This question is answered

Your controller isn't working

• Level   X

How do I connect my controller?
If you are using a wireless controller, try to sync your controller to your console. You can doing this by turning on the console, and then pushing the sync button on both the controller (small circular button near the left bumper) and the console (on the original console, the small circular button by the power button; on the S console, the small square button near the front USB ports). The green lights should flash in a circle, then all flash, and then one light will remain indicating which controller position the controller currently is. 

If you are using a wired controller, try unplugging the controller for a few seconds and then firmly reinserting the USB connector. If it still isn’t working, try a different USB port as that particular port might be bad (if this is the case, you will want to use our Online Service Center to set up a console repair). 

My controller won’t connect (flashing green lights)
Does your controller turn on, but can’t seem to connect properly? Perhaps you already have four controllers connected. Are all four green lights around the power button on the console currently lit up? If so, you need to disconnect one of them. 

To disconnect a wireless controller, press and hold the guide button for a few seconds, then select “Turn off controller” from the menu. To disconnect a wireless headset, press and hold the power button until it turns off. To disconnect a wired controller… well, I’m sure you get the idea. 

My wireless controller won’t stay connected (“Please reconnect controller” error)
Before troubleshooting, make sure any objects between the controller and console are removed, such as doors, shelves, or metal dividers. Also make sure that other wireless devices are kept clear of this are, including wireless routers, cordless phones, or microwave ovens. Sorry, you’ll have to make the walk to the kitchen to zap your ramen! 

Also check to make sure your batteries are fresh. If you use rechargeable AAs or Microsoft brand rechargeable battery packs, make sure they are fully charged. You can try using a different battery source to see if there might be an issue with your current batteries. If you are having trouble charging your Microsoft rechargeable battery pack, please check this support article, choosing “The rechargeable battery does not charge when you…” option.

Still having issues with your controller?
If your controller still won’t work, try connecting it to a different console. If it works on this other console, there is probably an issue with your console. If the controller still doesn’t work on the new console, there is probably an issue with the controller itself. If it was recently purchased, try returning it to the retailer for a replacement. If you can’t take it back, but it’s still within the Accessory Warranty period (Bottom of this page), you can use the Xbox Online Service Center to order a new one. If it’s been longer than the Accessory Warranty period, then you would want to purchase a new controller at your retailer.

Verified Answer
    • Level   X
    • Verified Answer
    • Verified by

Verified!!

All Replies
    • Level   X
    • Verified Answer
    • Verified by

Verified!!