This question has suggested answer(s)

Skyrim (only) Disc Unreadable Error

• Level   4

So brand new Skyrim disc -  gets unreadable disc error on my Halo Reach 360S.. plays fine on the old Elite.  (other newer discs play fine on both like MW3)  Followed the troubleshooting on the website which suggested pulling hard drive - which I did... then popped in a flash drive to recover my GT and dl the update.  Skyrim now shows up just fine.  So shut it down... pop the hard drive back in - do the same for it basically -  L bumper, R bumper, X, L bumper, R bumper, X to delete system update, cleared system cache for good measure, then dl'd the system update again.  Recovered GT again.  Poof - the disc reads.  So I figure I'll install the game onto the HD to save further issues with the disc.  Game installs fine - go to play it after installing it however and I receive "unreadable disc" error again.

Now even retracing the steps doesn't get the disc read at all  - yet it still plays just fine in the Elite... and no other discs are a problem.  Any suggestions?  Any one else running into this issue?  I've seen some similar posts on different forums but most are stating that its an older console having the issue....

All Replies
    • Level   1

This was all post December 2011 XBox live update too, Skyrim, was buggy but it worked fine even installed before the Xbox live update. The December 2011 update and Skyrim do not mix on my Xbox for some reason.

• Level   1

This was all post December 2011 XBox live update too, Skyrim, was buggy but it worked fine even installed before the Xbox live update. The December 2011 update and Skyrim do not mix on my Xbox for some reason.

• Level   1

I had same issue right now.  I deleted ALL 3 auto saves on the HD even though only two were said to be corrupted and that solved my issue, now it works, but obviously I have to do a mission or two again.

This should not happen, but its the three corrupted auto saves.  Delete them all.  It will work.  I even got a new disc from the store (exchange) but it didn't work until I deleted those dumb corrupted saves

• Level   1

Okay, so I´m  experiencing the same issues here. I bought brand new copy of skyrim, put it in my xbox 360 but instead of giving me the "Disc is unreadable" message righ away, the game started fine. My problem lies in-game, in the opening sequence where you are taken to helgen by the horse-carriage...the other three prisoners do not start any conversations...like they should,the carriage keeps going as it should but the npc´s just sit there looking very zombie-like. I can look around like I should,no problem. When we hit the destination in helgen...nothing happens, the npc´s still just sit there and i cannot but look around. Thought it was just a bug, restarted the game and this time the npc talked.. "Hey, you!" And then again silence where there should be a conversation. Okay...thought i´d install the game, and heres where the "disc is unreadable" error message pops up and of course the disc is as clear as a mirror, no scratches,no dirt. No matter how many times i tried installing or start a new game the same problems occured. Thought it was a broken copy of the game...so i borrowed my friends copy to see if the problem is in my copy or my xbox...same problems occurred. I have no idea what the F is going on as every other game that I own works perfectly. I tried clearing the cache, didnt work. There is no safe files to delete as I never get past the carriage ride to helgen. I took out my HD and started the game, still the silent carriage ride occurs. Ungh...Im losing hopre here.

• Level   1
    • Suggested Answer

Deleting the last auto save  and some times even your own save works for me for a while, then it starts again a day or two later. I end up repeating loss missions. It is a real headache.

• Level   1

i have the same problem pisses me off. ive played the game for about 20 hours never took it out of my xbox until i got the same error and noting i do seems to work. btw im using and xbox 360 elite

• Level   1

Hey guys, as it looks like the last few posts have detailed some pretty different issues, I suggest creating your own thread for official support specific to you and what you're experiencing. :-)

• Level   1

I have a band new skyrim and it doesn't read or recognize my disk on my 20gb 360 pro but every other disk works fine. So I called xbox support and they told me my xbox was broken and I need to send it in for repair and pay $100 or buy a new xbox. I tried replacing the disk and checke both on other Xbox and they both worked so it's not the disks or my xbox then what's the problem? My question how is my xbox broken in one game doesn't work? And why should I pay to fix something xbox messed up with the update? It's sad because after 5 years of being a member I thought I would get a little better treatment from a company that gets hundreds of dollars from me every year. Please give me an answer I just want to start playing skyrim its unfair that my friends get to play and I don't..

• Level   1

Hey b1gmat111, if only one game is having issues playing on the console, that usually indicates the beginning of disc drive failure (which is why support recommended the repair). I know that sending your console out isn't fun, but if you do go for the repair and choose expedited shipping, you can have your console back in about a week's time. Also, just to be sure, have you tried installing the game to the HDD, or given all of these steps a go?

• Level   1

Loads of people said that deleting the auto saves fixes the problem. Well I got a brand new usb (I didn't buy it i just reformatted it) and made it a Xbox360 memory stick. Then found a save from about a week ago and copied just that ONE save to the memory stick. AND IT WORKED! So as painful as this sounds I proceeded to add the saves one by one, getting more recent, until I got the error message. Then I sadly had to delete anything I had done from the point til now... BUT! Skyrim works!

• Level   1

Patters is 100% right fellas. Find corrupted file. Delete. Play.

• Level   1

Same issue but on the 360 elite. I went to exchange the disc and Gamestop gave me a new one. Same isssue with the new disc as well. It loads up to the title screen and when I choose to load my game, it gives me the unreadable message. Helps

• Level   1

so i got the disc unreadable error after being able to play for a while (got it on christmas, it stopped working yesterday, the 18th of february). But, i did turn it off in a rush , i was in the middle of creating a character so i wouldve only had the starting autosave.

P.S. I only have the arcade console BUT i use two 4gb usb's

• Level   1

have the same problem as the initial person and pazbartum.  It has nothing to do with autosaves in our cases if we cannot get into the game even. any other ideas out there? i talked with a guy today who said my xbox slim isn't broken and it is the disc formatting possibly

• Level   S

Hey guys! This form is getting a little full. If you guys are having issues playing your games, please create a new thread in this forum detailing your issue. We are more than happy to assist you there. Thanks for your understanding!