This question has suggested answer(s)

Xbox 360 Slim Internal Wifi Error, Couldnt obtain IP address from router/modem.

• Level   1
Hey guys, a few months ago I bought the new xbox 360 slim 250BG console, I tried using wifi to connect to my wifi network but it didn't work, at the time I didnt realy care and I just used a cable. Then I moved... now we have a Bigpond Modem on one side of the house and a TP-Link on the other side of the house so we can have full wifi coverage. Whenever I try to connect to the TP-Link it says it couldn't obtain an IP address, also I cannot connect to the Bigpond because it is too far. Here's some more info: We have MAC filtering on (I have added the MAC address in the list) I have my computer in the same room My router runs on 2.4Ghz DCHP (I think thats how its called) is on I troed turning off MAC filtering and it still didnt work. The Bigbond gives the TP-Link internet so it can expand the wifi range The TP-Link is directly underneath my xbox and is inaccessable with an Ethernet cable. I have tried sulotions like resetting my xbox settings and restarting my xbox and router. I was thinking that maybe I could connect my xbox to my computer and get internet through that. Please reply I really want to be able to play online again.
All Replies
    • Level   4
    • Suggested Answer

Error: Can't obtain an IP address from your router or modem

Solution 1: Reset to factory defaults

Note Before you reset your Xbox 360 console's settings, make sure that you document the current dashboard settings in case you need to restore your settings later. You will also need your wireless network password.

Reset your Xbox 360 console's network settings to the default settings. Here's how to do this:

1. Turn off your console.
    2. Wireless connection only: Unplug the Xbox 360 Wireless Networking Adapter from the USB port.
    3. Turn on your console.
    4. Press the Guide button on your controller, go to Settings, and select System Settings.
    5. Select Network Settings.
    6. Select Wired Network or the name of your wireless network, if you are prompted to do so.
    7. Select Configure Network.
    8. On the Additional Settings tab, select Restore to Factory Defaults.

Note This will only reset the network settings. This will not affect any other console settings.
    9. Turn off your console.
    10. Wireless connection only: Plug the Xbox 360 Wireless Networking Adapter back into the USB port (if you are using an adapter).
    11. Turn on your console. 

Wireless only: You will receive a message to configure wireless settings. Follow the on-screen instructions to connect to your wireless network.
    12. Test your Xbox LIVE connection. To do this, press the Guide button on your controller, go to Settings, and select System Settings. Select Network Settings, select Wired Network or your wireless network name (if you are prompted to do so), and then select Test Xbox LIVE Connection.

If you receive the same error message, please try the next solution.

If your console is connected directly to your modem, please see solutions 5 and 6, below.

Solution 2: Restart your network equipment

1. Turn off your Xbox 360 console and your network hardware (such as your modem and your router).
    2. Wait 30 seconds.
    3. Turn on your modem and wait for it to come online. (This may take approximately one minute.)
    4. Turn on the next piece of hardware (for example, a router), and wait another minute.
    5. Repeat step 4 for any additional network hardware.
    6. Turn on your Xbox 360 console, press the Guide button on your controller, go to Settings, and select System Settings.
    7. Select Network Settings.
    8. Select Wired Network or the name of your wireless network, if you are prompted to do so.
    9. Select Test Xbox LIVE Connection.

If you receive the same error message, try the next solution.

Solution 3 (wireless only): Check your wireless password

If you are using a wireless connection, make sure that you are connecting to your wireless network and have entered the correct password. An incorrect password might make it look like your console is connected to your wireless network, but your console will not receive an IP address.

1. On your console, press the Guide button on your controller, go to Settings, and select System Settings.
    2. Select Network Settings.
    3. If you are prompted to select a network, do one of the following:
      1. Select your wireless network name, and then press Y on your controller to disconnect from your wireless network.
      2. Select your wireless network name and enter the wireless password when prompted.

If you still can't connect move to solution 4.

4. Select Configure Network.

Note If the IP address begins with 169 or appears as 0.0.0.0, your console is not getting a valid IP address. Continue following the steps below, and make sure to enter the correct wireless network password.
    5. On the Basic Settings tab, select Wireless Mode.
    6. Select Scan for Networks.
    7. Enter your wireless network password, and then select Done.
    8. Press on your controller, and then test your connection.

If you receive the same error message, please try the next solution.

Solution 4: Set your IP settings manually

Because automatic IP settings didn't work, let's try setting the IP address manually. First, we need to obtain your computer’s IP settings.

TO OBTAIN YOUR COMPUTER'S IP SETTINGS

1. On your computer, click Start, type cmd in the search box, and then press ENTER.

Note If you're using Windows XP, click Start, click Run, type cmd, and then press ENTER.
    2. At the prompt, type ipconfig, and then press ENTER.
    3. Find your network connection. (For example, look for "Local Area Connection" or "Wireless Network Connection.")

Note the numbers for the following items:
      • IP address (or IPv4 address)
      • Subnet mask
      • Default gateway

Note the address numbers

4. Make up a unique IP address for your Xbox 360 console and write it down. For example, add 10 to the last number of your computer's default gateway address. (For example, if your computer's address is 192.168.1.1, use 192.168.1.11 for your console's IP address.)

Note Each IP address on your network must be unique.

Now let's set your console's IP settings.

TO SET YOUR XBOX 360 CONSOLE'S IP SETTINGS

1. On your console, press the Guide button on your controller, go to Settings, and select System Settings.
    3. Select WiredNetwork or the name of your wireless network, if you are prompted to do so.
    4. elect Configure Network.
    5. On the Basic Settings tab, select IP Settings.
    6. Select Manual.
    7. Select IP Address.
    8. Enter the unique IP address that you made up, and then select Done.
    9. Select Subnet Mask, enter your computer's subnet mask, and then select Done.
    10. Select Gateway, enter your computer's default gateway, and then select Done.
    11. Select Done.
    12. Press on your controller and then test your connection again.

Note If you receive a DNS error at this point, please see Solution 3 in the following article:
      978847  Error: Your DNS server can't resolve Xbox LIVE server names

If you receive the same IP error, try the next solution.

Solution 5 (modem connection only): Set an alternate MAC address

Some Internet service providers allow devices to access the Internet, based on the MAC address of the device. If your computer can access the Internet by using your modem but your Xbox 360 console cannot, your console might need to use the same MAC address as your computer.

1. On your computer, click Start, type cmd, and then press ENTER.

Note If you're using Windows XP, click Start, click Run, type cmd , and then press ENTER.
    2. At the command prompt, type ipconfig /all, and then press ENTER.
    3. Find your network connection (for example, "Local Area Connection" or "Wireless Network Connection"), and look for a line that begins with "Physical Address."
    4. Note the 12-digit physical address. This is your computer's MAC address.

Write down the 120digit physical address

Now, let's set this MAC address on your Xbox 360 console.
    5. On your console, go to My Xbox, and then select System Settings.
    6. Select Network Settings.
    7. Select WiredNetwork or the name of your wireless network, if you are prompted to do so.
    8. Select Configure Network.
    9. On the Additional Settings tab, select Advanced Settings.
    10. Select Alternate MAC Address.
    11. Enter your computer's MAC address, and then select Done.
    12. Select Done.
    13. Press the button on your controller, and then test your connection.

Solution 6 (modem connection only): Set your PPPoE settings

If you enter a user name and password (known as PPPoE settings) to connect to the Internet on your computer, you must enter this information on your Xbox 360 console. Here's how:

3. Select WiredNetwork or the name of your wireless network, if you are prompted to do so.
    5. On the Additional Settings tab, select PPPoE Settings.

Select PPPoE settings

6. Select User Name.
    7. Enter your user name, and then select Done.
    8. Now enter your password and service name.

Note If you don't know your user name, password, or service name, please contact your Internet service provider (ISP).
    9. Press the button on your controller, and then test your connection.

If you receive the same IP error, try the next solution.

Solution 7: Turn on DHCP

Your router or gateway can automatically give your console an IP address by using Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP).

Note If DHCP is not enabled on your router or gateway, the IP address for your Xbox 360 console will begin with 169 or appear as 0.0.0.0. You can see your console's IP settings, do the following:

2. Select NetworkSettings.
    4. Select ConfigureNetwork.
    5. On the BasicSettings tab, select IPSettings.

If your network hardware does not have DHCP turned on, your console IP address will be either 0.0.0.0 or will begin with 169.

TO TURN ON DHCP ON YOUR NETWORK HARDWARE

1. Sign in to your router's web-based configuration page to check the DHCP setting. Refer to your router's documentation for help turning on DHCP. 
    2. If you change the DHCP setting, restart your Xbox 360 console and network hardware.
    3. Test your Xbox LIVE connection. To do this, press the Guide button on your controller, go to Settings, and select System Settings. Select Network Settings, select Wired or your wireless network name (if you are prompted to do so), and then select Test Xbox LIVE Connection.

If turning on DHCP does not resolve the problem, please try the next solution.

Additional troubleshooting steps

If the previous solutions did not fix the problem, try the following:

SOLUTION 8 (WIRELESS ONLY): CHECK FOR MAC FILTERING

Wireless routers and gateways can prevent unauthorized access by using a feature that is known as MAC filtering. If MAC filtering is turned on for your router or your gateway, your Xbox 360 console won't be able to connect to Xbox LIVE. To connect, you'll have to obtain the MAC address of your console and add it your router/gateway settings.

To obtain the MAC address of your console

3. Select the name of your wireless network, if you are prompted to do so.
    5. On the Additional Settings tab, select Advanced Settings.

Write down the MAC address that is shown on the screen (for example: 0017FAD7CD80).

Write down the MAC address

Now, check your router or gateway to see whether MAC filtering is turned on. If MAC filtering is turned on, add your console's MAC address to the router or gateway setup page. Check your hardware documentation to determine how to do this.

If this did not resolve the problem, try the next solution.

SOLUTION 9 (WIRELESS ONLY): TRY A WIRED CONNECTION

Connect your Xbox 360 console to your router or to your gateway by using a network cable. Here's how to do this:

1. Plug one end of a network cable into the back of your console and the other end into a port on your router or on your gateway.
    2. To test your Xbox LIVE Connection on the console, press the Guide button on your controller, go to Settings, and select System Settings. SelectNetwork Settings, and then select Test Xbox LIVE Connection.

If this did not resolve the problem, try the next solution.

SOLUTION 10: TRY A DIRECT CONNECTION WITH THE MODEM

Try connecting your Xbox 360 console to your modem instead of connecting it to a router or to a gateway. Here's how to do this:

1. Plug one end of a network cable into the back of your console and the other end into your modem.
    2. If your ISP gave you a PPPoE user name and a password, you will need to enter this information on your console. For information about how to do this, please see solution 6 above.
    3. Make sure that your IP settings are set to automatic. To learn how to reset your IP settings to automatic, see solution 1.
    4. To test your Xbox LIVE Connection, press the Guide button on your controller, go to Settings, and select System Settings. Select Network Settings, and then select Test Xbox LIVE Connection.

This step helps determine the cause of the problem, but is not meant to be a permanent solution.

Try a different cable

In rare cases, the cable can be the source of the problem. Use a different network cable to connect your Xbox 360 console to your network hardware. If you don't have another network cable, temporarily use the network cable that your computer is using. 

If you can connect to Xbox LIVE when you use a wired connection, there is a problem with the configuration of your router or your gateway. Contact the manufacturer of your router or of your gateway for help. 

If you cannot connect to Xbox LIVE by using a modem connection, there might be a problem with your Internet connection. Contact your Internet service provider (ISP) for help. 

If you receive the same error message, please contact Xbox Support.

• Level   7
    • Suggested Answer

Hi,

Please try this:- www.tp-link.com/.../article

• Level   1

• Level   S

Hey there Oregon! Go ahead and make a new thread detailing your issue and any steps you've taken so far to fix it. That is how these forums work best as it lets us tailor our support to your specific issue.

Do you have an idea to improve Xbox for everyone? Share it with us at Xbox Feedback!

How to use the Forums!