This question has suggested answer(s)

XBOX 360 wont connect to my wireless anymore

• Level   1

So I have been using xbox live all summer with no issues, i recently house-sat for someone and used a different wireless internet, still worked fine, then when i came back to my house, it tells me the password is wrong when its the same password i have been using all summer.. the only error message i get is "setting not valid" and underneath it it tells me "the given WEP key is not valid"

its not the router because im currently on the wireless on my laptop and ipad, the adapter has worked fine up until today, and the xbox also works fine

starting to get frustrated...

All Replies
    • Level   2
    • Suggested Answer

Here is a link you can use to troubleshoot your connection problem

support.xbox.com/.../connection-issues

• Level   1
    • Suggested Answer

Hi BFrankinator;

This is not an easy one to resolve so please bare with me. 

Solution 1: Reset the wireless network settings

Reset the console’s network settings to the defaults. Here’s how:

1. Unplug the Xbox 360 Wireless Networking Adapter from the USB port if you are using one.
    2. Press the Guide button on your controller, go to Settings, and then select System Settings.
    3. Select Network Settings.
    4. Select your wireless network name, if you are prompted to do so.
    5. Select Configure Network.
    6. On the Additional Settings tab, select Restore to Factory Defaults. When you are prompted, select Yes, restore factory defaults.

Note This resets ONLY the network settings and not other console settings.
    7. Turn off your console.
    8. If you are using an Xbox 360 Wireless Networking Adapter, plug it back into the USB port.
    9. Turn on your console.

You should receive a message about configuring your wireless adapter. Follow the on-screen instructions to configure your wireless settings.

If you do not receive a message, try the next solution.

Solution 2: Configure your wireless settings

1. Press the Guide button on your controller, go to Settings, and then select System Settings.
    2. Select Network Settings.
    3. Select your wireless network name, if you are prompted to do so. Enter your wireless password, if you are prompted for one, and then select Test Xbox Live Connection. If you still cannot connect, try the next solution.
    4. Select Configure Network.
    5. On the Basic Settings tab, select Wireless Mode.
    6. Select Scan for Networks.
    7. Select your wireless network name. Select Scan for Networks.
    8. Enter your wireless network password, and then select Done.
    9. Press B on your controller, and then select Test Xbox LIVE Connection.

If you still can’t connect to your wireless network, please try the next solution.

Solution 3: Restart your network equipment

1. Turn off or unplug your Xbox 360 console and network hardware (for example, your modem and router).
    2. Wait 30 seconds.
    3. Turn on your modem, and wait for it to come back online (approximately one minute).
    4. Turn on the next piece of hardware (for example, a router), and wait another minute.
    5. Repeat step 4 for every additional piece of network hardware.
    6. Press the Guide button on your controller, go to Settings, and then select System Settings.
    7. Select Network Settings.
    8. Select your wireless network name, if you are prompted to do so.
    9. Select Test Xbox LIVE Connection.

If you still can’t connect to your wireless network, try the next solution.

Solution 3: Try a wired connection

Connect your Xbox 360 console to your router or gateway by using a network cable. Here’s how:

1. Plug one end of a network cable into the back of your console and the other end into a port on your router or gateway.
    2. Test your Xbox LIVE Connection. To do this, press the Guide button on your controller, go to Settings, and then select System Settings. Select Network Settings, select Wired Network (if you are prompted to do so), and then select Test Xbox LIVE Connection.
    please let me know how you go with this.

• Level   1

That Rick Guy I'm having the same problem but my just won't connect its not the password is wrong. It just one  day wouldnt let me connect and I went to xbox.com and they told what you told me in step one but my xbox has a built in adapter witch i know is not as good as the other ones but i sold mine with my old xbox and dearly miss it but I moved my xbox to a different location in the house to get closer to the router in my house so when i try to do the step one I cant get to go to the additional settings tab it wont let me select it.

• Level   7

Hi, the original post is a year old. Could I ask that you create your own post with your own specific details/errors so that people can help