This question is answered

Open tray error

• Level   2

Today I turned on my xbox and I was playing COD: Modern Warfare 2. I changed the disc and it said "Open Tray" when I put the disc in. I tried again and again but it wouldn't work. I assumed there was a problem with the disc but I tried with every disc I have and it still wouldn't work. I looked on youtube and all the videos told me to bang my xbox but I don't wanna risk damaging it. I asked my friends and none of them knew what to do. Do I have to buy a new xbox or is there something I have to do? I tried turning it off and back on twice and nothing happened.
                                                                                            Thanks,
                                                                                                        View Terra 

Verified Answer
  • Try following what it says here: support.xbox.com/.../disc-drive-solution

Let us know how it goes!

"You see that 2 next to my name?" ~ Maxen13

• It would seem so, if the console is less than a year old it will be repaired free of charge but anything over a year and it will cost. The cost varies depending on your region and location. If your console has ever been opened up or has signs that someone has attempted to open it Microsoft will not fix it for you.

• If you go on the following link and click "How much does an out-of-warranty repair cost?" it will show you the price: support.xbox.com/.../warranty-faq

All Replies
  • Try following what it says here: support.xbox.com/.../disc-drive-solution

Let us know how it goes!

• Level   2

Unfortunately it didn't work. Do I have to send it out to be repaired?

• It would seem so, if the console is less than a year old it will be repaired free of charge but anything over a year and it will cost. The cost varies depending on your region and location. If your console has ever been opened up or has signs that someone has attempted to open it Microsoft will not fix it for you.

• Level   2

The console is 3-4 years old, No one has opened it up and this is the 5th or 6th error with it. It's been sent out before because of red ring of death and it was within warranty. I live in Ireland and I don't think there's any Microsoft offices anywhere near me. I'll only get it fixed if it costs under 55 euro. Will it be around that price or not? No worries if you don't know.

• If you go on the following link and click "How much does an out-of-warranty repair cost?" it will show you the price: support.xbox.com/.../warranty-faq

• Level   2

• Level   2

I think it would be cheaper to get another Xbox Arcade

• Level   7

It might be but a second hand Arcade may just break again rather quickly and have no warranty which in the long run may cost more, on the other hand it may perform perfectly for the next few years. It's your choice as to what you want to buy but if you can, try and get a console which was manufactured during/after 2009 as other than the Slim model, they are the most reliable original Xbox 360's you will get due to their internal design.

• Level   2

I'll try get a cheap second hand elite or arcade so :D