This question has suggested answer(s)

"Can't launch <game_name>"

• Level   1

Hi.

Yesterday I started to notice that when I try to launch arcade games from my library I recieve randomly the error "Can't launch <and here the game's name>"

No error codes. Just this screen appears with "Xbox LIVE Marketplace" title and an "OK" option to continue.

Normally, if I hit again the "X" button (remember, I'm browsing my games library, so this button is to "launch" the game) after one or two tries the game launches correctly.  Sometimes I need to insist up to 6 or 8 times. Probably not big deal but pretty annoying and definetly is not working as it should.

Note that this is somewhat random. Yesterday I started like 30 arcade games (I have around 120) and I got the error in like 10.

Of course, before asking here, I tried to restart the console, clear the cache and recover my gamertag with no luck. Also I have all my licenses tied to this particular console. I even tried to disconnect the console from live but the same error popped up (even with the same title "Xbox LIVE Marketplace")

I tried to reproduce the scenario to trigger the problem and I think its something related to the game's library population.

- If I try to launch a game "too fast" before the library is fully loaded I get the error.

- I also noticed that if I enter in my game library and immediatly press the RB button during 5 o 6 seconds until I hit the end of the library and then start a game right away I get the error too.

But its not 100% accurate, and sometimes the game launches normally. So again this is just speculation. Furthermore I don't remember getting this error before.

By the way I have an Xbox 360 Slim model with a 250Gb hard drive.

So the thing is I don't know if this is a bug in the game library or if it's just me.

Any ideas?

Thanks

All Replies
    • Level   1

Update:

I tried to launch the games through:

Xbox Guide Button > Quick Launch > All

and there's no problem from there! At least with the 15 games I tried. All the games launch correctly without any error.

If I return to the "normal" game's library, I get again the error one of three times I try to launch a game :(

I don't know what's hapening. I have all the licenses correctly, I have a fresh gamertag, I have my cache cleaned, I even disconnected and connected again my hard drive.

I'm lost...

• Level   S

Hey there May! Right off the bat I would suggest trying to delete the game(s), clear the system cache, restart the console, and then download them again from your Download History, found under Account Management. Let me know if this helps, thanks!

• Level   1

Hello Mister Gwyther.

I have around 120 arcade games so delete and download again them all can take a while!

I will follow your suggestion but with "only" 20 games (thats it, delete all 20, clear cache, restart the console and download them again). And then I will experiment only with those 20 to find if they continue giving me the error.

Even with only 20 games this could take a while but I promise to write here when that task is done.

Again thank you very much. You have been very kind to me.

• Level   X

Thanks for trying that uMay. :-) Okay, when you deleted those 20 games, did you try and of the other games while those were deleted? I'm just wondering if perhaps the HDD is at capacity. If you look at your memory device (what kind of memory device do you have, while we're at it?), how much space is showing as free?

Mister Fitzer - Xbox Community Engagement

• Level   1

Hello Mister Fitzer!

Just before deleting the games I had 66,7 GB of free space.

I use the internal 250 GB Hard Drive that came with my Xbox360 "Slim" as memory device.

After deleting the games (I tried to delete the light ones) I had 68,8 GB of free space.

Sadly after deleting all those 20 games (and after clearing cache and restarting the xbox) I tried to launch another game as you say and I got the error on my first try :(

I'm downloading again all 20 games right now (from Download History) and then I will try to launch one of those to see if the solution Mister Gwyther proposed works. I will leave the console this night downloading all the games and tomorrow I will "experiment" with them. I will post here when that's done.

Thanks a lot for your help. Much appreciated.

• Level   1

No luck :(

I did what you tell me about deleting the games (20 in this case), clear cache, restart the console and download them all again. The second and third of those 20 games I tried to launch gave me the error.

Its very strange because I never got this error in the past and appart from the new dashboard nothing "extrange" happened to my Xbox. Well, that and that I downloaded my gamertag in one of my older Xbox. Anyway I use that Xbox just to watch movies, so I didn't even downloaded a game there, just my gamertag.

Just in case my gamertag was corrupted or something, as I said in a previous post, I downloaded a fresh gamertag from Xbox Live.

Im thinking in buying a new hard drive and transfer all the content to the new one, but my fear is to spend those money (the hard drive and the transfer cable for slim to slim) and then continue with the same error.

I don't know if you have any other idea...

Thanks

• Level   1

Well, this is great, just great.

I bought a new HD (a bigger one, 320GB) and a new transfer cable just in case my hard drive was "dying" or was corrupted or 66GB of free space wasn't enought (??).

I transferred all the content from the old hard drive to the new and now with another new-bigger hard drive I still get the error.

Great.

So at this point, after clearing cache, downloading again my gamertag, downloading again my games, buying a new hard drive.... I'm pretty sure this is a bug related to the new functionality the new dashboard has: download gamertag. Because before downloading my gamertag in another console, I didn't ever have this problem. And I used A LOT my arcade library, so I'm pretty sure I didn't have this problem in the past.

I don't know how this functionality works, because before downloading my gamertag was 44MB, and after downloading it was a few Kb. That's ok, I guess, because each time you launch a game the gamertag grows bigger, but at least in my case is ALSO causing this "can't launch <game>" until the system fully loads the library or until the system validates that the savegame of the actual game is actually downloaded in the gamertag or something. The thing is that now I need to try a lot of times in order to launch a game.

Again, this doesn't happens if you launch the game from Xbox Guide > Quick Launch > All, which makes my believe much more that this is a bug. Probably launching the games from there don't trigger the validation that's causing the error.

Right now I'm pretty sure I can't do anything more.

Anyway, as I promised you, I posted here all the updates in my case.

• Level   1

I am encountering this same error, bur in this case it is only with the game "Tropico 4". No matter how many times I click it, it will not launch.

• Level   1

I had this error for fallout 3 but I needed to be online for it to work

• Level   3

Hey there guys, can you try to preform a license transfer onto the primary Xbox that you use? You can do this by going to Settings > Account (Must be signed into live) > License Transfer and follow the prompts. After you have completed the license transfer, go into your storage device settings, and delete and redownload one of the titles you are having issues with. When finished downloading, try playing the game again to see if it still happens.

• Level   S

Hey all, please remember that this thread is very old. If you're experiencing a similar issue it's best to create your own thread. :)

- Retired Support Agent -

• Level   1

I have the same issues with starting games from my games library on hard drive. Latest game is Viva Pinata TIP. However game did start when accessed from the xbox button on controller and starting it from the games tab. I agree this must be an issue with Microsofts dashboard on there or something. I cleared everything and restored network settings to factory just to be able to sign into XBOX live. This needs to get fixed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ugghhhh. How can I buy a new xbox when they come out when Microsoft cant even get their old stuff to work right. Windows * format is prob the issue. Everything was fine before that.   :(

• Level   S
    • Suggested Answer

Hey there Mac! For our best help, please create a new thread here detailing your issue and any steps you have already taken. We'll be happy to assist you there, thanks!