This question has suggested answer(s)

Recover Gamertag error when trying to log into XBOX Live

• Level   1

When I try to join Xbox Live an error message pops up that says"This Windows live ID is associated with a different gamertag. Enter another Windows Live ID or password."

I am trying to loggin in with my windows live id i created but the log in will not work. I have tried making 3 fresh new windows live ids but the message still comes up. My brother was able to log on to xbox live with his console just fine. I have been having this problem for over a year in a half. i have tried emailing Microsoft support but the people just reply with delete your account and other usless info. I am not deleting 25,000 plus gaming score and 1000s of hours of play. Is my xbox 360 corrupt or defected.I dont know what the log in for my account could be if no newly created windows live id works. also ia have never been able to log in. Thanks.

All Replies
    • Level   7
    • Suggested Answer

Please take a look at this support documentation: support.microsoft.com/.../906931, if that doesn't help you please try and take a look at this > answers.yahoo.com/.../index. Let us know if any of those suggestions helped you out.

• Level   1

I have tried the solution of creating a new windows live id and trying to use that and changing my gamertag name to the randomly generated name Xbox gives you but it is the same message every time.

• Level   2

This error is stated due to the fact that you are attempting to use the "join xbox live" portion of an offline profile on a Windows Live ID that already has a gamertag. You need to recover your gamertag on the console. Easiet way to do it is to tap the center button on your controller to open the xbox guide, sign out of your profile with the X or the blue button on the controller, and select the "recover gamertag" option that appears from the guide menu when you sign out of the offline profile. Once you have selected this option, select "recover gamertag" again and select yes to the next prompt.

After that, follow all of the on-screen instructions and as long as you have inputted a valid Windows Live ID and password, you will be able to have your gamertag stored on that xbox console.

• Level   S

Gnome: Are you trying to create a whole new GT/profile, or are you trying to change the WLID of a current GT? Can you exactly outline what steps you are taking on the console to do this? Thanks.

• Level   1

i tried logging in with what I thought was the windows live id i created. when the error popped up i have tried creating a few new windows live ids thinking it might let me login but to no avail. i am not trying to create new gt. surprised have to be to start of from scrach achievements and all.microsoft does not have an easy way to fix it since it seems like the outcome would

• Level   2

You may have to reset your password. I would advise doing so at  http://accounts.live.com as all you need to know for a password reset is your windows live ID of your original account, the possible answer to your secret question, and/or knowing if the contact e-mail on that account is still active.

• Level   1

Soul5kull

I tried changing my password but the same stupid error message pops up again. Is this gamertag dead and I have to just get offline achievements on another account.

• Level   1

accidentaly log in with one of the other ids

• Level   1

Any reason why Microsoft makes things this difficult. Is it some twisted punishment for getting so many achievments offline with Microsoft making no money off any Xbox Live account since you played offline

• Level   2

When you create a Windows Live ID, it is best to memorize the Live ID and password, along with memorizing your secruity question and password, does come in handy when such situations happen. The reason why I state this is because it does allow somebody to get their account back without having too much issues.

• Level   1

So problem is unfixable?

• Level   2

Only if you have forgotten your Live ID and any verifiable info to give to any member of phone support, then yes.

• Level   1

i have a similar problem to this except i get the except same message come up but my windows live id and password are both correct as i can log onto pc games with them do i somehow need to tell my xbox to use the say imformation?

• Level   5

You cannot combine accounts.  Let's get that out.  The Op will just have to call support and go thru the account verification process.  You can get either an email or do it over the phone.  I would get an email, because then you can take time to research your answers.  If you can't answer them to MS' satisfaction, then your account is gone.  If you can, MS will send you a password-reset link to any email you say and then you can recover the original account.  It might take awhile...I was able to fill out several email forms over a six month period before I was able to correctly answer the form!