This question is answered

Windows 8 connecting to Xbox Live through laptop

• Level   1

I am having a big problem of connecting my xbox live account through my laptop. i use to be able to before i updated my laptop to windows 8 but now i wont connect. I am very frustrated and perplexed because the day before i had windows 7 and it worked but now that i have windows 8 it wont connect to xbox live . I need help Please !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Verified Answer
    • Level   1
    • Verified Answer
    • Verified by

Hi everyone, i dont know if anyone has thought of this, but i have also been struggling with connecting to xbox live using my updated version of widows 8. I tried everything and it finally came to me. All you have to do for windows 8 is bridge the connection of the wifi and Ethernet in order for it to work. Now this is how i did it.

1. turn off your wifi

2. plug in Ethernet cord from router to your laptop, then restart your laptop.

3. right click on the network connection, and choose ope network connection and sharing. then go to change adapter setting. you will notice both ethernet and wifi are enable.

4. go to wireless one and make sure all sharing is off.

5. now highlight both ethernet and wireless and right click to get properties, then you will see the bridge.

it should bridge and you should be able to connect to xbox live using your windows 8 pc.

All Replies
    • Level   S
    • Suggested Answer

Hey there, kgravens. Very sorry to hear you're having some trouble connecting to Xbox LIVE. To start, can you please provide me with your responses to the questions in bold at the bottom of this page: forums.xbox.com/.../155724.aspx ? This will provide me with some extra context behind your situation so I can determine the best troubleshooting steps to offer you going forward. Thanks in advance!

How to use the forums
    Retired Support Agent - No PMs please!

• Level   1

I'm having a similar problem. Previously with Windows7, I was able to plug my xbox to my laptop via ethernet cable and essentially have my laptop act as a wifi adapter and connect to my network. Under Windows8, I can't find the settings to allow me to do so.

For what it's worth, my details.

What Country/State/Province do you live in?

Abilene, TX, USA

Modem brand & model number:

Motorola SB6120

Router brand & model number:

Netgear N200

If Wireless, are you using a white or black external adapter, or an internal (Xbox 360S) adapter?

Is UPnP Enabled? Yes

Do you have a NAT error? No

Who is your ISP(Internet Service Provider)? Suddenlink

• Level   X
    • Suggested Answer

Hi LeSochBAT! Can you let us know what mode you were using to connect your console via your laptop? Were you bridging the connection, or using Internet Connection Sharing (ICS)? If the latter, there's a way to do this via Windows 8, but getting to the right screen is a bit different. :)

Our current support article on ICS lists steps for Windows 7. It is largely the same for Windows 8, except for steps 1 and 2, which should now be: 

1. From the desktop, press Windows Key+R to open the "Run" dialog box.
    2. Type in ncpa.cpl and press Enter.

From here, you can resume the previous article at step 3 to complete this connection. Let us know if this helps! :) 

Emily - Program Manager @ Xbox, Xbox One Preview Program

• Level   1

This does nothing for me, sadly. It's been pretty infuriating for me to try and get this going. I have my wifi set to a shared connection, but I still can't connect.

• Level   X

Aww, bummer! I can understand the frustration. Can you provide some of the diagnostic info the console displays at the end of the connection test? You'll want to press "Y" for more info when it completes. That will help us determine what the console says the issue is. :) Also - are you able to try connecting another wi-fi device to the shared connection? Thanks!

Emily - Program Manager @ Xbox, Xbox One Preview Program

• Level   1

I am having exactly the same issue with windows 8 and ICS

• Level   1

W:0000 - 000B

X: 4000 - 1001

Y: 0000 - 0000

Z: 0000 - 0000

ID 0001 - 0006

L: 0015 - 10F1

Q: 8007 - 0435

T: wired

A: 169.254.29.172/255.225.0.0

G: 0.0.0.0

D: 0.0.0.0/0.0.0.0

• Level   1

Alright, with some tweaking, I've managed a little progress. Before, during the test, It couldn't even connect to the network. I tried this little tip, www.ms4u.info/.../enable-internet-connection-sharing-in.html, and managed to connect to the network, but not the internet.

My status report is as shown.

W:0000 - 000B

X: 0600 - F001

Y: 0000 - 0000

Z: 0000 - 0000

ID 0004 - 0001

L: 0015 - 10F1

Q: 8007 - 0435

T: wired

A: 192.168.137.180/255.225.255.0

G: 192.168.137.1

D: 192.168.137.1/0.0.0.0

• Level   S

Hey there LeSochBAT! Your connection test indicates that Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP) isn't functioning as we'd hope. As a test, can I have you try wiring directly to your modem to see if the issue persists? Let us know!

• Level   1

I am having the same problem

• Level   1

can you help me out? running windows 8 and i put the wifi into sharing and what am i suppose to do after that? the xbox gives me a security key but where do i put that?

• Level   1
    • Verified Answer
    • Verified by

Hi everyone, i dont know if anyone has thought of this, but i have also been struggling with connecting to xbox live using my updated version of widows 8. I tried everything and it finally came to me. All you have to do for windows 8 is bridge the connection of the wifi and Ethernet in order for it to work. Now this is how i did it.

1. turn off your wifi

2. plug in Ethernet cord from router to your laptop, then restart your laptop.

3. right click on the network connection, and choose ope network connection and sharing. then go to change adapter setting. you will notice both ethernet and wifi are enable.

4. go to wireless one and make sure all sharing is off.

5. now highlight both ethernet and wireless and right click to get properties, then you will see the bridge.

it should bridge and you should be able to connect to xbox live using your windows 8 pc.

• Level   1

I figured it out. You need to turn on media streaming in advanced sharing settings in the control panel. Then if you turn sharing on it will work. At least it did for me.

• Level   1
    • Suggested Answer

pphphph

• Level   1

you cant bridge, it just disconnects midgame every time. just open up sharing on your wifi connection that connexcts to the internet and thats it. boom. although it is a it jumpy. pissing me off to be fair.