This question is answered

Red Light on AC Power Adapter

• Level   1

Just recently, my Xbox 360 Slim (4GB) has been randomly shutting off and the light on the AC Power Adapter ( The power box thing ) turns red and i have to unplug the cord from the wall and let it cool. I had seen another post about a buzzing power box, and that WAS happening to me, but it stopped and now this is happening. I can't leave my xbox on for over 15 minutes without it shutting off randomly. I've looked online for AC Power Adapters for the Xbox 360 Slim and I can't find one anywhere that is for the xbox 360 slim, only 1 for the older xboxs. Please help me!!

-cP Over

Verified Answer
  • It sounds like your xbox may be overheating so it shuts itself off for protection. It sounds like it's the power supply. You can read more up on it HERE. But to me it does sound like the power supply. Good chance you will want to call xbox support at 1800-4MY-XBOX (1800-469-9269). Hope you can get it fixed soon so you can get back to playing!

~Life is just a game, but gaming is LIFE~

• Level   S
    • Verified Answer
    • Verified by

Greetings, indirect76. As this thread is quite old would you be able to create a new thread for us? Please be sure to include a full description of your situation as well as any error codes you are seeing and the troubleshooting steps you've tried so far. This will enable us to provide you with the best support possible. Thanks in advance!

How to use the forums
    Retired Support Agent - No PMs please!

All Replies
    • Level   1

Please help me :(

• It sounds like your xbox may be overheating so it shuts itself off for protection. It sounds like it's the power supply. You can read more up on it HERE. But to me it does sound like the power supply. Good chance you will want to call xbox support at 1800-4MY-XBOX (1800-469-9269). Hope you can get it fixed soon so you can get back to playing!

~Life is just a game, but gaming is LIFE~

• Level   1
    • Suggested Answer

If your Xbox was new when purchased, and it hasn't been too long ago it when you purchased it, your xbox may be under warranty. I'm not certain if the Power supply is included in the warranty, but if so you can call the Xbox company to schedule a repair order. If not, another option you may want to pursue is to just buy another power supply from a retailer or online. I think they sell them individually, but I don't know the price. The drawback to this is that if the power box is not the problem, you'll be out the money for a new power box but don't really need one; so I would be sure as much as possible that this is the problem before investing in this. By default, I would just resort to calling Xbox at 1-800-4MYXBOX and ask them for assistance like RedOneFlyer suggested... Hope this is at least somewhat helpful!!!

• Level   4

You can get power supplies from microsoft, all you have to do is go here https://myservice.xbox.com/ and order a new one

• Level   1
    • Suggested Answer

what i did is every time i played i would put the box next to a fan or a window to keep it cool.

• Level   1
    • Suggested Answer

This is a problem that most people have. If your power brick is on a carpeted area it can't breeth and it is a lot more prone to overheating. Another tip I can suggest is to keep it elevated or put it on a hard surface so that air can get underneeth it preventing it for overheating. Also do the same to your Xbox 360 put it on a hard surface so air can get under it too. You can also purchase and intercooler to help your Xbox 360 from overheating. Fallow these tips and you can expand the life of your Xbox 360 console from the dreaded RED RING OF DEATH.

• Level   1

One way to fix it is to let it cool down then put it in a bag, put it in the freezer (the top one) and then leave it there for 20 minutes I hope this works because it worked for me.

• Level   1

I think this is an Issue with the way you placed your Xbox/Power Supply. Do not block any ventilation openings on the console or power supply. And do not place your console or power supply on a sofa, bed or other soft surface that may block ventilation openings.Do not place the console or power supply in a confined space, such as a bookcase, rack, or stereo cabinet, unless the space is well ventilated.

For more information, refer to your Xbox 360 Important Information Guide that came with your Xbox.

• Level   S

This thread is very old, and no longer is in need of assistance from anyone. Please do not bring up old threads, and remember to check the dates on top of each post. Thank you.

- Retired Support Agent -

• Level   1

I am now on my fourth power supply. I take very good care to prevent it from overheating. There is more to this because Ive only had the PSUs go bad since moving into a new house two years ago. Can it be related to the electrical system?

• Level   S
    • Verified Answer
    • Verified by

Greetings, indirect76. As this thread is quite old would you be able to create a new thread for us? Please be sure to include a full description of your situation as well as any error codes you are seeing and the troubleshooting steps you've tried so far. This will enable us to provide you with the best support possible. Thanks in advance!

How to use the forums
    Retired Support Agent - No PMs please!

• Level   1

I'm having a similar problem, except my xbox won't even start. It's lights up, then the AC converter light goes red and it shuts off before it can even open the home screen.

• Level   S

Hey alex98sc10! If you could also follow Mister Darcy's request that would be great! :)