This question has suggested answer(s)

XBOX 360 Wireless Receiver Won't Connect to XBOX 360 Controller - Windows 7 Pro. 64-bit

• Level   1

I posted this originally in the Windows > Windows 7 > Gaming Forums, but apparently that was incorrect. I was instead directed here by a Microsoft support agent. Anyways...

I just received my  XBOX 360 wireless receiver and I have tried all the most prevalent guides and fixes to attempt to get it to work with either of my wireless XBOX 360 controllers and it simply won't work.
I'm really at a loss here. Have tried multiple times, uninstalling and reinstalling drivers, system restoring to ensure no other drivers are around to hamper me, I have tried almost all of my USB 2.0 ports and both of my 3.0 ports. I have followed the guide in the aforementioned article to the tee multiple times, restarted and update my PC twice, all to no avail. Has anyone else experienced this? Did I just get a faulty receiver? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Not using a factory built PC. Running a custom built machine. Important specs are as follows:
Asus P8Z68 Deluxe Gen 3 Motherboard
Intel Core i5 2500k CPU
GTX 580 SC GPU
8GB (2x4GB) 1866 RAM
All Replies
    • Level   7

Where did you get the reciever? Try and exchange it if you did all the troubleshooting steps.

• Level   5
    • Suggested Answer

Hi, firstly I don't know why the support agent would send you to the Xbox support forums but anyway. Dumb question but you are pressing the connect button on the receiver ?

• Level   4
    • Suggested Answer

And also don't forget to press the connect button on the controller as well.

• Level   1

Yes I'm pressing the connect button =_=" it's a third party one, had to order it off eBay. It's the same one you would end up buying on amazon, Microsoft hasn't made them for like 5 years. If it doesn't start working I'm just going to send it back. I would prefer not to though, honestly.

• Level   4
    • Suggested Answer

You know that Amazon do sell official Microsoft wireless receivers.

• Level   1

Ah, probably should have mentioned it's amazon.ca. Canadian amazon is trash compared to its American and German counterparts. It is essentially Ah, probably should have mentioned it's amazon.ca. Canadian amazon is trash compared to its American and German counterparts. It is this http://www.amazon.ca/Xbox-360-Wireless-Gaming-Receiver/dp/B000HZFCT2/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1345896119&sr=8-2, except in black.

• Level   5
    • Suggested Answer

Hi, did you read the reviews on amazon, apparently the receiver needs quite a bit of power to function. Do you have other USB devices connected to your pc? Try connecting just the receiver and see if it works. One solution in a review was to use a powered USB hub.

• Level   1

Only things plugged into USB are my mouse, keyboard, phone charger cable (no phone plugged in) and the receiver. Oh boy.

• Level   S
    • Suggested Answer

Hey there, ThingOnAString. Can you try the steps that ThingOnAString suggested and get back to us with the results? Thanks very much!

How to use the forums
    Retired Support Agent - No PMs please!

• Level   1

heres the solution to every system/format,even 3rd party  adapters works

after download the software and plug the adapter

Right click on Computer

Go to Properties

Click on Device Manager

Right click on the Unidentified Device

Go to Properties

Go to the Drive tab

Click on Update Driver…

Browse my computer for driver software

Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer

Microsoft Common Controller for Window Class

Xbox 360 Wireless Receiver for Windows Version: 2.1.0.1349 [8/13/2009]

Update Driver Warning

Click Yes

i cant believe it was that simple, you dont need to download any seperate driver or anything, just follow the steps.

thanks