This question has suggested answer(s)

Hard Drive Error E68

• Level   2

I believe my hard drive is completely broken. I have a slim and my 250GB hard drive, when inserted, stops my xbox from starting up. I just get an immediate error E68. Obviously I can't reformat it or anything on the console because I can't even get to the dashboard when its in. Is there anything I can do or do I just toss it in the trash?

All Replies
    • Level   9
    • Suggested Answer

KBD Blackout

I believe my hard drive is completely broken. I have a slim and my 250GB hard drive, when inserted, stops my xbox from starting up. I just get an immediate error E68. Obviously I can't reformat it or anything on the console because I can't even get to the dashboard when its in. Is there anything I can do or do I just toss it in the trash?

The E68 error means your Hard Drive is having a hardware issue. You can get your Hard Drive fixed or replaced if it's under warranty. Check out the following, from the Error Codes page. 

E68, E69 Use our Flashing Lights Solution. Choose one flashing light as the problem and follow the steps in the solution. Try the following steps:
    1. Disconnect and reconnect all accessories.
    2. Remove the hard drive.
    3. Remove any USB flash drives.
    4. If the system error message does not display with the hard drive removed, your hard drive may be experiencing a hardware failure. Order a new Xbox 360 Hard Drive from our Xbox Online Service Center (sign in with your Windows Live ID). Console registration is required to replace a hard drive under warranty.

If the above steps don't solve the issue, request a repair.