is showing available free space of 2.9GB when freshly formatted. 

Formatting a drive deletes all files on that drive, including the pre-loaded demos.

Still, even if it did have files on the drive, that would only affect the available space listed. It would not affect the capacity, which is what the Xbox believes is the total size of the drive. Again, on the new Xbox 360 4GB Slim the capacity is shown as being 3.0GB. On the old Xbox 360 4GB Slim the capacity is shown as being 3.3GB.

If you do the math, the new system has a smaller than advertised flash drive. This can be explained by one of three things:

1) The new system has a defective flash drive.

2) Microsoft is reserving more space for the OS on new hardware (perhaps new security?).

3) The new system are simply using smaller flash drives.

Unfortunately no one seems to know the answer. Phone support was no help. All they could do was point me to the same FAQ post that you copied and pasted, even though I explained that the math doesn't work out (just as I did here in the forum). It also doesn't explain why an older Xbox 360 4GB slim would show a larger size flash drive.

Short version is, it's not a base 10/base 2 conversion issue. It's got to be something with the system itself and that's a question only someone from MS will know the answer to.

• Level   1

You're lucky. I got a 4 gb XBOX Slim recently which came with the internal memory unformatted initially. After formatting I was only left with 1.5 gb of available space. Viewing the memory unit showed not data on it.

I've since reformatted a few times and it still only yields 1.5 gb of available space. Anybody know if this is normal, or what I can do to recover the advertised storage space for this unit? There is no removable hard drive since it's internal.

• Level   5

The 360's Operating system is about 120MB.

If you think there is something wrong with your console then take it bback tot the store (If you bought it less then 30 days ago) or Submit an online repair order.

You could also just use a flashdrive with the console (Youll have to set it up first) Heres how:

USB flash drives

USB minimum requirements

To use a USB flash drive with your console, the USB flash drive must meet these requirements:

• A minimum of 1 GB storage capacity.
    • Formatted with the Windows FAT32 file system. Macintosh or Linux formats do not work.

Note Using a USB flash drive that does not meet the minimum performance requirements might significantly affect the performance of your console.

Format a USB flash drive

Before you format a USB flash drive as an Xbox storage device, make sure you have the latest console software update.

You can format up to 32 GB of the storage space on the USB flash drive to use as Xbox storage.

Note If you receive the message "Can’t configure," the USB flash drive does not meet the USB minimum requirements.

Format a USB flash drive

1. Plug a USB flash drive into a USB port on the front of your console.
    2. Press the Guide button on your controller, go to Settings, and then select System Settings.
    3. Select Storage or Memory.
    4. Select USB Storage Device.
    picture
    1. Choose either Configure Now or Customize to format the USB flash drive for Xbox content.

Note If the USB flash drive doesn’t have at least 1 GB of space available, the options on this screen are not available. In this case, use a different USB flash drive.

picture

Configure Now: Erases the USB flash drive and configures 32 GB for Xbox storage

1. Select Configure Now and confirm that you want to erase all data on the USB flash drive.

Customize: Configures a portion of the USB flash drive (up to 32 GB)

1. Select Customize.
    2. Move the Reserved Storage slider to select the amount of space you want for Xbox storage.

Note 512 MB is reserved for system use.
    picture
    1. Select Configure.
    2. The console tests your USB flash drive to make sure it works correctly with the console. If your USB flash drive passes this test, you can use it.

Note If the USB flash drive is rated below the recommended speed, you might experience reduced game performance and quality. To cancel and try another USB flash drive, select Cancel.

3. Your USB flash drive is ready to use and is listed as a USB Storage Device.
    picture

Now you can use your USB flash drive like any other Xbox storage device. For information on how to copy and move content between storage devices, see Copy, move, or delete Xbox 360 content. You can only plug two USB flash drives into your Xbox 360 console at once.

Note Information stored by your Xbox 360 console on a USB flash drive can’t be viewed or accessed on a computer.

USB warnings and errors

I'm getting a "Performance Warning” message. What does this mean?

If your USB flash drive doesn't meet the USB minimum requirements, you may experience significant performance problems while playing games on the flash drive or saving content to the flash drive.

I'm getting a "Can't Configure" message. What does this mean?

Your USB storage device is not working correctly and can’t be used to store Xbox 360 content. Replace your USB storage device with one that meets the USB minimum requirements:

• Minimum 1-GB storage capacity
    • Windows FAT32 file system format

Note If the device was formatted in Windows using FAT16 or NTFS, you might be able to reformat it in Windows using FAT32. Macintosh and Linux formats do not work.

NOTE TO OP: You are biting my head off when im just trying to help. I am WELL AWARE of your original post. While i was stumped i decided to post some "For your Infomation" While i was trying to figure out what your issue was. But you keep chewing me out. I have posted what i thought was helpful or useful infomation.

-

Have a good day and good luck to getting your Xbox to the correct amount of stoarge.

~Sage

• Level   2

Sage to Rage

The 360's Operating system is about 120MB.

If you think there is something wrong with your console then take it bback tot the store (If you bought it less then 30 days ago) or Submit an online repair order.

You could also just use a flashdrive with the console (Youll have to set it up first) Heres how:

What I'm trying to find out (and no one seems to know the answer to) is if there is a problem or not.

We know that Xbox 360 4GB Slims purchased last year come with a  capacity of 3.3GB (after accounting for the base 10/base 2 conversion and the half-a-gig of system reserved space). We also know that a newly purchased system has less.

What we don't know, is if the new system has less space because it is indicating a fault in the hardware or if this is a result of a design change by Microsoft. Perhaps the company is now reserving .75 GB for reserved space rather than just .5GB?

Phone support didn't know the answer, and suggested posting here and waiting for a MS rep to respond. 

Sage to Rage

NOTE TO OP: You are biting my head off when im just trying to help. I am WELL AWARE of your original post. While i was stumped i decided to post some "For your Infomation" While i was trying to figure out what your issue was. But you keep chewing me out. I have posted what i thought was helpful or useful infomation.

I'm not trying to "bite your head off" and I apologize if it came across that way, but to be frank, your initial responses were pretty condescending. First you tell me that the "reason why you don't get the full amount of your HDD is down to way the formatting of the drive from Bytes to Megabytes is kind of lost in translation." Which, as noted, was talked about in the OP and eliminated as a potential cause. I included that information in the OP in order to avoid the sort of knee-jerk "it's formatting, duh!" reaction that is so common when people have space issues. When you're comparing base 2 to base 2 numbers, conversion loss is a non-issue. 

The same thing with the available capacity. Capacity won't change, regardless of files on the drive. That is set  in the drive partition map. Yet, since I didn't know if the Xbox 360 system software simply formats or if it partitions and formats when you select format on the UI, I did it for good measure. I thought I made that clear in the OP. Even after I stated that I formatted the drive though, you asked if I was "SURE" there were no files on the drive. Again, just a bit condescending. Apologies if  my explanation of how formatting worked was delivered back in the same tone, but there was a bit of frustration on my part.

Finally, I'm not sure why you posted the USB drive information, after I posted about using a USB drive on the system and how an external 4GB USB drive configured on the new system does result in the correct amount of space (3.3GB capacity, 3.2GB available space for use). 

I would appreciate it if discussion could be focused on solving the issue with the internal flash drive and not random explanations of other Xbox features. If no one else has seen this issue before, that's cool. If no one else (outside of Microsoft) has any idea if this is a flaw or by design, that's cool. But if the discussion gets off topic, then the chances of a MS support rep seeing it and responding go down greatly.

I see you have an Ambassador badge. The biggest piece of assistance you could give would be to ask one of the MS people to take a look at this thread and weigh in. It seems I found something that no one else has run across and the standard support docs simply don't cover it.

Sage to Rage

Have a good day and good luck to getting your Xbox to the correct amount of stoarge.

I hope so as well.

• Level   1

I got a 4gb slim recently and it only allocated 1.5gb after a fresh format with no data on it. Tried several times without success. Ended up returning it for a new unit which got me up to 2.8gb. Still odd that's it's not 3.5gb as I'd expect, but it's better then 1.5 at least. Seems like the internal memory units might be buggy or inconsistent. In the memory properties screen it's listed as being only 3gb.

Stupid. Why advertise the unit as 4gb when it's listed as 3gb before even reserving space for the OS?

• Level   1

Blazur78
    Ended up returning it for a new unit which got me up to 2.8gb. Still odd that's it's not 3.5gb as I'd expect,

Max, it was 3.2GB in the past. 4GB * .931 = 3.724. 3.724 - 0.5 = 3.224.
    but it's better then 1.5 at least. Seems like the internal memory units might be buggy or inconsistent. In the memory properties screen it's listed as being only 3gb.
    That indicates more than 0.5GB is being held in reserve, with another 0.2GB being used for "something". I did notice that prior to the SmartGlass update, a 16GB capacity USB Memory Unit was showing only 15.9GB free.
    Stupid. Why advertise the unit as 4gb when it's listed as 3gb before even reserving space for the OS?
    Heh, if you think that's bad check out the 8GB WiiU. After unit conversion and reserved space, there's less than 3GB free.

• Level   1

I just picked up a 4gb two days ago and I can't Believe Microsoft/Xbox's Cheap Butt! they tell you your getting a 4Gb in it and when I go to the thing it says Capacity max 3Gb and it says free space 2.9Gb with everything deleted So wtf is this???????

I think there big crooks and there just hustling people I'm gonna try and see how many people this is happening too maybe we can Petition there Butts into Actually Giving a crap about there Customers for a change instead of trying to advertise something and give someone another thing which is clearly what is being done to a certain degree and no matter how small of a inkling that degree is it still exists and needs rectifying ...... just pathetic Multy Million dollar Corporation and you can't even give people 4gb of space that you say is there "Includes 4GB free space"