This question is answered

Lagging and Audio/Video issues

• Level   1

Dear support,

Basically this thread sums up my problems with most of the newer Guitar Hero games: http://forums.xbox.com/xbox_forums/xbox_support/f/8/t/295868.aspx

And also this video shows what I mean: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZOy7_ogoYs

Everytime I start a new Song, the sound and the video are totally in sync. As the song progresses, especially when there is a lot going on on the screen, the video somehow lags behind the audio more and more. At first I tried calibrating the games again, although neither my TV nor my XBOX had changed. That brought up just the same values I had already set before. Then I searched the web for some help and read that deleting the cache might help. So I did that but without success. I also disconnected all wired controllers, transfered my savegames and profile from my USB drive to the HDD, tried other video and audio modes of my TV, changed the HDMI cable and I also installed the GH games onto the HDD. Still the same problem.

My System is an XBOX Slim with 250 GB that I bought last year. The games used to work fine on my old xbox elite and on this new box, too, just until a few weeks or months ago.

I do remember one of the last system updates changed something related to sound. I think it was because of some sync issues when playing videos? Not sure anymore, but perhaps this update fixed the sync issues with videos but made GH games unplayable? That's the only explanation I can think of.

Sincerely

merlezz

Verified Answer
    • Level   5
    • Verified Answer
    • Verified by

Resetting your system settings shouldn't harm the data on your hard drive. Did you try altering the video lag in the game any further though, as you say setting it at 4 made it worse. What about leaving the video lag at zero and adjusting the audio lag does that improve things any.

• Level   5
    • Verified Answer
    • Verified by

Great news merlezz, thanks for taking the time to post back here with your solution, it may just help someone else who comes across this issue. I have added this to my database of solutions for future reference for myself.

Happy gaming and if you get any other issues with your console you know where to come. Be safe

Regards

ThingOnAString

All Replies
    • Level   2

What kind of TV do you have?  It might have to do with the refresh rate.  Anything above a 60mhz is crap for Xbox imho.  Can you try running on an SDTV?

• Level   2

@Master Blud, not trying to be rude, but 60 mhz is a frequency in the 6 meter band for radio communications. This is how it goes, U.K=59hertz U.S.A=60hertz

• Level   2

Ok, your hertz is messed up. Try going through your TV's built-in menu and reset it all to factory/default.

Also, do this.

1.Scroll all to right on the dashboard.

2.Select System

3.Select Console Settings

4.Select Display

5.Select HDTV Settings

6.Select 1080p

7.Wait for changes to take place.

8. Turn off you Xbox and try it again.

• Level   2

@DEVILDOG USMC 4, it says right when you walk into a store (60Mhz or 120Mhz not Hz) Anywho, it makes a difference in how you see your game.  It is a frequency, not just for RADIOS.  Please search up 60Mhz and 120Mhz HDTVs.

• Level   2

Master Blud, I am a HAM Radio operator, and It is Hertz, not MegaHertz.

answers.yahoo.com/.../index

Google it, it is all hertz, not megahertz.

• Level   2

oops sorry, my mistake move on.  Sorry, Hz, Merlezz.  I was thinking of something completely different.  Please try a SD channel on there and see if there is an improvement.  

• Level   5

So anyway merlezz, back to your issue.

-

Have you tried the basic steps such as resetting the display settings on your console?

Power the console on using the guide button on a controller, as the console boots up press and hold Y and the right trigger, the display settings are reset and the console will reboot.

-

Did you maybe update the firmware on your tv recently if indeed you have a tv that take firmware updates, that could have changed some settings on your tv, it may also be worth actually seeing if there is a firmware update for your tv.

-

Double check your tv settings, is game mode enabled if your tv has that or something similar, try taking a poke around in the tv settings for anything to do with signal processing such as 200Hz mode and turn that off.

-

Which tv do you use by the way, I have all the guitar hero games and have never come across this issue myself, I use a Samsung UE46B8000 tv.

-

Just had a thought, in the game settings do you have the Dolby digital option selected, that can cause lag.

• Level   2

If you cant get it on HD, then try a Component Cable,or Composite.and see if it still does that. Also Master Blud,I sent you a PM, i didnt know you posted on here again,sorry. Im just busy.

• Level   5

Something else to try, in the display settings of your console try turning display discovery off if it's on or on if it's off.

• Level   2

Ahhh ThingOnAString, never thought of that. :-)

• Level   1

Can I ask are you playing online / offline?

• Level   5

I have played online and offline, never seen the issue you describe. Just to add I also have the 250GB Slim console.

• Level   2

The main problem is the refresh rate. Did you buy your game from an international seller? Or here in the USA?

• Level   1

Thanks for these many responses! I will definately try your suggestions tomorrow.

- I did a reset of the console's video settings already. That didn't help.

- I have also tried a composite cable already.

- Tomorrow I am going to reset my tv's video settings though. Haven't thought of that.

- It seems to me that disabling Dolby might also be a good idea. Back in the days, GH3 used to lag extremely on PC when Dolby was turned on.

- My tv the xbox is connected to is a LG 42LD420 and I did not update it's firmware recently and It is set to game mode.

- The games are solely European versions, but so is my xbox.

- The problem occurs online and offline.

Will report back soon. Thanks again.

• Level   1

So today I reset my TV to its factory defaults, turned off display discovery, turned off Dolby Digital in the game and the console's system menu, switched to an analog Scart-connector and reset the display settings as ThingOnAString suggested by pressing the right bumper and Y. Unfortunately nothing has changed and the problem is still there :(

I don't really think it has something to do with my tv, because it is only capable of displaying 50 Hz and there is no option in the menu to change - frequency-wise. The only things the game mode changes (which is currently still active) are dynamic contrast and dynamic birghtness adjustments. It is an older model and was even back then when I bought it comparatively cheap.

It is so frustrating, because I know it worked several hours of GH-gaming-time with this configuration and TV / XBOX setup.

Any further suggestions?