This question is not answered

Xbox Live Downloads - Really slow!

• Level   1

Hey,

I've just bought the xBox 360 Slim 250GB and have it connected wirelessly to my network. It plays games fine but yet it takes an age to download anything from the marketplace.. which as you can imagine trying to download a 3GB game is a bit of a joke!.

I thought at first it was to do with me being NAT: Moderate so I added my Xbox IP to DMZ and now it is reading Nat:Open...

Unfortunately it hasn't solved the problem.. the downloads are still really slow.

Any ideas?

All Replies
    • Level   5

Can you do this speed test and post back your results

http://www.speedtest.net/

Opening the NAT only resolves connection issues with joining games and talking to other players, it doesn't improve your connection speed.

Got a question? Just ask. 
    • Level   2

In order for anyone to have any chance of being able to help you, we will need some more information from you.  Answering the following questions from the "start here" sticky on the main page would be a good start:

What Country/State/Province do you live in?
    Modem brand & model number:
    Router brand & model number:
    Network Connection Type: Wireless/Wired
    If Wireless, what type of encryption are you using?
    If Wireless, are you using a white or black external adapter, or an internal (Xbox 360S) adapter?
    Things you have tried:
    Is UPnP Enabled? Yes/no/Unknown
    Is NAT Type Open?
    Any Error Codes you encounter:
    What type of internet do you have? Cable/DSL/T1/3G?
    Who is your ISP(Internet Service Provider)?
    After you run "Test Xbox LIVE connection" and click on "More info", what is the exact message shown on screen?

Also, what is your internet speed package?

What else, if anything, do you have connected to your network?

Are you downloading or streaming anything else at the same time?

How far away from your router is your xbox?

Can you try connecting via ethernet cable for testing purposes?

Far to too often, writing good well is underrated!!!

• Level   1

What Country/State/Province do you live in? Staffordshire, United Kingdom

Router brand & model number: etec PT-3812

Network Connection Type: Wireless/

If Wireless, what type of encryption are you using? WPA2

If Wireless, are you using a white or black external adapter, or an internal (Xbox 360S) adapter? Internal

Things you have tried:

Is UPnP Enabled? Yes/no/Unknown Yes

Is NAT Type Open? Yes

Any Error Codes you encounter:  No

What type of internet do you have? Cable/DSL/T1/3G? DSL

Who is your ISP(Internet Service Provider)? Tiscali

After you run "Test Xbox LIVE connection" and click on "More info", what is the exact message shown on screen? A load of numbers with WXYZ.

Also, what is your internet speed package? 4MB download. I get this doing a speedtest.

What else, if anything, do you have connected to your network? Laptop

Are you downloading or streaming anything else at the same time? No

How far away from your router is your xbox? Its upstairs.

Can you try connecting via ethernet cable for testing purposes? Got no TV to connect through a cable.

• Level   2

Do you mean 4 Mbps?  Anyway, while that is certainly sufficient to play multiplayer, it will take a while to download a 3GB file.

As far as the ethernet cable, that would connect between your xbox and your router so you can compare any difference in download speeds.

Far to too often, writing good well is underrated!!!

• Level   1

Yes 4MBPs... normally downloads at 500KBps on the laptop but its not reaching those speeds on xBox downloads... more like 100KBps.

How will I know the difference if I don't have a TV to be able to see it through when connected to the ethernet cable? :S

• Level   7

How long does it take to download a 3Gb demo?

• Level   1

Well its barely moving.... I did about 16% in 2 hours!

• Level   7

Have you tried wired to see if it improves? I've say its either the wireless setup or your ISP to be honest, is it the same speeds at all times of day or just peak hours?

• Level   7

Have you tried wired to see if it improves? I've say its either the wireless setup or your ISP to be honest, is it the same speeds at all times of day or just peak hours?

• Level   1

I can't really try wired because my wire is upstairs and I have no TV up there... don't really want to carry a 50" upstairs to try it xD

Yeah it seems to be the same speed at all times of the day.

• Level   7

Well you could try different wireless channels on your router to see if that helps www.unofficialguidetolive.co.uk/.../114-troubleshooting-and-improving-wireless

But it might be just down to traffic shaping with your ISP, contention etc, some ISP shape on different content

• Level   1

J'ai rien de tout ça, connecté direct au router, c'est lent à en pleurer surtout en 2012, une vraie honte meme.

• Level   X

Hello iskander1971! We would love to help, but we do need you to detail your issue in a new thread so that we can best assist you. Thanks! :)

Emily - Program Manager @ Xbox, Xbox One Preview Program