This question is answered

Console acting slow, and now I'm worried.

• Level   1

I already know that the speed for one's Xbox to access content depends on the signal quality with one's network. That's not the kind of slow I'm talking about. I couldn't get this point across to anyone I know that owns a 360 themselves, so I thought I'd get that out of the way right away so I don't have the same problem on the boards. Also I own the new Xbox, not the original one.

The problem I'm having is that whether connected to my router or not at all, whenever I try to shut my Xbox off after using it, it takes a long time for it to shut down. Sometimes it turns off right away, but every other shut down would take anywhere between a few seconds to a full ten minutes before the green lights are off on the console and power supply and there are no more sounds being made. I'd normally dismiss this, but after a friend of mine had sent in his console back after similar irregularities turning into red rings of death several times, I refuse to take any risk with my new console. None of my friends with the new console have had a problem or hiccups like mine does, so that's why I'm turning to the boards for help.

Should this be a concern of things to come, or is this something that I should just ignore?

Verified Answer
    • Level   X
    • Verified Answer
    • Verified by

Hey Wulfboi, this certainly sounds like a power issue to me. Have you tried a different wall outlet? How about borrowing a power supply from a friend, to see if the same issue occurs? Can you give those steps a try, and let me know how it goes?

Mister Fitzer - Xbox Community Engagement

• Level   2
    • Verified Answer
    • Verified by

When you push the power button, does the TV go blank but the xbox keep running, with the power button slowly blinking once every few seconds? If this is the case then there are two possible reasons, which you'll be glad to know are design features rather than your console dying:

1. A standard feature of the slim is to run the fans for a bit after you've turned off the console. It does this to make sure that the console cools down, especially after long gaming sessions. My guess is it is to prevent the overheating problem that caused the RRODs in older models.

2. 10 minutes is a bit long for a cool down, but it could be caused by the other design feature. If you're downloading a large file when you turn off the console, it goes into a low power mode and keeps downloading the file. Once it's finished it then properly turns itself off, which would explain those 10+ minute turn off periods. There should be an option in console settings that enables/disables this feature.

All Replies
    • Level   1

In response to Mister Fitzer, I'll look into the power suggestions to see if that's the answer. Thanks for the suggestion and I'll let you know right away.

In response to braunman, I really appreciate the insight. Looking back I did set my 360 to continue downloads on low power, however, I can't say that this feature is the reason for why the console takes a while to fully power down when I haven't downloaded any content in the last week or so while this persists. If the cool down is what causes it a while to shut off, then I'd certainly say that I'm relieved that I won't have that RROD like issue.

I'll update this with my findings within the next day or so.

• Level   1

Wulfboi, does the power light flash after you turn it off? If it does, it indicates that you are downloading something in standby. Otherwise, it could be a power issue, or a malfunction with the cooling system. Definitely check and let us know if it's just downloading or not.

• Level   1

Okay, I've done my share of experiments and the findings are clear cut. It seemed what this issue was about had directly to do with the offline download feature. I don't know why that is really, but maybe it does a check to see if there's something in the download queue for it to carry out that feature.

I really appreciate the input from everyone here, and thank you all for the great confidence you have given me in the xbox live forums to help with my matters.

• Level   X

Glad to hear everything is sorted for you! Happy gaming! :)

Emily - Program Manager @ Xbox, Xbox One Preview Program