This question has suggested answer(s)

How to test a internet connection for speed.. on my xbox 360?

• Level   1

Hello everyone..

I came here today because i wanted to test how fast my internet connection is on my xbox and how fast it will after i get FibreOp hooked up to my house.

With my computer, i know how to do this. go into Network and Sharing center.. click my connection.. and boom it says 48.0 mbps

But on my xbox console. I dont see anyway to view my speed in network settings.

Is there anyway i can view my speed on my xbox.. or view my xboxs speed thru my computer somehow..

Thanks! 

All Replies
    • Level   2
    • Suggested Answer

Not in front of my console but I think you can go from the dashboard, scroll into Settings, select Network Setup, click "Connect", and then when you are connected you hit the "Y" button and get a read on your speeds.

• Level   2

Hello there,

First of all, there isn't a way to test your internet speed via the Xbox directly.   I haven't tried this, but you may want to open Internet Explorer on your Xbox and navigate to www.speedtest.net

I haven't tried this myself so I don't know for sure if it will work.

Regarding your computer, I don't think you are seeing your true internet speed.  It sounds like you are seeing the connection speed of the network interface card in your computer.

To see your real internet speed, you need to download data over a period of time and measure it.  The easiest way is to use a free website such was www.speedtest.net.  Try that site from your PC.

BTW, if the PC and the Xbox are on the same router/network at your home, they both are getting the same internet speed.

• Level   5

Hey there Jorkest!
    It is not possible to perform a proper speedtest using the IE app installed on your console. This is due to fact that it cannot process that much data. You have to remember the differences when performing a speedtest through your computer or through your console. Your console is connected to Microsoft servers. So the performance test has to go through these servers first. These servers has restrictions related to some of the services like the IE application. Therefore, you are not able to process that much data at the same time, since the algorithm of the IE application is not built for it. It is solely built for simple browsing. You can think of this as a light version of IE.

Unit A ₪ 

• Level   1

@CessnaDriver

thanks for the information. you are right, i wasnt looking at the true speed. so i went to speedtest and got this..

http://www.speedtest.net/result/2353911672.png

DL: 39.72 Mb/s / UL: 4.92 ms

``BTW, if the PC and the Xbox are on the same router/network at your home, they both are getting the same internet speed.``

well, if thats the case, then my xbox has aprox. 39.00 Mbs, which is DECENT! but may i ask, how do you know that this is true.. i dont mean to second guess you, but are you sure theres nothing going on with my xbox that would effect the speed of connection

@Taidara 

"It is not possible to perform a proper speedtest using the IE app installed on your console."

i knew something like that had to be going on, because when i did use a speed test program like speedtest.net (this one requires flash - dont got so i used another service)  i got a very low rating of something like 2mbps. so thanks a lot for telling me that.

I would like to add that my xbox does seem to get matches faster now, in halo.. cod.. etc. so thats a good sign that the fibre op is paying off.

THANKS GUYS 

• Level   1

Try [Mod Edited] it works pretty well

PARENTS.. I need you to stop LYING TO your CHILDREN and TELLing THEM that MONSTERS ARE not REAL...

¥XBOX WYATT FAMILY¥

• Level   1

I had 15mbps download ever since i had my xbox. a few weeks ago i upgraded to 40mbps and my computer is reflecting that but when i download a game it takes the same amount of time it did before? so if i get same speeds on pc and xbox how come thats happening?