This question is answered

External Hard Drive Data Transfer Question

• Level   1

I'm sure everyone has seen or read something about this by now, but i cant seem to find the exact answer i;m looking for, so instead i figured i'd just ask.  So bear with me and thank you all in advance...  

SO i have a seagate 250GB external hard drive i would like to transfer my data with from the one of the original 20GB xbox 360 hard drives to my new xbox360 S.  Now i've read about if its not on par with recommended configuration settings that it can play slow, errors, etc.  But my question is this:  If all i want to do is transfer the data (and nothing else) on to my external drive and then to my xbox360 S, does or could that affect anything at all in terms of saves and errors or anything else for that matter?

So basically, if i do save it all on to this seagate external and then load it on to the new slim xbox, will i have any of the potential issues other people have or will i be in the clear sense i am simply using it to transfer from one to another?

Verified Answer
  • I suggest using the steps in this guide exactly. Doing otherwise, or using non-official products may not produce the desired results.

All Replies
  • I suggest using the steps in this guide exactly. Doing otherwise, or using non-official products may not produce the desired results.

• Level   1

ok, what options do i have if i have multiple 20gb Xbox harddrives and i am trying to extract them to a singular (larger) drive? secondly, i have a 1tb drive that i would like to use as a usb external drive, and although the cap is 16gb, could i make a partion for that 16gb, but periodically move the data from the primary 16gb partition to a secondary partion via the PC?

• Level   1
    • Suggested Answer

Darth Pastor

ok, what options do i have if i have multiple 20gb Xbox harddrives and i am trying to extract them to a singular (larger) drive?

You can connect the drives to your console via the transfer cable. Cancel the transfer screen should it popup and go to System Settings/Memory. You should see the 20GB drive listed there and you can now move things across manually.

You can format an external hard drive but as noted you'll only be able to use 16gb of it. You could move your stuff piece by piece using it though.

Darth Pastor
    secondly, i have a 1tb drive that i would like to use as a usb external drive, and although the cap is 16gb, could i make a partion for that 16gb, but periodically move the data from the primary 16gb partition to a secondary partion via the PC?

Nothing we can say about that on here I'm afraid. Microsoft consider any use of the PC to be System Tampering.

Mass Effect 3 - MEHEM and Extended Anderson Conversation: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmofIH7rN9U.