This question is answered

Xbox is taking a long time to start up?

• Level   1
My boyfriend's xbox 360 has been taking a long time to start up lately. I've timed it and it's taking up to ten minutes just for it to get me to the dashboard after signing in. It will turn on and show the xbox logo, but then after that it takes about five minutes to bring up our profiles and then another five minutes just to get to the dashboard. It's also been having problems connecting to xbox live from time to time. Any ideas what may be causing this?
Verified Answer
    • Level   S
    • Verified Answer
    • Verified by

Hey guys! Have you tried all the troubleshooting steps listed above? If you have and your still having long load times, please go ahead and make a fresh thread detailing any troubleshooting steps you have tried, and we will get right on it. Cheers! :D

All Replies
    • Level   3
    • Suggested Answer

Theres possible corruption on your memory device. Go to settings, storage and highlight your device and press "Y". This will clear your cache. If problem persists, go back to settings, memory device and go into every file to ensure there is no files with a yellow circle with black "!" in the middle. If there is, delete these files and redownload if needbe. This should clear up your issue.

• Level   1

Thats a long time. Have you tried clearing the system cache? That and possibly disconnecting from your network connection and reconnecting.  

You can follow this link to clear the cache support.xbox.com/.../clear-system-cache

Hope this helps!

• Level   5
    • Suggested Answer

Hi,

There are a few things you could try, the first one I would suggest is to reset your console network settings to the defaults as described in the article below.

-

support.microsoft.com/.../978976

-

Something else to try is clearing the system cache.

-

support.xbox.com/.../clear-system-cache

-

If you still experience the issue having tried the above then please post back.

• Level   1

I went through the system cache and deleted the stuff I found that was showing up with yellow exclamations points and I tried disconnecting from the network and reconnecting, but it's still persistant on taking a long time to start. :/

• Level   5

Did you try resetting the network settings on the console?

-

you could also try deleting and downloading the profile on the console.

-

http://support.xbox.com/en-GB/xbox-360/settings-and-initial-setup/profile-move-delete-

-

Please be aware that when you delete the profile to choose delete profile only, do not select delete profile and items.

• Level   1

I tried both of those things. It still seems to be sluggish.

• Level   1

Subbed

• Level   3
    • Suggested Answer

Are you able to use a USB drive in lieu of the hdd? Perhaps the hard drive is just going faulty. I had one hdd do the same sluggish stuff before and everytime I could make it to storage under settings and begin deleting the corruption it would either freeze in mid deletion or the corruption would return the next time I would boot the console. It kept happening until the hdd caused a general hardware failure known as E68, which relates to a bad hdd. Try a different hard drive or a USB thumbdrive and recover your gamertag to the new device. Then boot the console into Xbox live and see if that solves the issue. This will determine if it's the console, hdd or network.

• Level   1

I've had issues like these, what I've tried doing is deleting things on my hard drive that I don't need. Eventually, it starts to take a while to start up and I know it's time to clear some hard drive stuff, although 10 minutes is a very long time. Usually for me it seems like my xbox takes 30+ seconds to get to the dashboard, and that's longer than usual.

• Level   S

Hey there Sputnik!  Honestly, it sounds like there may be something up with the Hard Drive.  We can totally take a look at it for you, if you like.  Please try starting up the system without the hard drive in to see if it boots up faster.  Then post a new thread letting us know how that went and we'll take it from there!

• Level   1

I've been having the same problem with my 4 gb 360. It takes 15 minutes to get to the dashboard and another 5 to read a game, even if the game is on the HDD. It also will no longer go on Xbox Live but goes on the internet just fine. I have done all of the above too with no changes. By the way this is my 3rd console,  the 2nd slim.

• Level   1

I have been having the same issue since the update.  But it only happens when the choose profile screen pops up.  If the main profile is chosen automatically it doesn't have that issue at all.  If it takes me to the profile screen I select my main and then it starts the loading.  I just turn it off and then turn it on again after a sec and then it works just fine.

• Level   S
    • Verified Answer
    • Verified by

Hey guys! Have you tried all the troubleshooting steps listed above? If you have and your still having long load times, please go ahead and make a fresh thread detailing any troubleshooting steps you have tried, and we will get right on it. Cheers! :D

• Level   1

Do you have kinect...uh connected? I had same problem, unplugged kinect and it boots normally.

• Level   1

I will try the kinect stuff and tell you, and people from xbox support stop asking for new threads for everything, its frustrating to find a topic you need help too and find nobody finish it becouse you ask for a new thread