This question has suggested answer(s)

My console keeps freezing/disconnecting.

• Level   1

Whenever i play games on my console. The whole system either freezes or disconnects me. When it does, the only way to fix it is to reboot my console.

I've tried many things: Clearing cache, factory settings, delete/download profile, delete/install updates, delete corrupted files and more. Nothing seems to help. This gets very frustrating how i can't play games I've paid for and i can't use a gold subscription I've also paid for. This problem is starting to get on my nerves and Microsoft hasn't done anything to fix it.

Many people are getting similar problems. I've red many articles. And the only option is apparently port forwarding. But to be honest, I think i found another option. It's called Sony play station 3. The only thing holding me back from buying a Ps3 is the fact that i put such a large sum of money into this console.

Please if anyone knows a fix for this problem. Inform me.

All Replies
    • Level   2

Port forwarding has nothing to do with games freezing, only with lag and NAT

A reason your xbox could be freezing up and disconnecting could be that it is in a not properly ventilated area (the sides or back don't have enough ventilation causing it to overheat)

BAD                                           GOOD

Another reason could be scratches on the disc, you could try and install the game to your harddrive so it doesn't have to be read by the disc drive anymore only to verify that you have the game. It then runs of your harddrive giving scratches no change

• Level   1

My console is in the open and none of my discs have scratches.

And i may of forgotten to mention that the problem occurs with all my games.

• Level   2

Have you made sure that power supply of the xbox has sufficient ventilation as well ?

(The big gray block)

That uses ventilation as well and if that gets to hot it also freezes up the xbox

• Level   1

*Facepalm* I was never told that. I have the gray block behind my dresser in a huge pile with my other wires. xD

• Level   1

I put the block up beside my console. But there's no change, my console lost connection to live right away. :( HELP!

• Level   1

keep it in a well ventilated area otherwise your console might suffer from red ring of death!

• Level   1

Trust me. It's fine. My console is on my dresser along with my television, nothing else. I don't see why it would suffer from lack of ventilation. Any other solutions for freezing/disconnections? (See first post for things I've tried.)

• Level   S
    • Suggested Answer

Greetings, Dashed! Sorry to hear about your situation. To get started, let's have you take a look at this sticky and post your replies to the section in bold here: forums.xbox.com/.../155724.aspx.

For additional information, can you provide further details about your exact situation? I'm particularly interested to know whether your console freezes or just gets disconnected from LIVE and what error message or messages you are seeing. If I understand correctly it seems like this only happens when you play games. Is that correct?Does it happen when you launch a game, or does it occur during gameplay? Have you noticed this with certain titles and if so can you please let us know which ones?

Thanks, Dashed! Standing by for your response.

How to use the forums
    Retired Support Agent - No PMs please!

• Level   1

When i play mw2/3 my console usually kicks me from xbox live saying ''server disconnected'' and some times freezes completely. (While playing the game) Although lately the problem started occurring with all games.  And just recently i got disconnected at the dashboard...

Games i own: Mw3, mw2, portal 2, halo reach, minecraft. Not the largest collection of games, but it keeps me occupied. (or at least it did. :( )

• Level   5

Hey there DashedSeven! Could you provide with the information from the link Mister Darcy posted and post back here in full detail. Thanks!

Unit A ₪ 

• Level   1

Information: -Ontario

-Cisco DPC3825

-Wireless adapter (gray?)

-NAT is fine.

-Mostly server disconnections...

-Rodgers

I have no connection issues or ventilation. What could be the issue?

• Level   5

Hey there Dashed!
    Thanks for the reply. Are you able to post back the values after you run "Test Xbox LIVE Connection" (press "Y" after you run the test). I suggest you take a look at Shad0wmanUK's, "The unofficial guide to LIVE", how to troubleshoot and improve your wireless connection. Have you tried to reset your network equipment? 

Solution 1
    Make sure your modem/router firmware is up to date (visist manufactures website and see if there is a later firmware version available then your current one). Make sure to reset modem/router to any firmware update you apply. Access your Cisco modem/router administration page and make sure UPnP is enabled (leave Port Forwarding or DMZ disable as long as UPnP is enabled). Go to Security and Firewall and untick the option "Block Anonymous Internet Requets".

Solution 2
    Set up Port Forwarding/Port Range Forwarding. Here's how! Important If you set up Port Forwarding/Port Range Forwarding, make sure to disable UPnP and DMZ.

Post back and let us know how it goes.

Unit A ₪ 

• Level   1

Gonna try out solution 1. I'll keep you posted with the results.

• Level   S

Thanks, Dashed! Keep us posted. In addition, if you could post back your responses to the rest of the sticky I linked earlier that would be great:

After you run "Test Xbox LIVE connection" press “Y” for "More Info”. In the pop-up that appears, what are the following values, if shown? (If a value below does not appear for you, just leave it blank.)

W:

X:

Y:

Z:

ID:

L:

Q:

T:

D:

S:

C:

Thanks very much! Standing by. :)

How to use the forums
    Retired Support Agent - No PMs please!

• Level   1
    • Suggested Answer

Also, even if the system is well ventilated you may have dust inside, which causes the system to overheat. Try getting it out with some compressed air and see if that helps.