This question has suggested answer(s)

250gb Xbox 360 slim Hard Drive Unformatted

• Level   1

A couple weeks ago, my hard drive appeared to have wiped itself, the console reading it as "Unformatted". Without the hard drive in it, the console starts up fine. When the hard drive is in it, the console starts up very slowly and there's a delay when clicking "Storage" in the system settings, like it's straining itself to read the data. Before trying to format, I took out the hard drive, blew on the contacts etc, to make sure there was no dust or anything interfering with the connection. When that didn't work, I escalated to the formatting stage. It starts off with the bar halfway full, after a few seconds, the progress bar fills completely and then stops for a few seconds. It then goes back to the storage device selection screen with the hard drive still reading "Unformatted". I then sent it into get repaired, explaining the problem. I just got the console back and it's still having the same issues. Unless there's another factor besides the hard drive/console connectors that didn't replicate itself when they tested it, it seems like it was a lazy support/repair job. Am I going to have to send it in again? I was hoping to get it fixed by the RE6 release, but that doesn't look like it's going to happen. Also, if I do have to send it in again, how can I elaborate more as to what the problem is, because I'm not sure they understood what the problem was. I got back the same console, but I can't vouch it's the same hard drive. I'm guessing it is, unless the console is actually the problem and it reads all hard drives as "Unformatted". I received a print-out in the returned package about an early return thing for accessories/discs, but I didn't send anything unnecessary in. They also sent me a 1 month subscription card for "inconvenience", but there was no elaboration as in regards to what. Unless that's something new they do for repairs, I don't see why they would have. I thought it was just a normal repair. Technology's faulty sometimes, I mean, that's what they're there for right? I'm not exactly sure why I would've received it. I mean, sure, free XBL, but it seems odd because I didn't receive anything with my older Xbox 360 pro I sent in for the RRoD a few years ago that got repaired and worked fine. The console wasn't repaired and they're sending me an XBL subscription I can't use. Hm..  =/

All Replies
    • Level   7
    • Suggested Answer

Hi,

From what you've described, this doesn't seem to be an issue with the console but it seems to be an issue with the hard drive (which is why it's continuously becoming unformatted and the console works fine without the hard drive in). What you'd need to do is get the hard drive repaired. Now, this is only going to be possible if the hard drive came inside the console when you purchased it. You can get that done by simply visiting the repair site here.

If the hard drive was purchased separately from the console then the hard drive only has a 90 day warranty (as all Microsoft accessories have as far as my knowledge on this goes), if it's within that 90 days you can get it repaired for free. If it's been longer than 90 days you'd need to get a new hard drive.

For the time being you can use a USB Flash Drive while your sending your hard drive in to get repaired. If you'd like peace of mind, you can also try to go to a gaming store and ask them if they would help you test something out by using one of their floor model consoles or refurbished model consoles (they should have internal hard drives laying around for the XBOX 360 S) and you can test this out yourself before sending it in or setting up another repair. 

• Level   1

That's what I originally thought as well, so I sent in the hard drive too, but it didn't seem to get fixed. I bought the 250gb Xbox, just in case, as to get a better warranty option for it. I'll look into testing it before I send it in again. Thanks for the idea. I honestly hadn't thought about it because I don't know many people/places that I could go to. The reason I mentioned a possible problem with the console connectors is because I thought there might be a possibilty I got a refurbished hard drive back (a different one. I read somewhere that if they couldn't fix it, they'd send a refurbished replacement.) and it was the console's connectors that were faulty, causing all HDDs to be read as "Unformatted". Thanks for the help.

• Level   7

No problem, keep us updated on the different things you try as all of these words get filtered in Google searches so you might actually help someone else out by keeping this updated as to how it went for you when you tried a different hard drive or another storage device.

• Level   1

I downloaded my profile to a flash drive and popped in MW3. Downloaded the free maps and so far it's working. I'm still not ruling out the possibilty of the error on the console's part due to the HDD connectors, but it does look like in my case that the hard drive is probably the issue. I'll be looking for another hard drive to use to test this and will post results eventually. I'm still not sure why it wasn't fixed when I sent it in the first time and they sent it back with a 1mo, but oh well. I'm glad I got the extended warranties on this. =/

• Level   S

Let us know those results when you can Fated Beginning! :)

• Level   1

Well this has now happened to me, The console was on, and suddenly My achievements and gamerscore on the Console (TV) dissappeared. I rebooted like I do whenever my console has issues (freezing etc) only to have it tell me my HD is unformatted. Maybe its just me but the answer of "buy a new one" is not a resolution because I already have backup HDs. I certainly do not have 4 years of game saves backed up, nor the time to put in to get them all back.

Guess what I am getting at is, there must be some way of ripping the existing game saves from the unformatted drive.

I have read around apparently people not in your support team have found a way, why can't MS support find a way?

When I spend countless moneys, time, and effort into games and supporting Xbox 360, I would expect better resolutions and efforts. I know Joe blow down the street has a shop built on making these repairs.....but apparently it is against terms of service to mess or alter anything? Game saves are a huge part of gaming........I feel the support team should take this issue really serious.

• Level   S

Hey there, Kill The Noise. Very sorry to hear about your situation. We'd like to work with you so we can determine the best troubleshooting steps to offer you going forward. To start can you please create a new thread for us and include a full description of what you are encountering including any error messages you see and the troubleshooting steps you've tried so far? Thanks in advance!

How to use the forums
    Retired Support Agent - No PMs please!

• Level   1

Turns out it was the hard drive, so I'm back up and limping at a snail's pace. Four years of DLC redownloaded, but god forbid there's no automatic backup for gamesaves, and now my Xbox is freezing every time I load up AC3 mulitplayer.

Resolved, I guess.

• Level   1

This happened to my xbox, but I have a backup hard drive. I would like to know if there is any way I can transfer my content to the backup hardrive

• Level   S

Hey German Xx JewzZ! We'd be happy to help you out with your issue if you could create your own thread detailing what your'e experiencing and any steps you've tried! Thanks. :)

• Level   1

I'm having the same issue as kill the noise. I have years of gameplay and hours put into my saves that I do not have the time to replay. Is there anyway to retrieve the saves off an unformatted hard drive. I bought a new 360 and a transfer cable but it is still not reading anything and my Xbox is very slow. Please help!!

• Level   S

Hi Mr Squirrel.  I'm afraid that if that transfer cable is not able to recover the data, there is not going to be a way to recover it.  Did you have anything backed up in the Cloud at all?

• Level   1

Hi the same thing happened to my xbox. I was playing NBA 2k13 and my xbox froze. I rebooted my xbox and not it says i have to update my xbox and when it tries to it ways that i have no hard drive. When i go to the hard drive screen it says that my hard drive is unformated. what do i do now???

• Level   S

Hiya Swag! If you have tried the above steps to no avail, please create a new thread. Thanks!