This question is answered

Regular SATA HDD in Xbox 360 Slim? Directed here from phone support...

• Level   1

Alright, so I was just on with phone support and they directed me to post this question here. In the ToU it states that the device must be authorized and no modifications to the code can be done. Obviously.

When it starts hardware though it doesn't specify what it considers hardware. The phone rep says it goes one of two ways, either everything has to be Microsoft authorized from headsets and everything else, or just the Xbox 360 itself and the coding within it can't be tampered with.

If no modifications are being done to any of the proprietary hardware, is it still against Live ToU to use a standard SATA harddrive?

Verified Answer
  • No discussion here: only MS brand HDDs are allowed in the console or it breaks the TOU. End of story.

All Replies
    • Level   5
    • Suggested Answer

yes, it even applies to hard drives as you would have to modify it to connect to the system properly which is what is against the TOS, sorry.

XBOX 360, kicking other consoles backsides since 2005.

• Level   1

There isn't modification to the drive required for the slim model though since it's just a Sata connection? Atleast that's what I though and what Xbox live phone support was saying as well.

• Level   5

yes it is a sata connection but the casing that the drive is encased in, if you have say a encasing that has say a 500 gig drive in it MS can tell if you have anything other than the 4 gig internal flash and or the 250 gig internal and they could possibly nail you for console tampering which could lead to your console being banned.  on top of that only a MS brand hard drive will have the software that allows for the playing of the old gen xbox games.

• Level   1

Alright, well since it's a sata connection then a regular HDD would connect in the S model without an encasing or not. Which is why the phone support sent me to here to get a response from an agent on here. I don't have any old gen games anyway, so if that's the only drawback and a rep says its fine, then I'll go with the larger size over a 250gb HDD for $150.

• Level   5
    • Suggested Answer

yeah but as I said MS can tell if you have ANYTHING other than a 250 gig drive in that 360.  meaning if you put a bigger drive in there they can detect it, tell it is NOT the authorized drive and can either make it so you cannot use that drive anymore like they did with 3rd party memory units on the older gen 360 or worst case scenario, ban your system for console tampering.  remember support on the phone does not always give the correct answers there have been many cases where they gave the wrong info and some of the MS employees that DO post on the forum (they would have a letter instead of a number next the the word LEVEL) even said so.

• No discussion here: only MS brand HDDs are allowed in the console or it breaks the TOU. End of story.