This question is answered

Modern Warfare 3 Disk Read Error / Disk Unreadable

• Level   1

Was excited to play MW3 after the midnight release, just to get home and it say unreadable, or not even recognize that I have a game in the console at all.  Went to the store the next day, replaced the disk with a brand new copy and the same thing happens.

Before I continue I want to get this across, DO NOT post telling me to do the disk reading trouble shooter, I'm not the average idiot on here that can't do some research before he posts something, I've tried everything.

Both copys would not work on my console, but work on my friends'.  Both copys were completely clean, scratch free, out of the box straight into the console.

From what I see this is a problem affecting a LOT of players (since theres already an unbelievable amount of forum posts about it on here and almost any other major Xbox forum).

So all I'm wondering is what the fix by Microsoft/Activision/IW will be and when will we get it?

Will it be soon or should I just grab a PS3?  Not paying for online service for a working game is sounding a lot better than paying for online service for a game that barely works right about now.  Especially when Microsoft is going to tell me to pay just as much as a new PS3 to "fix" my Xbox that plays every other game perfectly fine.

Verified Answer
  • Hey guys, jumping in this thread again to ensure that the support information is easy to find. If your disc is unable to read a single game, please exchange that game in for a new copy, to ensure you aren't using a defective disc. If multiple games do not play, or if multiple copies of the same game do not play, please follow the steps listed in this guide. If that guide doesn't resolve the issue, then your console will require an official repair.

Of course, if you have any additional questions (or if you have questions about these steps), please create your own thread with a full description of your question or the issue you're experiencing, and we'll be happy to take a look and offer a response. Thanks! :-)  

Mister Fitzer - Xbox Community Engagement

All Replies
    • Level   2

1. Make sure you remove any corrupted game,video, or downloaded content files by going into your hard drive and manually deleting anything with a yellow warning sign next to it. I had 3 corrupted files. Restart console before attempting to play disc.

2. Go into console settings/display. Make sure resolution is set to 720p (I was at 1080). After these modifications are made turn off the console before attempting to play the game.

3. Clear memory cache by going to memory and press Y. Again, restart console before attempting to play the game.

I hope this helps. It worked for me!

Xbox Community Ambassador

If my post solves your issue, please click YES under the post to mark it as VERIFIED.

• Level   1

I'm having the same exact problem but this time its my third disc that's been defected what the hell is going on with this new games being released? I know god dam well is not my xbox cuz i just bought it a few months ago and whenever i play bf3 i never get that dam error??????????? SOOOO CAN ANYONE EXPLAIN?????? IMO THEIR SHOULD BE A RECALL FOR MW3,,,, ALL DISCS ARE BEING DEFECTED AFTER 4 - 5 HOURS OF PLAY TIME???????? WTF

• Level   1

I'm having the exact same prolem. Every other game works fine. I paid 55 bills for this! Not good enough.

• Level   2

can all of you follow the steps for me:

1. Make sure you remove any corrupted game,video, or downloaded content files by going into your hard drive and manually deleting anything with a yellow warning sign next to it. I had 3 corrupted files. Restart console before attempting to play disc.

2. Go into console settings/display. Make sure resolution is set to 720p (I was at 1080). After these modifications are made turn off the console before attempting to play the game.

3. Clear memory cache by going to memory and press Y. Again, restart console before attempting to play the game.

If my post solves your issue, please click YES under the post to mark it as VERIFIED.

• Level   1

I tried all of those steps and it's still the same. If it's true that it only works in newer consoles, should we be penalised for having ours longer? I'm not sending it to Germany to be fixed. I'd rather go out and buy a console that actually works, like a Ps3.

• Level   1

Its not just you guys I have a 250Gb S and Ive had issues with the past three games I've bought being, Forza 4, BF3 and now MW3 all get the disc unreadable error after about 10 min of gameplay and all would not load to the HDD. Now I believe its an issue with the consoles and the new disc format as all 3 have been the newer format. The first MW3 disc that came with my Hardened was visibly flawed the second disc is clean though.

Both Forza 4 and BF3 work fine for me now so it is just a matter of time until I think MW3 will as well... Sigh too much hassle to keep spending good dough on these games especially getting the Limited editions of all of them.

• Level   1

Well... Hearing things like this has me sitting on the fence with my list of games I planned to get this holiday season. Smh.

• Level   2

I have submitted a ticket to  Activision Support Team i will get back to you soon on this

• Level   1

this happened to me to wth is the solution is it our xboxs or what

• Level   1

We had to take two discs back to gamestop, but the third one is working great. It was the discs that were bad in our case.

• Level   1

This is still occurring after returning 2 copies and getting a third from GameStop.  BF3 works fine and I was able to install COD MW3 to my HDD.  I had hoped the the third time was the charm.  Now maybe the the fourth one will work.

• Level   1

Are we going to get any help here at all?!

• Level   1

I am having the same exact problem. Called customer service and they just ran me through the steps that I can find online. After 45 minutes they were still clueless. All of my other games work fine on this Xbox 360 and I have tried multiple copies of mw3 on this Xbox with no avail. I heard it might be a problem with the new disc format and older less accurate lasers. SOMEONE HELP!!!!!!

• Level   1

ok so i had this problem too.. had to go back to gamestop 3 times.. my 3rd disc works fine.. this is what i think it is.  I think its something with the discs.  with my first 2 discs.. if i gently rubbed my finger on the bottom of the disc from the inside to the outer ridge.. i could feel a little edge or lip on the outer edge of the bottom of the disc. (none of my other games have that)  I realized this lip cause the error i was getting said to wipe the bottom of the disc with a cloth.. and i felt it.  went back to gamestop.. got my 2nd disc but noticed it had the same ridge.. got home and got the same error message.  went back again.. got a 3rd disc.. told the guy at gamestop about the lip on the edge of the disc.. he looked at me like i had two heads.. he gave me another copy.. said that one had the ridge too.. but to try it anyways.. when i walked out of the store i opened it up to feel if it had the lip on the edge of the disc like the previous two did.. and it didnt.. it was totally flush.  so he had no clue what i was talking about.. got home.. threw it in the xbox.. and bam.. works like a charm!  check to see if your copies have that little ridge or lip on the bottom outside edge of your disc.

• Level   1

NRG I said I already did the troubleshoot, which includes running without the hard drive, so no it is not corrupted files.  Don't see how video settings would affect disc reading in anyway?  but I changed that too.

So far still SOL.  Probably going to get my PS3 sometime before Christmas if things don't change.

WE NEED ANSWERS!