This question has suggested answer(s)

Do I need a new router?

• Level   2

Hey, I picked up my second Xbox 360 this week and I'm having some connection issues. When either Xbox 360 is in my bedroom (which is in the basement just under the router) they connect just fine. When I have either one of them in my living room in the basement which is probably 20 feet away down a hallway from the xbox in my room it wont connect. If i pull it out into the hallway a little bit (out of the entertainment center) it connects, but every once and a while will disconnect (assuming weak signal). My friends and I are thinking the router is old and isn't sending the signal far enough nor strong for the xbox. The only reason I'm kind of iffy about it being my router is because my laptop connects there, and even outside by my pool (even  though it is slower the further you go). Which could also be because it doesn't take as much from the router to connect to the laptop as the Xbox 360.

All Replies
    • Level   6

It's really up to you, a new router would be helpful since it will be more up-to-date and will probably give a better signal at a better distance. However you could always try updating your router to get the latest updates, which could solve a lot of issues.

Another tip is that wireless signals are usually stronger when going down, for example, when the router is above you, the signal would be better than if you were a floor above it, that's why most large buildings with Wi-Fi will have their wireless receivers on the roof to amplify the signal downwards.

Also check that your wireless band (for some routers) is compatible with slower devices, so 2.4GHz instead of trying to make the router run at 5GHz to increase wireless speed, since a lot of devices don't support 5GHz speed.

Hope this helps a bit :P

XBOX LIVE Ambassador and Enforcement United

• Level   2

Well Thank you that helps, I will look into a router mine is several years old its wireless G not wireless N so its probably due for an upgrade anyways.

• Level   8
    • Suggested Answer

Hi,

If you are suffering from wireless performance issues have a look at these links:-

support.xbox.com/.../performance

www.unofficialguidetolive.co.uk/.../111-troubleshooting-and-improving-wireless

If you still have issues after that and if you are happy with your current router why not buy homeplugs/powerline adapters instead which are ideal for hard to reach areas of your home

• Level   9
    • Suggested Answer

metasofa.org/.../parabolic.html

Support: tinyurl.com/XBLnumbers or Request A Call support.xbox.com   How to get FreeLIVE j.mp/XVriY7

• Level   S

Vibroplex,

We don't recommend doing anything like that to our Xbox accessories.

- Retired Support Agent -

• Level   2

Upgrading to a wireless N router would most probably improve your signal strength among other things. How strong does the wireless adaptor show the wireless signal in the hallway?

Your laptop may have a better wireless adaptor than the Xbox (since there's probably more space for a bigger antenna!) If your router is old it's probably transmitting at 2.4Ghz (the xbox doesn't support 5Ghz anyway) so if you do buy a new router bear this in mind.

You can also use a range extender as an alternative.

Hope this helps =)

• Level   9
    • Suggested Answer

Oh, forgot to mention, it goes on the wireless router, not the Xbox antennae.

Support: tinyurl.com/XBLnumbers or Request A Call support.xbox.com   How to get FreeLIVE j.mp/XVriY7

• Level   8

Personally I would not recommend modifying any wireless equipment they are built and have to conform to strict standards and specifications and modifying them can affect that