This question has suggested answer(s)

The game couldn't start. Try downloading the game again.

• Level   1

I have the xbox 360 slim, when I tried to play original xbox games on it I got the message needs a hard drive. I bought a 250Gb internal hard drive on amazon from Amazon, seems to work fine and can transfer data from the 4Gb internal memory to the hard drive and download games and demos fine. Also I have the current firmware on my system.

and I have tried clearing out the systems Cache

and re-formatted the hard drive

But I still cannot play my xbox original games. (Halo 1, Halo 2, Hulk Ultimate Destruction, Blood Rayne2, Stubbs the Zombie, and Ninja Gaiden) is there anything I'm missing?

All Replies
    • Level   1
    • Suggested Answer

I was going to start by suggesting you check if the game you were trying to play was on the compatible list: en.wikipedia.org/.../List_of_Xbox_games_compatible_with_Xbox_360

But I see you mention the Halo titles, which are on there, so it's not that.

Do you have the compatability software installed?

If I remember correctly the easiest way to get this is start the game whilst connected to Xbox Live and it should give you the option of downloading the Xbox compatability software.

• Level   X

Hey D0UG, have you had a chance to try and different HDD (such as a friend's) on your console? There are some counterfeit drives floating around online that look very much like official drives, and they can cause this kind of issue. By trying a friend's HDD, we can rule that out as a possibility.

Mister Fitzer - Xbox Community Engagement

• Level   1

It is a counterfeit drive. I was able to try another hard drive and it worked just fine. Is there anyway to get the right files on the hard drive I purchased on Amazon.com. so it can work correctly. Something I can just load on a USB storage and copy it over?

It was crap, the hard drive said new in box and it wasn't in a box when I received it. Thanks for the help.

• Level   1
    • Suggested Answer

That issue my freind from what i can gather is something you will have to take up with the seller or amazon?

• Level   X

Hey D0UG, sorry to hear about the drive. I'm afraid you cannot load those files onto a drive--the only solution here will be to purchase an official Microsoft HDD made for Xbox 360.

Mister Fitzer - Xbox Community Engagement

• Level   1

hey i downloaded grand theft auto san andreas off of xbox marketplace it downloaded fine but  it gave me the The game couldn't start. Try downloading the game again. error i called xbox suport they had me clear the cach had me delete the game 3 or 4 times had me delete recent update and had me re install the update had me re download the game using a network cord .  when i go to settings > system > storage it showes my 250 gb hard drive with microsoft next to it on the right.  i got the same error when i try to play the hard copy of the game that i have. i dont know what to do do i miss playing san andreas . i dont have verry many friends i do know a friend that her bro has a xbox 360 but she is too busy to come over to help me troublshoot my problem. i can only get 3 g internet . help me please :(

• Level   1

i bay halo and it gave me this The game couldn't start. Try downloading the game again. pz hp

• Level   S

Hey there, killingerk. Thanks for your question. As this thread is quite old can you please create a new thread for us? Be sure to include a full description of your situation as well as the error code you are seeing and any troubleshooting steps you've tried so far. Thanks very much!

How to use the forums
    Retired Support Agent - No PMs please!