This question is not answered

Mw3&Mw2 Unrecognized Disc/Open Tray

• Level   2

Recently my Xbox 360 (Black Elite 120Gb Harddrive Edition) has been giving me the issue of an Open Tray error, or an Unrecognized Disc response for only my games of Modern Warfare 2, and Modern Warfare 3.  The games wont load, giving me open tray, or when they do load they say Unrecognized Disc error.  I was wondering if anyone has a solution. I'm quite sure its something in my Xbox or my "Laser Lens" thats causing the problem due to them being Activision/Newer Games.  Other recent games run without issue, and i've played the MW2 & MW3 Discs for months before without issue.

Basic Overview:

Games that don't work: Modern Warfare 2, Modern Warfare 3

Games that work perfectly: NHL 12, Halo Reach, GTA IV

Things Ive Tried: Closing the disc tray fast (To Reset the Laser), Unplugging everything in my Xbox, Cleaning both discs, Clearing my Cache, Downloading the games to my Xbox Harddrive, Removing my harddrive,  Knocking on the top of my Xbox to have it read the discs, & more. 

This came out of nowhere around 3 days ago, both MW2 and MW3 have been played for more than 2 Days of working gameplay, and Its the First time it had happened to me.

Message me or Comment if you think you can Help - Detainment.

All Replies
    • Level   7

you will need to send your xbox in for a repair

• Level   2

Thats the only solution?

• Level   2

I've had this problem a few times as well with my Xbox. It would play most games perfectly, others okay, and some it would just not work for. It may be the games themselves, maybe they have deep scratches? I could suggest blowing inside of the disk tray to try to get any dust out of there, if any. If that does not work, it could just be the disc reader itself, you may want to send it in to Microsoft, if your under warranty, to see if they can fix it. Another tip of advice, I would recommend not hitting the console while a disc is playing or reading, as that can cause future problems as well.

• Level   2

Thanks, Yeah the discs dont have any scratches because i was just playing them and they work on other xbox's.  Thanks for the help though.

• Level   7

if your not under warranty its cheaper to buy a new console

• Level   3

You can try a lens cleaning disk just to rule out dirt on the lens, sounds strange that it will play other games but it may be a fault with the disk reader or the disk drive. Xbox 360 and 360s consoles manufactured with different brands of disk drives depending on what is in stock when they are put together so it could be your disk drive or the reader is having problems picking up the software for these games. Some brands work OK and others have this problem with some disks so you may have to get it repaired. It is an expensive task if your console is not under warranty so ask for a price on repair first if you can afford it maybe better to buy a new console.

• Level   2

Yeah I might try a lens cleaning disc. I just think to rule out bad software because the games have worked before for over a month in the same xbox / disc reader without problems and it came out of nowhere for both of them.

• Level   2

Does anyone else know whether or not a Lens Cleaning Disc would work for my issue. Just to see if it would be a waste for me to spend the $15 for it if it wouldn't help me.

• Level   1

This has just recently happend to me. None of my games will play anymore. When I put in a DVD it works perfectly fine so it can't be the lens or it would have done the same thing. The only thing I notice it that after I play a DVD the game will start up but will soon say "unrecognizable disc". Is there any way microsft can check my console through xbox live to make sure my xbox 360 S was affected by the update?

• Level   2

Yeah my games still all play perfectly except for MW2 & 3.  I registered my Xbox with the serial numbers and it said my warranty has ran out so i'm guessing its useless to send it to Microsoft.  I was wondering if one of the disc lens cleaners would work for my situation...

• Level   3

I know i said try a lens cleaning disk to rule out dust but it sounds like it is those games specifically so it is  probably not dust if your other games work fine. Do you have Black Ops or Battlefield 3 if so do they work? and how old is your console. @Mildwest did this happen just now or straight after the dashboard update? as far as i know the dashboard update only seems to effect older 360 consoles and yours being the newer model it should be OK, but if not then it sounds like the disk reader in your console is faulty and can't read the information off the game disk to start it playing. Have you tried removing your hard drive and starting a game without it that will rule out a faulty hard drive.You can try other trouble shooting tips from support on xbox.com but if that does not work you will have to look at getting it repaired. Is your 360s still under warranty?

• Level   2

I tried all the support tips from Xbox, I don't have black ops or bf3 but i just know Mw2 and Mw3 won't recognized & its not the discs fault.  I have the Xbox 360 Elite 120 GB HDD Console I bought in Jan. 2009 I'm pretty sure.

• Level   3

OK then it sound like it is  having trouble reading the format of those games do you have the original modern warfare if so try it and see if it will play. Have you tried contacting Infinity Award about this issue if not you should email or ring them and explain that it is only their games that won't work. They may have a solution to try or they may just pass the buck onto xbox support. Customer support will probably tell you it will have to be repaired, but i do know that the last dashboard update had software that changed the way your console reads disks in regards to security and to create more storage. Now some older consoles were affected by this as the older disk readers were not compatible. But if your console is only 2 or 3 years old it should be OK. Other reason could be that when 360 console are made they use different disk drives and readers in them depending on what is in stock at the factory. And that is why also some people have trouble reading newer game formats and other do not depending on what is inside their console. I have a 4 year old pro console that still works fine on any game and yet my 1 year old 360s has trouble some times reading games. Solution maybe send it in for repair if you can afford it and hope they fix the problem or contact Infinity Award and tell them the problem and see if they know of a fix.  I would try the latter first and if you do get it repaired and still have the problem ask for a new xbox as the repair will be under warranty and if it still happens then that means that  they can't or did not fix your xbox. But keep your cool with them and you will get better service

• Level   2

Wow, So i bought the CleanDr Laser Lens Cleaner Disc and ran it a couple times in my xbox and Mw3 became recognizable and has been playing fine all day. I think the problem was a foggy lens which couldn't read fast spinning games such as Mw3 & 2. The cleaning disc helped it defog and read. Thanks for all the help.

• Level   2

It was only $15 at Gamestop and I'd suggest it to anyone with the similar problem I have. It takes a couple of cleanings to do the job however.