This question is not answered

Xbox Disconnects every 5-10 minutes, but will hold for up to an hour.

• Level   1
I've spent about 3 hours total with xbox support and I'm not having any luck. Typically it works for the duration I'm with them on chat, then when I get off about 5-15 minutes later it disconnects.

When I test my connection, the network and internet connect, but the xbox live will not. Sometimes it reconnects randomly for up to an hour before disconnecting again. I've done traceroutes during disconnects to my internet provider and everything is stable. I called my internet provider and he said that they are having "a lot of xbox LIVE" problems. He said it would be fixed by connecting my ethernet cord straight into the modem. He then told me that it was xbox's fault and I had to wait for an update. The modem connection worked for a while, but then within an hour was back to disconnecting.

I have rebooted my router, modem, deleted corrupt files, cleared system cache, entered port numbers for 360, opened my NAT settings, checked for data corruption in my profile, tried using my wireless adapter, deleted the last LIVE update and redownloaded it. Again it appears "fixed" but within an hour it loses the connection again.

I have not had problems disconnecting for the last year and half in my apartment. It just started on Presidents Day when I got back from a trip. (I had taken my xbox with me and it worked fine at the other place on LIVE).
All Replies
    • Level   1

Its not the router its not he modem its ot the xbox its live. I dont have a modem im fiber optic direct. I deleted one update file and it worked fine saturday. Night. My biggest crash time is  around 8-9 pm central time. I will be retestIng the connection tonight during a full band rockband gig. Will keep you all informed

Cyn
    • Level   1

Which file did you delete?

ALSO,XBOX SUPPORT: I asked my friend to look under his storage and system items. We came up with different things. They were the same for the most part. (I deleted my optional media system data just now to see if that would fix LIVE, it did not). Getting to the point: He had 400kb for Marketplace System Data updated 2/27/12. I had 100kb for Marketplace System Data updated 6/20/09.  Could this be causing the problem? 

• Level   1

It was somthing enhancements that i deleted

Cyn
    • Level   1

I sat with xbox support for ANOTHER 2-3 hours (up to about 17 hours now) and tried to do the stupid manual update that I already know won't work. Because I have a mac it wasn't unzipping the files properly (and I am not nerd enough to know if I did it wrong). I inserted a burned CD, restarted my console and nothing happened. The Tech guy then told me I had to try it on a PC to "rule out the possibility that I did it wrong". I have to wait another 2 weeks before I go home during spring break to burn it at my parents house and then confirm that the update won't work that way (hahahaha). At one point the tech guy admitted xbox is working on the update issue, and so when I asked him if they knew there was a problem but weren't admitting it to the public and their loyal customers he quickly said something like "Well, if there's a problem we are working on it". He never gave a date to when it will be fixed. So, I bitched and I bitched and I bitched some more and eventually he offered me a month-free subscription to make up for the month I will not be able to use LIVE. I suggest asking for compensation. Well, demand really, because this is BS.

• Level   1

kaelinyami i live in bemeidji mn i have the same internet provider as and same modem as u...i been having the same problems as u it started about 2 or 3 weeks ago......i think its A live problem and there not telling us the guy told me at my internet provider alot of xbox people are calling haveing the same issues...man im getting pissed it suck i been with xbox AND only xbox since the beginning i called xbox bitched same thing they had me do as of u did .......

• Level   1

Did you do the manual update? My mac wouldn't unzip the files, so I don't know if that "fixes" it. I've read that it doesn't, so I'm not very hopeful. I wonder if their update is mostly affecting something in the internet system for smaller-towns. I'm not sure how internet stuff works, but that would explain why a majority of people were not affected. I know Paul Bunyan said  they were having a crapton of problems. He said he tried a netgear and as far as he knew it was working again, but he also admitted he hardly had played so he wasn't 100% sure. I've seen that getting a new router doesn't work either, so I'm doubtful it's fixed.

• Level   1

no i just sighned in and auto downloaded after that. problems ever since i got a new wirless router netgear and did not work.... and i have a 8 porter that does not help either.

• Level   1

i thought about asking for a new modem too see if that works have u got a new?

• Level   1

Mine autodownloaded as well. I wasn't prompted for the 16th update. I didn't update until the 23rd, but tech support told me the 23rd update would include the one from the 16th. They offered to give me a new modem. I've had 2 break on me already and I've only been with them for a year and a half. I suppose it couldn't hurt to get a new free modem, but I also highly doubt that it's the problem.

• Level   S

Kaelin, I'm sorry to hear this issue is still persisting. Since you already have the new modem coming in, I would say try that out and see if it has any effect. When you get that set up, please also try resetting your network settings on your console and start from scratch there.

For anyone else experiencing this exact issue, please let me know roughly where you are connecting from and who your ISP is. Thanks!

• Level   1

Yeah, no. It didn't work. But I'd like to thank you guys for wasting 2 weeks and over 20 hours of my time and not admitting something is wrong on xbox's end with the update. I'd like to take another moment to thank you again for not providing a solution. And thank you again for treating me and everyone else like incompetent morons. And I am especially grateful that I get to spend my spring break playing offline games I've beaten a hundred times and mass effect 3 on single-player only. It's okay, I only have two jobs and am a full-time student so any time I get to LIVE is breaks and weekends.

I am so grateful. I feel like a valued customer. As I'm sure everyone else having problems with the update feels too. So please, tell me to reboot my modem, router and xbox again. Or how about clear my system cache? Open my ports? Check my NAT settings? Redownload my gamertag again? Or how about delete the last update and redownload it? Do it manually? Waste my money on a new router or modem? How about spend hours with my ISP? Sit on the forums? Spend another 20 hours with tech support telling me to do everything above all over again? Buy a new xbox?

Or, how about... You guys. Man up and admit fault and fix it. That is the only solution.

• Level   1

^^^^This is perfect!  I feel your pain Kaelin.  I have a connection better then 90% of the world and I've got these problems.

• Level   1

All right. This is how it is. I've spent 24+ hours with xbox support and they have determined it is not my xbox in any way shape or form. My internet provider has come to the same conclusion.

I have gotten a new modem.  It is still disconnecting. I am not getting a new router because directly connecting it to the modem is still disconnecting.

I am going to take my xbox to my parents on Thursday March 8th. If it keeps disconnecting then it is an xbox LIVE issue. If it does not keep disconnecting then it is my ISP. Either way, I've been screwed out of services and my time for 3 weeks. Someone needs to take responsibility.

• Level   X

Hey Kaelin - taking your console to another network would be a good test. Just make sure you reset your network settings to their defaults when you set up there! We'll be interested to hear the results. :)

Emily - Program Manager @ Xbox, Xbox One Preview Program

• Level   1

Well after spending the last three days at my parents and not disconnecting once, I am now going to shove my foot so far up my ISP's asses they're going to taste it. They have sworn up and down that it is not them and it is the xbox update. I kind of think it partly is. Is there anything in the last update that would make them incompatible now with the new updates? Every time I call them and complain about disconnecting they get upset and go "You have to wait for an xbox update, it's not us!" So now I'm going to have to *** at them for God knows how long to get them to give me services I'm entitled to. Or they're just going to continue to deny it and treat me like a retard and continue to make me pay 125 for **** service a month. Do you guys know why it would be that LIVE disconnects constantly?Is it some kind of equipment incompatibility or something? I know my upload and download speeds are good enough for LIVE so it's not that. I've never had a problem with them for the last 4 years I've been using that particular company. I was in the dorms for 3 years and my apartment for the last year and a half and have not had any disconnecting problems. It just started within the last month.