This question has suggested answer(s)

Can't connect to specific friend in party or games

• Level   1

I can join parties and online games with other people and they work just fine. My NAT is open and so is his and we have no idea what to do to fix this. Any suggestions?

All Replies
    • Level   1
    • Suggested Answer

Could be a issue in the router settings or even a problem with the service provider

• Level   1

Thanks. If it is one of those things what would you suggest doing?

• Level   5

Hey there Techn!
    Appreciate if you could provide a little more information reagarding this issue. Please read: START HERE! And post back in full detail (the bits that are in bold).

Thanks!

• Level   2

Hey there Techn9cian 816 this could be too do with your network address translation otherwise known as NAT, Sometimes the reason why you cannot connect to other people on Xbox live is because they have a Moderate to strict NAT Setting, have you checked all of your settings? On Xbox and your router configuration page? otherwise i suggest you open up some ports on your router these being  

* TCP 80
    * UDP 88
    * UDP 3074
    * TCP 3074
    * UDP 53
    * TCP 53

Thats what the ports are.

In the address bar type in your routers IP address. It should be default at 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.2.1. When you're prompted for a password you have found it =P. If you haven't changed it the username and password should both be admin, and admin.

Step 3: USING DMZ When you enter into your router config window, you need to find the Tab DMZ, it should be under applications and gaming if you are using Linksys. Once you find the DMZ tab, click enable and type in the last digits of your XBOX into the box below. Yes when you do this you are opening all the ports on your Xbox, which is insecure, but show me someone that has hacked into an xbox 360!

MAKE SURE YOU SAVE SETTINGS!

Step 4:Using Port Forwarding After you have enabled DMZ, find the Port Forwarding tab, which should be under advanced routing. For the name type in XBL or whatever you want, and for port range put 87 to 89, choose UDP, then your XBOX last digits and enable. Then do 3073 to 3075 choose TCP, then your XBOX last digits and enable. Then again do 3073 to 3075 choose UDP, then your XBOX last digits, and enable.

MAKE SURE YOU SAVE SETTINGS

Step 5: Using UPnP This is just in case. Go into UPnP forwarding and enter the same stuff you did for Step 4.
    MAKE SURE YOU SAVE SETTINGS

Step 6: Now logout of your router config. Unplug your router and modem from the power, then plug in the router 1st, wait 30 seconds. Then plug in the modem and wait at least 2 minutes. If you don't do these hard restarts it might not work!

Step 7: Restart your Xbox and go to the system blade, choose network settings, then test connection. This may take a bit, but when it gets down to NAT type it should say OPEN. If not, sorry. You can just undo all the settings we changed, you can just uncheck enabled on the port forwarding. Or if you want to restore your router to the factory defaults just push the reset button on the back of it.

Hope this helps.

JakesinHD

• Level   5
    • Suggested Answer

Some NAT problems are subtle and don't appear in the Test Xbox Live Connection test. Most likely there's a port blocked... ports can be blocked in your router, modem, or at your ISP. Since the Xbox 360 uses different ports than PCs & Macs use, you can't see the effect of a port blockage except on the Xbox.

A sequential power cycle is the first step in clearing a port blockage:

1) turn off the Xbox then

2) unplug power from the router (Some folks have a combination modem-router AKA 'gateway' or only use a modem with no router. If either, skip steps 3 & 6).

3) unplug power from the modem.

4) Wait at least 30 secs then replug the modem (or gateway) power.

5) Wait 'til the light on the front of the modem (or gateway) which says ONLINE, READY, CABLE or DSL is on solid (not flashing), then plug in the router. If you have a gateway instead of a modem and router or a modem with no router, then when that light says it's ready, skip step 6.

6) Wait until the WiFi light on the router is on; you may not use WiFi, but it's still a good indicator your router is finished booting up.

7) Turn on the Xbox.  For more background on Ports, see whatismyipaddress.com/port

If the problem persists, please send us the info we need from forums.xbox.com/.../155724.aspx so we may work on this further.

Support: tinyurl.com/XBLnumbers or Request A Call support.xbox.com   How to get FreeLIVE j.mp/XVriY7

• Level   1

Thanks I have tried opening the ports but my friend hasn't yet so hopefully that will resolve the issues.

But in response to taidara I am in Kansas. I have a netgear wndr3700v2 router. I have tried turning on and off UPnP to open NAT which it did, so my NAT is now open. When I test my connection to xbox live it doesn't come up with any errors. Just when I try to join specific parties a message pops up "can't connect to xbox live party" and I can't join games with those specific people either

• Level   5

Well, NAT may be improved, but there's still some degree of port blockage. If the port clearance process I recommended didn't fix it, then we need to confirm how many Xbox 360 consoles you have in the house before proceeding further. Once we know if there's only one, then setting up Port Forwarding as per  http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/Netgear/WNDR3700/Xbox_Live_360.htm and disabling UPnP would be the next step.

Support: tinyurl.com/XBLnumbers or Request A Call support.xbox.com   How to get FreeLIVE j.mp/XVriY7

• Level   1

This sometimes happens to me. What we did was turn off Xbox's, unplug the router u know the rest.   After that we could connect. Also heard if your routers firmware is outdated this problem happens. Try updating  your router's firmware at the manufacturers site. Check your xbox dashboard settings and make sure you have the privacy settings to allowed.

My were for some reason set to "not allow" public to view and voice chat. Or have someone else start a party and have them invite you. Thats what we mostly did.

• Level   1

Could a problem be i'm at college and many others in my dorm have xboxs? although to my knowledge nobody else is having this problem but me. Vibroplex when portforwarding what should i put in the last box for the IP address? the IP of my computer or xbox 360? Because i think they are different right?

• Level   S
    • Suggested Answer

Hey there, Techn9cian 816. If you are at college then that might be the source of the issue. You might want to contact your college's technical support to see if they're blocking any ports. Can you check into this for us? Thanks!

How to use the forums
    Retired Support Agent - No PMs please!

• Level   1

I went to try and ask and they wouldn't really tell me because they said technically the internet is for academic purposes only and they're jerks about it so they won't help because they figured out i was trying to find out for xbox live. Is there anyway to find that out myself or get around it?

• Level   5
    • Suggested Answer

> when portforwarding what should i put in the last box for the IP address? the IP of my computer or xbox 360?

The IP address of the console because we're building a high-speed exit ramp off the Information Superhighway for Xbox data only, so we want that to go to the Xbox360.

• Level   5
    • Suggested Answer

> I went to try and ask and they wouldn't really tell me because they said technically the internet

> is for academic purposes only and they're jerks about it so they won't help because they figured

> out i was trying to find out for xbox live. Is there anyway to find that out myself or get around it?

They own the network; they'd have to fix the network to open those ports. Suppose you could say you need the ports 1863 and 3074 open for an academic project with the Kinect (if you can make one up that has to do with near-infrared something-or-other).

If you do Start | Run | CMD{Enter} telnet xbox.com 3074  and it fails it will say Connection Refused. If it is not blocked, it will connect and give a blank screen - then if you type get & hit {Enter} it sends raw html gobbledygook to you.

• Level   1

I tried to do that command prompt thing and I couldn't figure out how to do it, it says it invalid so its not giving me the blank screen or anything it just says invalid

• Level   5
    • Suggested Answer

OK, so you don't have the telnet app enabled. Instead, try www.firebind.com/tests/xbox