This question is answered

Adding memory to Xbox 360 S

• Level   1

Okay. I am a noob 360 owner that just purchased the 4GB 360 S, and wanted to know what options I have when it comes to adding memory via external harddrive or USB stick.

There is a lot of discrepant information that I've read about this on many sites, so I just want the simplest answer in layman's terms.

What external harddrives, and which capacities, are compatible with the 360 S? Are there specific companies that I have to buy from? Same question goes for a USB drive.

Also, am I able to perform game saves on either of the harddrive or USB stick? finally, once I do purchase either, how do I go about "installing" it once connected to the 360?

Any information is greatly appreciated. I don't need a ton of rhetoric. All I want to know is what I need to have to use my 360 with additional memory. Straight and simple. Thanks

Verified Answer
    • Level   5
    • Verified Answer
    • Verified by

yes, you can use an external hard drive as long as it can be hooked up to the USB port and be used for game saves, but the system will only recognize up to 16 gig so does not matter if you have a 20 gig, 200 gig, or a 2000 (2 Terabyte) gig drive the system will ONLY use 16 gig of it.  yes you can use USB thumb drives between 1 gig but no more than 16 (anything bigger than 16 gig will only use up to 16 gig).  could have sworn I said this earlier but ya never know.  as for compatibility I am not sure the cheap brands may not work I used a 4 gig flash drive from gigaware (radio shack brand) and it worked great on my 360 when I took my profile and saves to my brothers place in L.A. instead of hauling my 360 with me.

XBOX 360, kicking other consoles backsides since 2005.

• Level   5
    • Verified Answer
    • Verified by

in theory any should work as long as it is at least 1 gig or more but I have had ZERO problems with my radio shack brand 4 gig that I paid 14 bucks for, also the sandisk brands are good (sandisk makes the 360 USB flash drive but it cost more than a standard sandisk flash).

All Replies
    • Level   5

well you have choices, if you want to add a internal MS brand drive you can get a 250 gig for 99 bucks or a 320 gig for 129 and most have a download for a free lego star wars game.  you can add a flash drive of at least 1 gig to a max of 16 times 2 (up to 32 gigs total).  now if you plug in an external drive does not matter HOW big the drive is, the 360 will only see and use up to 16 gig of it (treats it like a big flash drive).

• Level   1

So essentially, the only options I have are to buy another internal harddrive [which i do not want to do], or buy a 16gb usb stick, or any harddrive of ANY TYPE which will only use 16GB?

• Level   1

And as for the flash drive times two thing, what you are trying to say is that if I have TWO 16GB usb flash drives plugged in AT THE SAME TIME, that will work ?

• Level   5

yes you can have up to 2 for a total of up to 32 gigs (16 x 2)  as for the hard drive option if you buy used from places like game stop you can save some coin, I saw a 320 gig there for a tad over 100 bucks I paid 90 for my 250 gig for my 4 gig slim in Feb.  just make sure it is a REAL MS made drive the fakes that are online for cheap may work for saving games installing games but will not let you play the old xbox games if they are compatible with the 360.

• Level   1

So can you have ONE USB stick that is 32 gigs big and work properly? And how do I know if a drive is real Microsoft made? Does the same rule go for USB drive?

• Level   1

You can not upgrade the memory like on you can on a PC. However as the other posters stated there are options for upgrading the storage of your console.

• Level   1

Like what? That's what I want to do, upgrade the storage.

Why can't anybody just give it to me in simple English.

Can I add an external harddrive where I can perform game saves. Yes, or no. How much memory will the Xbox recognize. And which make is compatible.

Can I add a USB thumb drive to my Xbox and perform game saves. Yes, or no. How much memory will the Xbox recognize. Which make is compatible?

That's it.

• Level   5
    • Verified Answer
    • Verified by

yes, you can use an external hard drive as long as it can be hooked up to the USB port and be used for game saves, but the system will only recognize up to 16 gig so does not matter if you have a 20 gig, 200 gig, or a 2000 (2 Terabyte) gig drive the system will ONLY use 16 gig of it.  yes you can use USB thumb drives between 1 gig but no more than 16 (anything bigger than 16 gig will only use up to 16 gig).  could have sworn I said this earlier but ya never know.  as for compatibility I am not sure the cheap brands may not work I used a 4 gig flash drive from gigaware (radio shack brand) and it worked great on my 360 when I took my profile and saves to my brothers place in L.A. instead of hauling my 360 with me.

• Level   1

Are there any third party internal harddrives that i can buy that will work with the Slim? apparently not just any old harddrive will work with it...

• Level   2

I would buy a Official Xbox 360 Slim Hard Drive.  

Xbox Live Ambassador

• Level   5

yeah there are no 3rd party hard drives only bootlegs that may look like the real ones and can have the correct size (250 or 320 gig) but they are not as good and MOST are missing the old xbox emulation.

• Level   1

Thank you kind sir.

Final question. Can any type of USB stick work for game saves, or does it have to be some special MS type like for the internal hard drive?

• Level   5
    • Verified Answer
    • Verified by

in theory any should work as long as it is at least 1 gig or more but I have had ZERO problems with my radio shack brand 4 gig that I paid 14 bucks for, also the sandisk brands are good (sandisk makes the 360 USB flash drive but it cost more than a standard sandisk flash).

• Level   1

Ooo, think Im gonna pick me up a 16GB stick then and run with that. Thanks!

• Level   1

what's up with the 16 gig limitation? Is this Microsoft's way of making you pay for storage in the cloud?