This question is not answered

Open Tray - Unrecognized Disc - Status Error Code 03 80 00

• Level   2

Hey whats up? Im a loyal Microsoft Xbox use and Im trying to figure this Status Code out. What does "Status Code 03 80 00" mean to the techies? I called 1 800 4 MY XBOX last night, talked to guy named "Rudy" which was obviously not his name. lol Back to topic at hand. My box has been having this issue for a month or so now. It seems as if it is getting worse.

I put a game or DVD in the drive, nothing. "Open Tray" or "Unrecognized Disc"; so I proceed to Open and Close the tray until it finally reads. Sometime it may take 3 tries sometimes it seems like im sitting there 15 minutes trying to get it to read.

I talked with "Rudy", we proceeded to clean the cache, turn off the system, unplug everything, plug everything back in, put a game in and viola the game reads first shot.

Im thinking "Awesome!" Then this morning the dreaded "Open Tray" msg reappears with a vengeance! I turned down Rudy's offer on a follow up call. To be honest, I'm a father and husband supporting my family on a single income. "Rudy" told me there is a repair process, ship it out, flat rate fix,.. yada yada... somewhere around 120ish dollars. If my xbox is out of warranty tell me whats wrong with it. I will then decide whether or not I have the know how to fix the device myself.

Thanks for the read, I look forward to hearing something back,... if xbox wishes to contact me thats cool too. Either call me (im sure you got my number,.. somewhere, somehow) or PM me via Xbox Live. I can still play arcade games without a hitch.

2Old2PlayHalo Member 2Old2Play 25+ Years Old Only
All Replies
    • Level   1

I am haviing this error code happen on  a number of games too. Lego, both Mass Effects, Madden, what is going on???

• Level   2

hey man,..

after i realized that my warranty was no good and my other only option was to pay M$ to repair I decided to try to fix it myself... voiding my non-existant warranty.

[mod removed]

2Old2PlayHalo Member 2Old2Play 25+ Years Old Only
    • Level   M

Just an FYI since you have already opened it ( I understand father to father).  Dont ever send that xbox in for repair they will not work on it ( you already said this) since you void the warrenty.  Happy gaming and glad you are up and running again!

This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights. @PhDPeddler

• Level   1

I didnt have this problem until the massive update. Now i cant play MW3 or Battlefield 3 yet my daughter can play NFS Carbon and Burnout Paradise without a hitch. I dont expect any real Technical support will offer any helpful suggestions without a hefty price tag. One of my friends suggests its a conspiracy for those of us that havent dropped $400 on a new Xbox 360 Slim to have to go buy one now that ours appear not to work. At least with PS3, online gaming is free and i can watch bluray for less than $250. Microsoft hasnt completely locked down the market just yet

• Level   1

As for returning the disc (the solution that seems to fit my case), Forza 4 just isn't on the list of possibilities. Seems that Microsoft are only in it for the money, hard as that is to believe!

• Level   1

Its not just the old xbox 360's my slim does it too after that update.  For me its mostly older games. I also went through the tech clearing the cache and all that.  Hopefully MS with fix the mess up.  

• Level   1

Do you think it could be the New 360s are having problems with the old games and vise versa for the old ones.

I read something about that when I was trying to fix my own just a little bit ago.

• Level   7

The issue here I believe is that the new games that are coming out are using a new disc layer technology that some older XBOX 360's might not be able to read. This was apart of an older XBOX 360 firmware update (which they had a press release about replacing users XBOX 360's if they were apart of this set group) I know that a friend of mine was apart of this group and did receive a new XBOX 360 but he was contacted directly by Microsoft. Article is here: www.1up.com/.../xbox-36-new-disc-format-increases-storage, don't know if it's related, just a hunch.

• Level   1

Hah see I pretty much what I just read

• Level   X

Hey guys, I'm sorry to hear about the disc read issues, and it appears that we're experiencing a few varieties of it here in this thread. For disc read issues, please try the steps listed here in this official guide. If those don't resolve the issue, then I'm afraid the console will need to be submitted for an official repair. As for the article posted in this thread, it appears to be detailing the update that went out in the first half of 2011, which is unrelated to the events described here.

Mister Fitzer - Xbox Community Engagement

• Level   1

Now that sounds like the Corporate response we were all expecting. "Sorry our product is failing you, but if you pay us your life savings we will hide the real simple solution from you and give a complicated list of reasons why you can't fix it yourself."

• Level   1

Yeah i was having this problem for a few tries but then i just shut off my xbox and kept putting the disc in and it only took like 3 minutes to work.  Try shutting off your xbox with the disc inside when it says unrecognized. It might help!

• Level   1

I've been playing 360 for something like six years, ive owned my 360 for something like 4 years, and ive been told by everybody that ive talked to, that it is AMAZING that my 360 has lasted that long, but now im haveing the same issue as the OP. and its kind of makeing me wonder. With all the problems that 360's have, is microsoft designing their systems to breakdown after a certain time, i mean, it sounds like something they would do, just look at what they do with their OS discs.

• Level   7

Not true, I have owned 4 XBOX 360's and 2 of them being original XBOX 360's that have lasted me 6 years without any issues. I decided myself that it was time to upgrade both and I have had 2 slims for the past 2 years now with no issues what so ever. So, no they aren't deliberately making their consoles break down. Please don't spread rumors.

• Level   1

This is going to sound really stupid but its either you have a scratch on your disc in the wrong spot or your xbox 360 laser is all dusty ect I had a xbox 360 pro for 3 years but just a couple days ago it started to not read any of my discs they only ones it would read would be the ones I have installed and then it would freeze so yeahhh thats all I can say.