This question is not answered

XBOX doesn't recognize Ethernet Cable!!!

• Level   1

All of the sudden, I notice one morning that my xbox won't connect to XBOX LIVE.  When I try, it states that i need to test my connection, Which i immediately do.  The problem is that it Does NOT recognize that i have an Ethernet cable plugged in.  I know this because it states that i MUST 1st have  an ethernet cable plugged in - And it already is!!! 

I think that my home was hit by lightning a few days ago.   I woke up to my DVD recorder in my Den (where my XBOX is) being completely unresponsive, dead, just will NOT turn on.  Same for my TV upstairs and Direct TV in the living room.  Everything else is OK with my XBOX, except for the fact that it won't recognize my ethernet cable.

Any suggestions?  Who can I call to see what repairs would co$t?

Thanks

WMII

All Replies
    • Level   2

It sounds like the ethernet port likely got fried.  You can call support Toll free: (800) 4MY-XBOX or (800) 469-9269 and see if they know how much it will cost to repair.

Here is the contact page if you would rather use email or twitter: http://support.xbox.com/en-us/contact-us

Good Luck

Far to too often, writing good well is underrated!!!

• Level   5

The 360's networking hardware is highly susceptible to failure during a lightning strike.  It is highly recommended that you disconnect all of your equipment from the mains, I guess you've learnt your lesson now though.

Repair costs depend on your region.  I'm going to guess that you're from the United States?

The cost of an out-of-warranty console repair varies:

Got a question? Just ask. 
    • Level   7

Hi,

I'm sorry to say that lightening + not detecting an ethernet cable means your Xbox network card is broken, you will have to contact microsoft for a repair:- support.xbox.com/.../repair-process

Please do not attempt to have it repaired by anyone other than Microsoft as third party repairs result in the xbox being banned from live.

• Level   1

Anyone know how much such a repair would likely cost?  Guesstimations??  

I called XBOX earlier, in which they said the "normal" rate for repairs in general was $119.    How much does a basic XBOX cost?  Someone said about $130.00 .  If that's the case, couldn't I just buy one and pop my hard drive on?  

Lastly, I wonder if I could just get a wirelss adapter?  Or, would that work if the ethernet port doesn't work?  I haven't the slightest!

• Level   2

FallManticore

Anyone know how much such a repair would likely cost?  Guesstimations??  

I called XBOX earlier, in which they said the "normal" rate for repairs in general was $119.    How much does a basic XBOX cost?  Someone said about $130.00 .  If that's the case, couldn't I just buy one and pop my hard drive on?  

Lastly, I wonder if I could just get a wirelss adapter?  Or, would that work if the ethernet port doesn't work?  I haven't the slightest!

Obsessive Power posted the following above:

Obsessive Power

The cost of an out-of-warranty console repair varies:

A new Xbox 360 Slim with a 250GB Hard Drive retails for $299.99.  The 4GB (no Hard Drive included) retails for 199.99. http://www.xbox.com/en-US/Xbox360/Consoles?xr=shellnav

You won't be able to use an original style Xbox 360 hard drive with the new slim model because the design is different.  If you do decide to buy a new console, you can transfer your content between hard drives. 

The networking adapter retails for $79.99, but you would want to make sure that your usb port isn't affected.  For almost half the cost of a new Xbox, I personally wouldn't risk it.

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/Xbox360/Accessories/CablesNetworking/Home

• Level   1

So, Based on what you are saying, Could I snap my hard drive on the 4gb XBOX?  Wouldn't it become exactly like the one I have now for $199?   Mine is a 60gb XBOX360.  

If I buy a brand new one, how do i transfer the data?

sorry for all the questions, just trying to figure all this out.

Thanks.

• Level   2

FallManticore

So, Based on what you are saying, Could I snap my hard drive on the 4gb XBOX?  Wouldn't it become exactly like the one I have now for $199?   Mine is a 60gb XBOX360.  

If I buy a brand new one, how do i transfer the data?

sorry for all the questions, just trying to figure all this out.

Thanks.

I apologize that I wasn't more clear.  No, you can't put your 60GB hard drive on the new 4GB slim.  The 4GB and 250GB slim models are the same design.  The 4GB is an economy model with flash memory - no spinning hard drive.  Not everyone requires, or can afford, the 250GB package.  The new slim model has the hard drive stored internally, instead of externally like the original style Xbox.

You can get a data transfer cable to move all your data.  It would be another $20, for essentially a one time use as you cannot use it to transfer between two Xbox slim hard drives.

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/Xbox360/Accessories/CablesNetworking/Xbox360HardDriveTransferCable

No worries about the questions, it's good to make an informed decision.

You could also transfer files using a usb thumb drive.  You are permitted to use 2 up to 16GB each with a console.  Although, some content may not allow you to move or copy it using this method.

• Level   1

Actually you can swap hard drives onto the 4GB slim 360. forums.xbox.com/.../381925.aspx

Hope it helps.

• Level   1

your screwed man just get wireless adapter. only other option send it to xbox to fix.

• Level   1

Had the same issue, but was able to angle the plug in the port to get a connection! Was about to buy a new 360 before I tried that lol