This question is answered

Installed game still reads from the disc drive.

• Level   3

Hay guy's! I have a little issue on a brand new game i bought today. (DRIVER SF) First off i want to say that i have a XBOX Slim 4GB, But i have a 250GB HDD in it and it has 220GB of free space. And the first thing i did before i played the game was i installed it to my HDD and it installed fine and every thing, But when i go to play the game my XBOX plays it from the disc drive and not the HDD, Even though it is installed to the HDD. I have tryed deleting it and reinstalling it to my HDD, But it still reads it from my disc drive, I have also cleared my XBOX's catch and that still did not help.

Any help would be great.

Verified Answer
  • UHx1xHuey
    No, I have the DRIVER SF game disc. And i have the game installed to my HDD, But it still reads the game from the disc drive instead of the HDD.

Are you sure the drive is spinning constantly while the game is running?

The disc should spin up for an initial read. The latest update to the copy protection system also allows the game to perform disc checks while the game is running, however the game disc should not be spinning at 12x constantly.

Compare the sound of the drive spinning when the game is installed to the HDD to the sound of the drive when the game is not installed to the HDD. There should be a difference.

All Replies
    • Level   4

Sorry to tell you this but all installed games still need the disc to play. It's done to prevent people from renting/borrowing games, installing them, then returning the disc and keeping the installed files. Installing games is mostly for improved loading times. Sorry about that...

• Level   3

No, I have the DRIVER SF game disc. And i have the game installed to my HDD, But it still reads the game from the disc drive instead of the HDD. The game disc was in my XBOX the whole time.

• Level   4
    • Suggested Answer

Again I'm sorry but that's the way installations work on the xbox. It happens on mine as well, it still uses the disc for verification even though the game was installed to the hard drive. Just the way it was programmed.

• UHx1xHuey
    No, I have the DRIVER SF game disc. And i have the game installed to my HDD, But it still reads the game from the disc drive instead of the HDD.

Are you sure the drive is spinning constantly while the game is running?

The disc should spin up for an initial read. The latest update to the copy protection system also allows the game to perform disc checks while the game is running, however the game disc should not be spinning at 12x constantly.

Compare the sound of the drive spinning when the game is installed to the HDD to the sound of the drive when the game is not installed to the HDD. There should be a difference.

• Level   3

Yes i am sure, I INSTALLED the game to the HARD DRIVE, But when i go to play the game it still reads it from the disc and not from my HARD DRIVE. The disc drive is reading the GAME DISC normally from the disc drive, But it should be reading it from my hard drive because i have it installed to my HDD. But it dose not, It still reads it from the disc drive. And i played it for like an hour lastnight and and it read it from the disc the whole time. And not from my HDD.

• Level   S

Huey: How do you know where it's reading the game information from?

• Level   2
    • Suggested Answer

Upon loading an installed game, your Xbox will read the game in the disc tray to make sure you still own the game so you can't install games then return them or rent them, install and then return them etc,. If the disc is removed from the console while it is playing, the console will not play the game to protect from the same situations I stated above.

If you take a close listen to your console. When you boot up your game, you should hear it get loud for a few seconds and then get really quiet. This sound was the console spinning up the game and reading it to verify it is the game you are wanting to play.

The main point of installing games is to protect from two things.

1. To protect your discs so if a disc were to suffer from minor damage and get a few scratches, it won't effect your gameplay.

2. To put less stress on your console as it reads the games and therefore giving your console and it's DVD drive a longer life expectancy.

Hope this has helped you solve your problem. If not, you might want to try re-installing the game again to see if it was just an error when installing your game.

• Level   4

well i can see what he trying to say, he wants to play the game off his hard drive not the disc, (dont want the disk drive to run while it in the xbox), i think you need to go to your game library and u will see your game with harddrive icon on it, try that and see if it helps

• Level   2

Im having the exact same problem bro, but with gear of war 3. Game used to play silent suddenly it now is noisey even though its installed, tried reinstalling twice. All other installed games are super silent.

Any help anyone?

• Level   2

GOW3 should spin down after a few minutes. I tried this on Halo 3, Halo Reach, and GOW consoles. All exhibit the same behavior. The disc spins up and stays spun up for a while (3-5 minutes), then spins down. When I pause after playing for a while the disc is spun down.

• Level   3
    • Suggested Answer

It's the new disc structure. I was in the halo reach new disc format beta, and I would say that well over 80% of all beta testers reported the disc spinning the whole time while playing, even though the game was installed to the HDD. This was never fixed, and seems to be an ongoing problem with the new disc format. I don't see Microsoft fixing this as they have had ample time since the beta, and yet the discs continue to spin constantly. The new discs affected so far that I know of are GOW 3, Driver SF, and Space Marine, I'm sure more will follow.

• Level   1

Some of you people are idiots. He said over 3 times that he has the disc in the drive. The point he's making is that when he launches the game even after installing. It will continue to read the disc instead of the hd even after a long period of time. I had this issue with war hammer space marine as well.

But as another poster stated it stopped after a few moments. Sounds like Driver SF is an exception to that though.

• Level   4

Gears 3 will spin the disc for 5-15 minutes when it's installed. Listen to and see if Driver is doing the same thing.

I thought it was messed up and reinstalled Gears to the HDD but was still hearing it spin. I asked some friends and thiers does the same thing, they're the ones who told me it only lasts for 5-15 minutes and I realized it did eventually stop.

• Level   4

Same Issue here. I though it was the update that screwed things up since my drive now runs on Splinter cell conviction as well as Driver SF. It runs constantly as if the game was not installed to the HDD.

Before anyone throws it out there, I have never had the disk drive run this long before after installing a game until this last update. No this is not the way it works, when a game is installed there's a short check to make sure the disk is in the drive and the Optical Drive STOPS RUNNING. It's not just new games. I still play SCC religiously and it started to do it as well for that game after the update. There are times when I will hear the drive running while playing renegade ops as well, which is a live downloaded game, I have to remove whatever CD I have in the drive to stop it from running to play a digital downloaded game.

This sounds like yet another mistake with an update, just like the last flashbang update after the NXE and the horror show they call a forum update. I hope they fix it soon, because the reason I install games is to keep the RROD away and it seems that with every major update theres a mass RROD problem reported on the forums. I really hope this update is different and the Optical Drive bug is fixed.  

This is what I feel when I Fire up the Wii360 dashboard.