This question is answered

Issues playing your downloaded games/add-ons

• Level   S

Well we can't let this stand, now can we? Who's going to defend the front line, destroy that alien horde, or save the princess. Wait, that's a little older...

Before we get started, here is a quick set of steps that you should alwasy try when having issues with downloadable content not working properly. They only take a couple minutes and are very simple to follow:

1. Delete the game: Settings > System > Storage > [select storage device] > Games and Apps > [select title] > [select content] > Delete
    1. NOTE: If you don't find the game or add-on here, try looking in the "Games" level for a file called "Unknown Game". Delete this instead.

2. Clear system cache: Settings > System > Storage > Highlight HDD, press "Y"  > Clear Cache > Yes

3. Restart the console

4. Re-download from purchase history: Settings > Account > Download History > [select content] > Download Again

My game/add-on is missing
To play a game that you downloaded, you can select "Play now" from the marketplace menu, or access it from your Game Library, which can be found on the My Xbox channel on your main dashboard. If you don't see it here, it may have been accidentally deleted. To verify if the game is still on your console, follow step 1 above.

If the game or add-on you are looking for just isn't there, you will simply need to re-download it (step 4 above).

If the game is there but not showing in your My Games folder, or it has a yellow "!"  icon next to it, then you will need to delete the content and re-download it. Follow all four steps listed above.

The game/add-on isn't in my purchase history
If you can't find the game in this list, it's possible you either didn't finish purchasing it or accidentally purchased the content to a different account. To check, sign in to any alternate profiles that you have on the console to see if you can find the game or add-on you are looking for in their purchase history.

Alternately, you can go to the game on the Marketplace. If the option to buy it is still there, this is a good indication that the purchase did not go through. To confirm you can visit https://billing.microsoft.com and check your recent points history. Again, if you don't see the purchase listed there, the content was not purchased.

If you DO see the purchase in your billing activity, but it isn't showing in your console purchase history, try re-downloading your profile. This might help your console "remember" all the purchases attributed to your account. To re-download an account, follow the below steps:

1. Log out of your profile: Guide > "X"  > Log out

2. Re-download profile: Guide > Download Profile

3. Follow the steps. You will need the Windows Live ID and password for the account.

Once this is done, try the first four suggested steps again. If the content in your purchase history has still not appeared, you will need to contact phone support to look at your account in-depth. 

I still can't play my game!
If you have tried all the above steps and have verified that you did indeed purchased the content in question, you can feel free to make a post in this forum. Please make sure to include the following information so we can provide you the best help possible:

Game or add-on you are having issues with:
Date you bought the content:
Purchased with points or credit card:
Specific issue you are having:
Any error code or message you are receiving:

Verified Answer
  • Verified!

Mister Fitzer - Xbox Community Engagement

All Replies