This question is answered

Your console is showing 1, 2, or 3 red lights

• Level   X

Your console is showing red lights, but don’t worry! The guide below has steps to try for one, two, and three flashing red lights on the console, so be sure to choose the steps that are appropriate for your issue. If you'd like a more-interactive approach, be sure to check the official troubleshooter on support.xbox.com.

My console has one red light

”I see error code E74.” 

If you see error code E74 onscreen, then your console will need to be repaired. You can set up a repair and check your warranty status at our
Online Service Center. Be sure to check!

“I see a different error code, or no video at all.”

If your console has one flashing red light and shows an error other than E74, please try the following steps:

Check your cable connections
Turn off your console and unplug the power and video cables, from both the console, and the power outlet and display. Then, plug everything back in nice and snug and try powering on the console. If the console is still showing a flashing red light, please proceed to the next step.

Remove your hard drive
Turn off your Xbox 360 console and remove the hard drive, if one is attached (if you’re unsure how to remove an HDD, you can check 
here). With the drive removed, turn on the console. If one red light is still showing, please continue to the next step. If the console shows green lights, turn off the console and re-attach the drive. If red lights come up again with the HDD attached, then the HDD will need to be repaired or replaced. 

Remove memory units
Turn off the console and remove any memory cards or USB devices from the console. If you turn the console back on and one red light is still showing, please continue to the next step. If the console is showing green lights after the memory card or USB has been removed, then the memory unit or USB will need to be replaced or re-configured.

Disconnect accessories

Turn off the console and remove any and all USB accessories, such as Wireless Networking Adapters, wired controllers, or the Kinect Sensor (only display and power cords should still be plugged into the console at this point). If the console is showing green lights with the accessories removed, then the accessories will need to be replaced. You can experiment with one accessory connected at a time to locate the hav of the issue.

But I still have questions!

If this guide didn’t resolve your issue, or if you have questions about the steps found in this guide, then feel free to make a post in this forum! Please include the steps you’ve tried in your post, to better help the community help you.

My console has two red lights

Okay, so your console has two flashing red lights, which usually indicates that your console is too hot and cannot cool down properly. The first thing you’ll want to check is if the area around your console is open and clean, or if it’s cramped and cluttered. 

Optimize your console environment
Take a few minutes to clean the environment around your console. Make sure that nothing is sitting on top of the console, and that the ventilation ports on the console (you know, those little holes that hot air comes out of?) and power supply are unobstructed. Make sure your console is on a hard, flat surface, too. Do not leave your console on a carpet, rug, or pillow. Lastly, make sure that your console isn’t in direct sunlight, or near a heating vent.

Allow your console to cool
Turn off your console and leave it off for at least one hour. If you still see two red lights when you turn your console back on, your console will require a repair. You can check your warranty status and set one up at via our
Online Service Center.

If this guide didn’t resolve your issue, or if you have questions about the steps found in this guide, then feel free to make a post in this forum! Don’t forget to include the steps you’ve already tried, to better help us help you.

My console has three red lights

Okay, your console is showing three red lights, but don’t worry! We’ll work through this together. The first thing to check is the light on the power supply unit (the brick that plugs into your wall or power strip). What color do you see?

The light on my power supply unit is green.

If the light on your power supply unit is green and your console is showing three red lights, then your console will need to be repaired. You can check your warranty status and set up a repair using our
Online Service Center.

The light on my power supply unit is orange.

Check your power supply cables
Turn off your console. Unplug the power supply from your console and remove the power cord from the outlet and the other end of the power supply. Reattach the cables, making sure everything is plugged in nice and snug. Also, make sure you’re plugged directly into the wall, and not into a surge protector. Turn your console back on. If the light on the power supply is still orange, continue to the next step.

Try a different outlet
Turn off your console. Unplug your power supply from the console and the wall outlet, and then take the power supply and console into another room. Don’t worry about the video cables for now. 

Plug the power supply into an outlet in the room, and then plug the power supply into the console. When you’ve made sure everything is nice and snug, turn on the console. (The console will flash four red lights, but that’s because the video cable isn’t attached, so don’t worry.) 

What color is the light on the power supply now? Is it green? If so, then the issue is with wall outlet, and not the power supply or console (be sure not to plug into that outlet until the outlet has been repaired, or until the power strip on the outlet has been replaced). 

If the light on the power supply is still orange, the power supply will need to be replaced.

The light on my power supply unit is red.

Turn off your console. Unplug the power supply from your console, and remove the power cord from the outlet and the other end of the power supply. Reattach the cables, making sure everything is plugged in nice and snug. Also, be sure you’re plugging directly into the wall, and not into a surge protector. Turn your console back on. If the light on the power supply is still red, continue to the next step.

Try a different outlet
Turn off your console. Unplug your power supply from the console and the wall outlet, and then take the power supply and console into another room. Don’t worry about the video cables for now. 

Plug the power supply into an outlet in the room, and then plug the power supply into the cable. Make sure everything is nice and snug, and then power on the console. (The console will flash four red lights, but only because the video cable isn’t attached, so don’t worry.) 

What color is the light on the power supply now? Is it green? If so, then the issue is with wall outlet, and not the power supply or console (be sure not to plug into that outlet until the outlet has been repaired, or until the power strip on the outlet has been replaced). 

Let your power supply cool down
Turn off your Xbox 360 console. Unplug the power supply from its outlet and from the console, and let the supply cool down for one hour. Once cooled, reattach the cable to the console and outlet, make sure everything is nice and snug, and turn the console back on. If the light on the power supply is still red, the power supply will need to be replaced.

My power supply is showing no light at all.

Turn off your console. Unplug the power supply from your console, then remove the power cord from the outlet and the other end of the power supply. Reattach the cables, making sure everything is plugged in good and snug. Also, be sure you’re plugging directly into an outlet, and not into a surge protector. Turn your console back on. If the light on the power supply is still orange, continue to the next step.

Try a different outlet
Turn off your console. Unplug your power supply from the console and the wall outlet, and then take the power supply and console into another room. Don’t worry about the video cables—they’re not important right now. 

Plug the power supply into an outlet in the room, and then plug the power supply into the cable. Make sure everything is nice and snug, and then power on the console. (The console will flash four red lights, but only because the video cable isn’t attached, so don’t worry.) 

If the power supply still isn’t showing light, the power supply will need to be replaced.

If this guide didn’t resolve your issue, or if you have questions about the steps found in this guide, then feel free to make a post in this forum! Be sure to include the steps you’ve tried, to better help the community help you.

Emily - Program Manager @ Xbox, Xbox One Preview Program

Verified Answer
    • Level   X
    • Verified Answer
    • Verified by

Verified!

Emily - Program Manager @ Xbox, Xbox One Preview Program

All Replies