This question has suggested answer(s)

HDMI not working....

• Level   3

My problem: today I unplugged the HDMI cord that connects my 720p Sylvania 22" TV from my Xbox 360 (Slim, 250gb) in order to plug it into an HDMI to mini-DVI cord (I was plugging it into my Mac). After I plugged it back into the 360 I received absolutely no signal from my TV. From the research I have done, I believe this problem can be referred to the HDMI-handshake error.

NOTE: The component cables still work.

So I have just spent the last eight hours googling how to fix this problem, to no avail.... here is what I tried:

-Unplugging everything and replugging everything (TV power, 360 power, every cord, etc.) over and over and over

-Using a brand new HDMI cord

-Using the other HDMI input on my TV

-Pressing Y+RT while starting up my 360 in order to reset my display settings; NOTE: I have tried this while connected through the component input too... this does absolutely nothing no matter how long I hold it for.

-Trying to blindly change my display settings, as in navigating through the system settings without seeing anything through a display. I know that I am navigating to the right menu as I wrote done what to press, and I can turn off my console and/or controller while doing this blindly also.

***I did this all with no disc in the 360. And yes, I am using the right source input on my TV when trying to use the HDMI.

None of this has worked. I am getting extremely frustrated. I literally purchased this 360 on July 17th, 2012. I do NOT want to send this in for repair as my 8+ hours of researching this problem has pointed out that that is not a solution (I believe the problem exists solely between the specific 360 and the specific TV). I also read that restoring your 360 to default settings does nothing.

Please, please help me as I am getting so frustrated by this. I can manage with component for now but I want my HDMI back.

All Replies
    • Level   3

Is it possible for you to try the xbox on another tv or monitor with HDMI connection? Have you tried another HDMI input source other than the 360 on your tv since this problem started?

If possible test this out and let us know what happens.

• Level   3

I tried using HDMI input 2 on my TV. I usually use 1. Neither have worked.

I have not been able to try this on another TV as of now.

• Level   9

Hi,  you may want to take a look at this thread

-

http://forums.xbox.com/xbox_forums/xbox_support/f/7/t/260029.aspx

-

If nothing in there helps you out, then you could try this, disconnect the hdmi cable from the console, power the console on and wait for around thirty seconds, connect the hdmi cable back to the console. This has in some cases forced the handshake between the tv and console to take place. As I'm sure you are aware this is not really a recommended thing to do and may carry a small risk of damage to your console/tv, it has worked for others but you try this at your own risk.

-

Have you tried powering the tv on first and then the console, or the console first and then the tv, this can also force the handshake to take place.

CLICK for the latest Xbox Live Service Status.

CLICK if you need to start the repair process for your Xbox product.

• Level   3

UPDATE: I tried connecting my 360 to my roommate's TV via the HDMI input and that TV too received no signal.

ThingOnAString: I had already read that thread before creating this one. I have tried mostly everything in that thread and none of that has worked.

I am going to try what you suggest but I believe I've already tried it.

• Level   9

Does your component cable have the switch on it that enables you to select tv/ HDTV?

-

If so flick the switch to tv, power your console on and let it boot to the dashboard, power off and switch back to the hdmi cable, see if that helps.

• Level   3

Your best bet may be to contact microsoft and see if the console needs repair. I know this isnt the solution you wanted to come too but they may know another solution.

support.xbox.com/.../contact-us

• Level   3

ThingOnAString: just tried that and it didn't work.

I realize this may be my last option, I'm just so frustrated because it was working today and all the days before until I unplugged the HDMI to plug it into that mini-DVI converter. I did so much googling on this and the problem seems to have so many solutions and yet it seems completely unfixable.

Also, with my past interactions with sending and Xbox 360 for repair, they never just repair it, they send me some old, dented, refurbished Xbox that was never mine to begin with. At least that was what happened with my old 20gb white 360.

• Level   9

I know you said you tried blindly to set the output resolution but can you try this one more time please.

-

This assumes your profile is set to auto log in.

-

With the hdmi cable connected power on the console, press up once on the dpad, then right six times on the dpad, down once and press A four times, up four times and then press A. Do you get anything showing on your tv?

• Level   9

If you still don't see anything, then where it says to press up four times try three times.

• Level   9

If that doesn't work, try this.

-

Power on the console, dpad up once, right six times, down once, press A three times, down four times, press A, up once, press A, then press A again.

• Level   9

I have to head out to work now, if the post above doesn't help then where it says up once near the end try down once, this is the display discovery option and you are trying to enable/disable it.

• Level   3

I tried all three of those suggestions and none of them worked. I have heard of that Display Discovery option but have never seen it once in the display menu (does it only show up when hooked via HDMI?).

But anyways, thank you ThingOnAString. I really appreciate your effort to help me. If you happen to remember anything in the near future please let me know.

• Level   9
    • Suggested Answer

Well its not looking good is it, the repair route is looming over the horizon. Try this please, make sure your tv is on some other input source other than the one you use for your console. Power off the tv, power on the console and wait for about 30 seconds, power the tv on and then switch to the consoles input.

-

I'd that doesn't work then try disconnecting the power cable from your console, press the power button and or eject button on the console for a few seconds then hook the power cable back up and give it a try.

- Display discovery is an Hdmi only option as far as I am aware.

• Level   3

I'm giving up and sending it in. Thanks again for your help.

• Level   9

:( sorry we didn't get you up and running.