This question is not answered

E66 Error after latest update - Only when I download it, otherwise Xbox works fine

• Level   1

Hello all,

Today I started up my Xbox 360 (It's an older model) and it asked me to download the latest system update to remain signed into LIVE. I started the download, but when it got to the very end it suddenly caused my 360 to display the E66 error message. I then turned the console off and then back on again, at which point the console worked fine until I decided to try re-downloading the System update.

I remember reading in a magazine that this is caused by an update from Microsoft which removes the obsolute anti-piracy measures from disks, allowing them to store an additional GB of data. I also recall reading that Microsoft were offering to "Replace" these consoles with the new 250GB Elite model as any Xbox's displaying the error could not be fixed.

I was just wondering if anyone knew whether this was true, I've seen other people saying they have the same issue, so I'm sure it's not just my console.

Thanks in advance

All Replies
    • Level   1

Found the link for the "replacement" - www.joystiq.com/.../new-xbox-360-update-incompatible-with-some-models-ms-offering-r

• Level   X

If you're receiving Error E66 while trying to apply the update, you'll want to give phone support a ring at 800-4MY-XBOX.

Mister Fitzer - Xbox Community Engagement

• Level   1

Is there a UK number to call? can't get it sent away for repairs as the service doesn't seem to be available to UK customers

• Level   3

E66: DVD Drive Error - Dvd drive pairing failure: DVD model, or version does not match that of the version expected by the dashboard. OR the firmware version on the drive is older then the firmware version expected by the dashboard. Make sure the DVD drive is of the same version originally included with the console and that it is using either the original firmware included with the console or newer. if drive can eject, read, and write under windows but errors on console, replacing original firmware should fix issue.

• Level   1

You either have a flashed drive, or it was a faulty update in which case you'd want to clear the data of the last update and try to reinstall it. If you have a flashed drive and send it back then my guess is that Microsoft is gonna tell you to buy a new one.