This question is answered

Secondary DNS Server

• Level   2

Hi, ive not been able to connect to Xbox Live for a couple days now and finally went through every trouble shooter i could find, it turns out i dont have a Secondary DNS server. i found this out while i was trying to manually configure my network ( following the walkthrough) any on have any idea what i should do now?

Verified Answer
  • Nope it won't affect him at all, you set-up the static ip address on the Xbox itself e.g.:-

IP Address: 192.168.1.1.210

Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0

Gateway: 192.168.1.1

• Level   8
    • Verified Answer
    • Verified by

Please start your own post and provide full details - Thanks

All Replies
    • Level   4

Just contact your ISP they can provide you with your DNS for your modem then you can transfer that into your info. also you can type CMD into "run" (or the Windows key + R) on windows and type ipconfig/all and it will show you all of your information for your router and/or modem

• Level   2

I have done the CMD process and still nothing, even tried using a public DNS  but my xbox still wont connect to the internet, may i add i'm using a bridged connection from my xbox to laptop i never normally have these problems.

• Level   4

Bridged connections are tricky have you forwarded the ports on your modem and/or router and you firewall on the laptop?

• Level   2

yep, ive been on live lately. Thats why this problem is random as hell. one day everything is fine the next it seriously isnt lol

• Level   4

Have you reset the router modem and restored the Xbox network settings to defaults and see if it could pick up an IP and DNS on its own?

• Level   2

yeah tried that aswell :s

• Level   8

You don't actually need a second DNS server it is only used if it cannot connect the primary server. What error message do you get when you try to connect to live using the "test xbox live" setting

• Level   2

Test failed.

Theres a problem with your connection. select more info for a description of the problem and how to fix it.

no codes or anything

• Level   8

Yeah but it will give you a reason which part of the connection does it fail on? support.xbox.com/.../connect-xbox-live

• Level   2

it connects to the network but wont connect to the internet

• Level   8

Can you post the exact make/model of your router and also do you have a firewall on your laptop (not including the windows firewall) maybe Zonealarm/Mcafee/Norton etc etc?

• Level   2

Inventel Dv4210 - WU

nope no firewalls

• Level   8
    • Suggested Answer

Ok please setup a static ip address for your Xbox and follow this:- portforward.com/.../Xbox_Live_360.htm

• Level   2

ok, but if i set up a static ip will i need to do anything to my dads laptop to make sure he can still use the internet?

• Nope it won't affect him at all, you set-up the static ip address on the Xbox itself e.g.:-

IP Address: 192.168.1.1.210

Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0

Gateway: 192.168.1.1