This question has suggested answer(s)

Xbox is confused about my Windows Live ID

• Level   1

I can't get onto Xbox Live, because my Xbox thinks my Windows Live ID corresponds with a different gamertag. My gamertag is (edited by a moderator) and my e-mail address is (edited by a moderator)

-At the top of the page, I see (edited by a moderator).

-On the contact info page of my account, I see (edited by a moderator)

-I recently changed the password and logged in again to confirm it changed.

-I go onto my Xbox. And try to get on Xbox Live.

-It has me choose the profile I want to go onto Xbox Live with.

-I enter (edited by a moderator) in the First Name slot.

-I enter my Windows Live ID: (edited by a moderator) in the e-mail slot.

-I enter the password that I confirmed was correct into the password slot.

-Xbox says "This Windows Live ID is associated with a different gamertag. Enter another Windows Live ID and password.

What should I do to fix this problem?

All Replies
    • Level   5

Please check HERE that you have done things properly.

I don't think it's a good idea to be putting your email address on here either otherwise you're open to all sorts of abuse.

• Level   1

Thanks for the link. Unfortunately, none of it was even remotely helpful.

Find your Windows Live ID

-1. Sign in using your Xbox LIVE gamertag. (Can't sign in. It only says "Join Xbox Live" and there's where the problem begins)

Reset your password (This is not necessary, as I know my password)

Change your Windows Live ID password (Already did)

Remove your Windows Live ID password from the console (Not possible)

Switch your gamertag to a different Windows Live ID

-1. Sign in using your Xbox LIVE gamertag. (Can't sign in. It only says "Join Xbox Live" and there's where the problem begins)

Thank you for trying to help, but it appears my problem starts a bit earlier than you thought.

Oh, and don't worry about me just giving my e-mail out. This is a less-used e-mail.

• Level   X

Hey Wobbly - would you be able to summarize your issue without using specific references to your personal info? I ask because I'd like to better understand your issue, but unfortunately we do not allow email addresses etc to be posted due to privacy concerns. Thanks!

Emily - Program Manager @ Xbox, Xbox One Preview Program

• Level   1

Yes, I can do that.

I have an Xbox Live Account, an Xbox Live Gamertag, a Windows Live ID, and a Windows Live Password.

I log into the Xbox Live Account from the PC using my Windows Live ID and Windows Live Password and am able to see the Xbox Live Gamertag on my Xbox Live Account.

I then get on my Xbox 360 and click my Xbox Profile.

I then click "Join Xbox Live". It then asks for a "First Name".

I shorten my Xbox Live Gamertag and enter it in the First Name area.

It then asks me for my Windows Live ID. I enter my Windows Live ID.

It then asks me for my Windows Live Password. I enter my Windows Live Password.

It then tells me that the Xbox Live Gamertag I entered is not associated with the Windows Live ID I entered, and that I should enter a different Windows Live ID and Windows Live Password.

Thus, Xbox is confused.

I know the Windows Live Password I entered is correct, because I can log on with it on the PC.

I know the Windows Live ID is associated with the Xbox Live Gamertag because they're both connected on my Xbox Live Account.

It's very odd, yet somehow funny, to be called Wobbly...

• Level   5

"I shorten my Xbox Live Gamertag and enter it in the First Name area"

Is this your name you used when you set up your windows live ID ?

• Level   1

Well, I tried that one first, then I tried my "first name" on my Xbox Live Account. The thing I don't get is why it says "This Windows Live ID is associated with a different gamertag" when it doesn't have me specify a gamertag, only a first name, e-mail, and password.

• Level   X
    • Suggested Answer

Ah, okay, thank you for the explanation! I believe what is happening is that you are attempting to create an account that already exists. You mention you're able to log into your account on here. If that's the case, you should just be able to recover that account to your Xbox 360 console. You won't need to create the account or "Join Xbox LIVE." For information on account recovery, please visit: support.xbox.com/.../gamer-profile

Emily - Program Manager @ Xbox, Xbox One Preview Program