This question is not answered

Why Won't My Xbox 360 Recognize My Memory Card Anymore?

• Level   2

Since Hulu Plus was playing like a slide show, I tried to delete it from my memory card and re-install it.  But not only did this not work, the Xbox now doesn't even recognize the memory card anymore and it doesn't even show up under "Storage".  How can I fix this?

All Replies
    • Level   2

Is it an Xbox Memory unit, or a USB flash drive?

Xbox Ambassador - Here to help with questions, or finding new friends, message me anytime.

(I am not an employee of MS, just a humble gaming addict)

• Level   1

If it is an Xbox 360 Memory Chip, then there shouldn't be a problem there. But if it was bought third-party, then I believe the update made it to where you cannot use third-party memory chips now.

• Level   2

It's a third-party USB drive.  The Xbox still recognizes my other memory card, which is an official Xbox one.  Is this a problem for everyone?

• Level   2

It is possible that the USB storage device became corrupt, or has failed. Depending on the type of device, there are a limited number of read/write operations. Some of the older (cheaper?) chips were rated at 1,000. Most newer technology chips will get 10,000 to millions of operations. Considering that the console will read/write to the storage device quite often, especially if there is a gamertag stored on the device, hitting the 1k to 10k operations may not take all that long if you use the console frequently.

Also, keep in mind that devices like this are quite static sensitive, so if you handle it frequently, or move it between devices, it is possible it got zapped. Sometimes a static zap will simply corrupt the contents of the device. Other times it may completely fry the internal chips. Always be sure to keep the plug end covered while in transport. The 'exposed' part is the ground/shielding and protects the otherwise sensitive chips. But if you make contact with the inner contacts (or, perhaps the keys/change that is jingling along for the ride in you pocket), you could damage your storage device.

One way to check and see if it is the storage device would be to insert it into a computer. Most modern operating systems will detect it and provide you access to it (or prompt you to format it appropriately). If you can replace (i.e. re-download) the content on the storage device, then I would suggest formatting on the computer to check for any error messages. If that succeeds, it should show up when you move it back to the console, where you can re-format it for the XBOX 360. It if doesn't show up on the computer, or displays error messages, then the storage device has probably failed.

Too many games... Not enough time! 

• Level   S

Greetings, Metropolis4ever! Thank you for bringing your question to the forums. Let's see what we can do to get this sorted out. To start, I'd like a little more clarification on your situation.

What exactly did you try to delete and reinstall? Are you referring to the Hulu app? In addition, when you say your console does not recognize the memory card, are you referring specifically to a USB drive or your hard drive? Any error messages you are seeing would be very helpful, so if you could post those there for us that would be very much appreciated.

How to use the forums
    Retired Support Agent - No PMs please!

• Level   3

Hey there!

I think the best course of action would be to format the drive via a computer (it should prompt you to do such upon plugging it into a USB slot), and then reconfigure it for Xbox use. If it's a Memory Unit, try plugging it into a different port on the Xbox (I believe Xboxes have 2 MU ports?) and see if it reads there. If it does, format it that way.

Xbox LIVE Community Ambassador

• Level   2

I never received any error messages.  I merely deleted the Hulu app and re-installed it.  Since it still wasn't working right, I turned off my console - and, after turning my console back on, the Xbox no longer even recognized the memory card.  I tried plugging it into different ports, but nothing worked.

• Level   2

My laptop recognizes my flash drive, so it obviously isn't broken.  It must be a problem with the Xbox.

• Level   1

I agree with Metropolis4Ever. It definitely seems like a software glitch within the X-Box, and not the flash drive; I say this because I am having the same issue, over and over and over again. The flash drives have been working for a few years, and only recently (maybe a few months) have began corrupting my profile account data - which is really starting to **** me off, to be honest. I am about to try a few more things that I learned about after spending the last 2 1/2 hours on this website, searching forums and blogs and support and blablabla. I am sure the issue will not go away, and I know that more and more people are running into this issue. I am thinking that the issue is going to reside within the Internal Hard-Drive - but the question is......Why? I do not mistreat my box, I am a full time student at a university and work part time - I get to actually use my xbox very rarely...usually Only during some parts of the summer and whatever breaks during the academic year. So, having only so many hours of play on a slightly new xbox, and already having issues with storage...how long has the console been out now? I apologize, I am just agitated. But I know that if the unit continues to deteriorate, I refuse to pay to fix it, especially considering how Little I am able to use the unit.

Thanks for letting me Vent - Xbox live forum :)

If anyone has any actual advice (like users/customers preferably) please send me a message. I do not want to hear a certified rep tell me that this and this and that happened and its my fault - I too work as a CSR troubleshooting units/devices/motors all day - I can see behind the curtain.

THANK YOU

Good luck to you all

• Level   1

So, I am back ...... 10 minutes later... I tried putting the flash-drive in my desktop computer (this flash drive isn't showing up on the xbox [Issue#1]) and I need to successfully move, transfer, blabla all the *** I have and the other flash drive is small...this one is 8GB.

I can definitely tell you that the x-box did something to the drive and not vice versa. When I put the flash-drive into my computer, it cannot even stay recognized for longer than 2 seconds (literally). My computer keeps making the same noises over and over (plugging-in and unplugging a USB device "bee-boop" then "boo-beep")

So not only is my XBOX profile corrupted, so is a 50$ flash drive, possibly the other flash drive, and I have a strong feeling that the Hard drive will soon be my worst enemy. I would not have purchased a crappy 10$ USB drive to put into my $300+ xbox 360...that just doesn't make sense. This is a top-quality USB drive that I paid good money for because I believe in treating my possessions with solid, superb, resilient accessories....

Why would this happen out of nowhere? When I used my xbox in late January everything was fine...then I didn't even touch the xbox (maybe for a movie every now and then) until a bout a month ago. Nothing changed with the unit, no damage, no nothing...barely any physical contact.

Exxxxplain!

Thank you..again..all

:)

• Level   2

Same here.  My Xbox is a Slim model that has barely been used.  There's really no reason for it to mess up constantly.

• Level   2

@ Metropolis4ever -- use your PC to reformat the flash drive, and then try using it in your console. It should detect it as a PC drive and offer to prepare it for the console (either re-formatting it, or files/folders in a PC compatible format).

@tr3vd4wg -- every time you turn on your console it will search the storage devices for gamertags, etc. So,  just using it to watch movies, even if you didn't log in, your console was in effect accessing the USB flash drive.

If your USB device has an activity indicator (i.e. blinking LED?) you probably noticed how often the console reads/writes to the device, especially if you have your gamertag stored on it. Many games have autosave features, and many online games will save stats after every match/round. Depending on the game, you may find that the activity light is continuously blinking. And, depending on the type of chip used (which the consumer really has no knowledge or control over) the limited number of accesses could easily occur within a short amount of time. The cost of the flash drive does not guarantee the quality or type if chip used internally. No matter how rugged or solid the device may have been built, the type of chip is the culprit. Keep in mind that this is very different from how a flash drive is accessed on a PC, which will often cache the data and write it all at once (usually when you select the 'safely eject' option to remove the device). So, using a chip limited to 10,000 access would be a long time before a failure pattern was detected on a PC (several years), assuming the PC access the drive a few times a day. The console, on the other hand, could be accessing that device a hundred of times in an hour, cutting the expected lifespan down to just several months of active use. Even so, based on my PC experience with flash drives, I would never use them to store anything important. And, based on the number of times I have had to try to recover data from SD/MicroSD cards, the USB devices are not the only ones with this habit.

Another thing to keep in mind is that the USB ports on the console are always on. So, even though you may have had your console sitting there unused for a long time, if it was plugged in, flash drive (and any other divice you have plugged into the USB ports) were powered the whole time.

So, as an alternate storage media, I suggest using HDD based USB devices if you can. The console will only use 16 Gb of of a USB HDD, so don't go looking for something huge. But, you can store other stuff on the remaining drive space (like a backup of PC files?), audio files, etc. Or if you really want to get tricky, you can keep multiple 16 Gb sets of Xbox 360 data by renaming the folder(s) via a PC. Granted, you can only access one set at a time on the console, and would have to connect the drive to a PC to rename the folder(s) each time you want to 'swap' to the other data.

When I migrated to the slim, I realized I was no longer going to be able to simply take my HDD unit from one console to the other like I used to with the HDD unit on the old white consoles. So I picked up a couple 160 Gb external USB HDD drives very cheap at a swap meet a while back. They are basically 2.5 in drives in external USB enclosures powered via the USB cable. A little bit of personal testing (i.e. with a stopwatch), and I determined that these drives were on par with the internal HDD unit, and much faster than a flash drive. Even though they didn't pass the 'compatibility test' when you prep it in the console, I haven't had a problem with them, even installing the games and playing from them. If you keep your eyes open for closeouts/clearance bins you can probably find an 80 Gb to 160 Gb USB drive for less than a 16 Gb flash drive, especially if you are willing to live with some promotional branding on it (mine were obviously leftovers from some promotion/seminar). So, even if you never end up using the rest of the drive space, you can probably save yourself some money, and a whole lot of stress.

Too many games... Not enough time! 

• Level   2

I have tried plugging it into my computer, but I don't know how to reformat a flash drive on Windows 7.  All instructions I've seen have been for Windows XP.

• Level   8

Metropolis4ever

I have tried plugging it into my computer, but I don't know how to reformat a flash drive on Windows 7.  All instructions I've seen have been for Windows XP.

Pop the drive in a USB slot on the pc, open libraries, scroll down on the left side untill you see the drive in question, right click on it, Format option is about halfway down the window. 

"I don't celebrate because it is my job. When a postman delivers his letters, does he celebrate?" - Mario Balotelli

• Level   2

The only things listed under Libraries are "Documents", "Music", "Pictures", and "Videos".  Nothing related to flash drives.