This question is answered

DNS Error

• Level   2

Modem brand & model number: Motorola Surfboard
Router brand & model number:  Linksys E4200
Is UPnP Enabled? Yes/no/Unknown Unknown
Do you have a NAT error? If so, what is your NAT? Moderate to Open switches back and forth
Who is your ISP(Internet Service Provider)?  Comcast
After you run "Test Xbox LIVE connection" press “Y” for "More Info”. In the pop-up that appears, what are the following values, if shown? (If a value below does not appear for you, just leave it blank.)
W:
0000-000B
X:
  0001-8005
Y:  
0000-0000
Z: 
8015-1904
ID:
0002-0002
L: 
8015-1901
Q: 
8007-0435

I tried opening all the ports that were suggested and it did not fix my problem. The xbox has been DMZ'd. Still having issues with moderate NAT after DMZ.

All it says after getting a connection test is that there is a DNS error.

Dropping out at the end of mass effect 3 platinum runs and not getting paid is not cool.

Verified Answer
    • Level   2
    • Verified Answer
    • Verified by

I traded in my xbox for a reconditioned slim model at gamestop and it fixed everything.

I was told that it might have been a net card issue with the whole getting progressively worse thing by a friend who knows a bit about networking, (he knows a lot more than me).

So gamestop gets a broken xbox even though I was up front with the manager about it.

Thanks for the help though.

All Replies
    • Level   M

Hello there PSG ProFatman. Sorry to hear about your problems. Please visit the following link for solutions regarding  DNS errors. support.xbox.com/.../error-your-dns-server-cant-resolve-978847

I hope this helps. Please come back if this does not help.

Thank you.

Post provided "as-is" and confers no rights

GamerKitten     CraveTheGame

• Level   8

Hi,

Make sure the Linksys is running the very latest firmware.

Remove any port forwarding/DMZ

Ensure UPnP is enabled

Untick "Block/Filter anonymous Internet requests"

Set your Xbox ip address/DNS to auto

And try again

• Level   3

The best thing to do is to set the DNS on your XBOX manually.

1. On your dashboard go to Settings then System

2. Choose network settings

3. Choose Wired or Wireless depending on how you are connecting your xbox to the router

4. Choose Configure Network then select DNS settings

5. Choose Manual

6. For primary DNS set it to 8.8.8.8

7. For secondary DNS set it to 8.8.4.4

8. Choose done and test your connection

No more DNS error

• Level   2

Alright, I have tried everything on this list, and everything I could find online.

I am about ready to trade in my xbox for another one to see if it is the xbox itself.

Any last suggestions, could it be a problem with the xbox.Hardware malfunction.

It has been getting steadily worse over the last 6-9 months, and now I can't even stay in a party for more than 30 secs without rapidly disconneting and reconnecting, and even then I can only hear certain people talk for a few second and then they will come back after a period of silence. I can't stay online for more than a few minutes without having to reset the xbox and try reconnecting.

The only thing keeping me sane right now is the fact that darksiders 2 isn't multiplayer.

• Level   9

Greetings ProFatman!
    Could you post up the model of your Motorola Surfboard.

Could you verify if you experience the same problem even with a direct connection to your Motorola Surfboard.

• Level   2

It is a SB6120

And no, I cannot verify a direct connection at his time.

• Level   8
    • Suggested Answer

Without testing direct you are going to struggle to find out where the issue is to be honest

Please try to set-up your router exactly like this (very similar model of router) www.unofficialguidetolive.co.uk/.../59-my-nat-is-strict-or-moderate

• Level   S
    • Suggested Answer

Hey there, PSG ProFatman. Do you s till need assistance? If so, please let us know and we'll be happy to help. A good first step would be to give Shad0wman's suggestion a shot. Thanks! Standing by. :)

How to use the forums
    Retired Support Agent - No PMs please!

• Level   2
    • Verified Answer
    • Verified by

I traded in my xbox for a reconditioned slim model at gamestop and it fixed everything.

I was told that it might have been a net card issue with the whole getting progressively worse thing by a friend who knows a bit about networking, (he knows a lot more than me).

So gamestop gets a broken xbox even though I was up front with the manager about it.

Thanks for the help though.

• Level   9

Glad to hear that your up and running again.

Happy gaming and play safe.

• Level   1

I can't  join to network my dns error he is tell me to contact my isp.  And l do not know how i can fix it ?

• Level   S

Hi Bump. This thread is quite old. I would suggest creating a new one, and providing the following bold information. We will be there to assist! :D

What Country/State/Province do you live in? 
    Modem brand & model number: 
    Router brand & model number: 
    If Wireless, are you using a white or black external adapter, or an internal (Xbox 360S) adapter?
    Things you have tried: 
    Is UPnP Enabled? Yes/no/Unknown
    Do you have a NAT error? If so, what is your NAT type?
    Any Error Codes you encounter: 
    Who is your ISP(Internet Service Provider)? 
    After you run "Test Xbox LIVE connection" press “Y” for "More Info”. In the pop-up that appears, what are the following values, if shown? (If a value below does not appear for you, just leave it blank.)
    W:
    X:
    Y:
    Z:
    ID:
    L:
    Q:
    T:
    D:
    S:
    C:

• Level   1

lalala ***  there anwsers did not help me at all

• Level   5

If you are having a similar problem, please create your own thread with the specifics to your issue. That is how the forums best work for all. :)