This question is answered

How do I install the "Play" disk to USB Flash drive

• Level   1

I've installed the installation disk to my Xbox 360 HDD and running the game from the disk.  It's very noisy and apparently the performance is much better if you install the "Play" disk to a USB Flash Drive.  
I've just bought a compatible 8GB USB Flash drive and followed the instructions through www.xbox.com/storage.  The Xbox 360 says it's compatible with no issues.

Where do I get the option to install the "Play" disk to the USB Flash Drive?

I've tried deleting everything off the HDD and installing again from scratch with no luck.  Has anybody already done this and had any luck with it that they could share? 

Verified Answer
    • Level   5
    • Verified Answer
    • Verified by

8 gb will not be big enough.Once you format the usb drive to use on your console you will only have about 7 gb left & the game disc requires at least 8gb to install.

• Level   5
    • Verified Answer
    • Verified by

Hairy PigDog
    Where do I get the option to install the "Play" disk to the USB Flash Drive?

When you have the play disc inserted, instead of pressing "A" to start the game, press X or Y (I don't remember exactly, as they changed that sometime back in a dashboard update. Choose the button that does NOT eject the disc).

If you pushed the right button, you will get a menu, where you have the option to install the disc.

BEWARE: Do NOT install the play disc on the same drive as the install disc was installed! For example: normally start the install disc, and have the GTA Installer install the game on the harddrive. Then insert the play disc as instructed and leave the game.

Then on the dashboard use the dashboard install feature, and choose your USB Stick. And 8GB MIGHT be enough, as I installed it on my 16GB stick with only 7.7GB free. But if it doesn't you will need to get a bigger stick. When shopping for USB drives, make sure the stick is a FAST stick with at least 20MB/sec transfer speed. And remember that the console can only support USB drives of up to 32GB size.

All Replies
    • Level   1

I should have mentioned that this is for GTA V.

Thanks ArminatorX.  I've actually got a 16GB USB, not 8GB.. not sure why I wrote that.

The install disk is installed onto the Xbox HDD.

Now I've successfully installed the game disk onto the USB flash drive however now the game still seems to be running off the disk all the time.  It keeps spinning and making noise with no obvious improvement to game quality.

Is this normal?  Or do I somehow need to tell the Xbox to run off the installed version on the USB flash drive?

• Level   3
    • Suggested Answer

Just so you know, Rockstar recommends playing the game off of the Play disc and not installing it.  You obviously have to install the install disc but don't install the other disc other than the little bit it automatically installs.  The game runs much better off of the disc.  You can read about this on IGN and elsewhere.  Have fun!

• Level   5
    • Suggested Answer

HomegrownSilky
    Rockstar recommends playing the game off of the Play disc and not installing it.

Well, this is true for installing both discs to the hard drive, as this will force the drive head to jump back and forth between the install and the play disc image.

I have GTA V installed on my hard drive and the game disc installed on my SanDisk USB. Resulting in a whisper quiet console, and slightly faster load times.

• Level   3
    • Suggested Answer

@ ArminatorX - From the Rockstar website

"For optimal performance, we recommend only installing the Install Disc, and not also installing the Play Disc to the Xbox 360 Hard Drive or USB drive via Xbox Home (dashboard)."  

support.rockstargames.com/.../200188398-Grand-Theft-Auto-V-Xbox-360-Installation-Requirements

They don't recommend installing the play disc.

• Level   3
    • Suggested Answer

Hi to install the play disc to a USB flash drive which can be done as follows:

support.xbox.com/.../usb-flash-drive

Hope this helps!!!

II M0Z II - [AWOL]

Xbox Community Member: Level 7, Xbox Community Ambassador: Level 10

Xbox Enforcement United: Level 12

• Level   1
    • Suggested Answer

support.xbox.com/.../usb-flash-drive

• Level   1

I cant seem to find a flash drive with 15mbs read speed

• Level   5

Any of those will be fine, I can vouch for the PNY Attache as I used one to install the play disc to and the game appears to run a lot smoother.

• Level   1

I've installed the Install disk to Xbox HDD and the play disk to a 16GB USB Flash Drive.  When playing the game the disk keeps spinning and is quite noisy and there doesn't really appear to be an improvement in game play at all.  

@ArminatorX - "I have GTA V installed on my hard drive and the game disc installed on my SanDisk USB. Resulting in a whisper quiet console, and slightly faster load times."

The play disk is definitely installed to the USB Flash Drive, I've triple checked.  With this being the case, would the xbox still read the disk from the drive constantly?  Am I doing something wrong here?

• Level   2

There has been some PR around performance issues reported if a user also installs the “Play” disc on their HDD.

www.vg247.com/.../gta-5-install-issues-xbox-360-workaround-ps3-digital-fix-more

Given this, Rockstar has recommended that users not install the “Play” disc and have added this message to their site:

www.rockstargames.com/v/storage

Example Scenarios:

I know Grand Theft Auto V has an 8 GB mandatory install. If I want to install the Play Disc too, through Xbox Home (dashboard), is that possible?

For optimal performance, we recommend only installing the Install Disc, and not also installing the Play Disc to the Xbox 360 Hard Drive or USB drive via Xbox Home (dashboard).  You will be prompted to install the Install Disc the first time you boot the game.