This question is answered

XBOX ONE: Disc or Digital Download? - Do you need to keep Disc inside after installing to play?

• Level   2

Hi! I searched the forums for a whil but did not find an answer, yet.
I heard you can switch between games very fast on Xbox One but does this require you to change the game disc like on Xbox 360 or can installed games run without the disc? If you still need to swap discs I will prefer digital download versions (all games are downloadable, right?), if not, a boxed version would be ok. :) 

Für alle, die mehr wissen wollen: » http://www.Blizzard-Insider.de
Meine Launcher und Spiele!

Verified Answer
    • Level   X
    • Verified Answer
    • Verified by

G'day Bl4ckSh33p!

NOTORIOUS is correct. If you're playing with a disc-based game on Xbox One, then the disc will need to be in the tray to play. Check out Don Mattrick's official statement confirming this.

Let us know if you have any further questions. We'll be happy to help. =)

Do you have an idea to improve Xbox for everyone? Share it with us at Xbox Feedback!

How to Use the Forums

All Replies
    • Level   1

Hi there Bl4ckSh33p,

-

Yes the XBOX One will still require the disc in the disc tray in order to play installed games. As far as Games on Demand most games are made available through downloadable form, although there are some that are only available on discs.

• Level   5
    • Suggested Answer

Hi, you do not need to switch disc as all games are installed to the Xbox One's hard drive to play; you won't have to insert the disc to run the game after that initial process.

それは時代の最高だったが、それは時代の最悪だった

• Level   2

Thanks. I hope there will be more info available about which games are available for download at launch.

It seems Dead Rising 3 will not be available in Germany so there won't be a download version? You still can't download games from other markets with one Gamertag, right? So it would require a physical copy.

Can anyone confirm this with an official statement somewhere? It would be great to be able to play without the disc inside but some say it works, some say it does not. :-/

• Level   1
    • Suggested Answer

I have read nothing on the XBOX One playing installed games without the disc in the disc tray. Can you please link us to an Official Microsoft source Lord BaneJ?

-

Here's a quote from the XBOX One Get the Facts - "A single Xbox Live Gold membership works across both Xbox One and Xbox 360 – your membership covers both. And you can log into a friend’s Xbox One and access all your downloadable games, preferences, and apps."

-

Which means if you bought a digital copy of the game, not a actual disc you installed onto your console you could play on any XBOX One console with your Gamertag signed in. Not installed games.

-

Here's more information on the XBOX One BL4CKSH33P - XBOX One Get the Facts.

• Level   X
    • Verified Answer
    • Verified by

G'day Bl4ckSh33p!

NOTORIOUS is correct. If you're playing with a disc-based game on Xbox One, then the disc will need to be in the tray to play. Check out Don Mattrick's official statement confirming this.

Let us know if you have any further questions. We'll be happy to help. =)

Do you have an idea to improve Xbox for everyone? Share it with us at Xbox Feedback!

How to Use the Forums

• Level   2

Thank you very much. So I will prefer download versions, I never sold a game in the last 10 years because I only buy what I want to keep. :)

I think its better to be able to switch fast between one game or another and don't have to switch discs.

From the linked page from Misses Joust:

In addition to buying a disc from a retailer, you can also download games from Xbox Live on day of release. If you choose to download your games, you will be able to play them offline just like you do today. Xbox One games will be playable on any Xbox One console -- there will be no regional restrictions.

These changes will impact some of the scenarios we previously announced for Xbox One. The sharing of games will work as it does today, you will simply share the disc. Downloaded titles cannot be shared or resold. Also, similar to today, playing disc based games will require that the disc be in the tray.

• Level   X

You're very welcome! Browse around that Xbox Wire site some more if you'd like to read up more about Xbox One. It's chock full of cool info, videos, and previews on the new platform. =)

How to Use the Forums

• Level   1

Does the game have to be in the console to play it after it's installed??

• Level   1

BRING BACK CD RIPPING AND VIA USB. MUSIC AND YOUR OTHER FILES SHOULD BE ABLE TO BE TRANSFERRED TO THE XBOX ONE JUST LIKE THE 360. I THOUGHT IT WAS WAS A ALL IN ONE ENTERTAINMENT SYSTEM?????

• Level   1

Tell 2K to add the jordan challenge on next gen for NBA 2K14

• Level   5

Microsoft can't tell 2K to add features to their games.

You could post your suggestion on their official forum - www.2ksports.com/.../showthread.php

• Level   1

Get downloadable games only. It's worth it!

• Level   1

Well my big question is, if u buy via disc, does it install the full 25 - 50GB game (games like COD and AC) or does it just install the 1-5 GB it says when first put in, it it does just install the small amount like I thought, I think it's better to get disc rather than full up your 362GB capacity hard drive with 7 games

• Level   6
    • Suggested Answer

It installs the entire disc. The small file you are seeing is a game update

UK Xbox Deals

The gamer formerly known as 24.