This question has suggested answer(s)

License Migration

• Level   1

Finally replaced my forever-dying 20GB console today with a new 250GB slim.

Copied all the data to a USB drive, put on new console. Looked up the DRM support page, read it as you go to license migration on old console to apply it to the new console. Went through it, clicked ok, told me that migration has been complete, didn't understand where the hell it went, thought it would give me a license file or something.

Connect new console, fire her up, move the data over, go to migrate and its telling me I need to wait like four months. Is there anything I can do other than buying all the content again? Which is not going to happen.

The page really needs to be clearer IMO.

Thanks.

All Replies
    • Level   5

MooinCow
    Looked up the DRM support page, read it as you go to license migration on old console to apply it to the new console.

You read it incorrectly: you're supposed to trigger the License Migration on the new console, not the old one. You can try calling Support to see if they'll help you by doing a transfer in advance of the four month waiting period. If not, it shouldn't be too bad to wait because you can still use all your content while you're connected to Xbox Live in the meantime.

The inconvenience of that wait would be if your Internet connection is unreliable, or if you have more than one user who is trying to share your purchases via the console licenses (family members, roommates). If more than one profile has purchases, though, they can each do the License Transfer, and in fact should do so because the Transfer is done on a gamertag basis. 

• Level   1
    Yeah I know I read it wrong, I'd just like it if it was a little clearer to say on your NEW console, or the console you want the account migration done, to do that. It was my bad. But let's see if I'm reading what you're saying right... It doesn't matter, along as I'm connected to live, all my purchases will work fine...? Cheers for your help
    • Level   5

MooinCow
    But let's see if I'm reading what you're saying right... It doesn't matter, along as I'm connected to live, all my purchases will work fine...? Cheers for your help

That's correct: your content gets one license for your profile to use on any console while connected to Xbox Live, and a "console license" so the content can be used by anybody on the console with the license (the first one you download it on, or one that you transfer your licenses to) whether that console is online or offline. It's definitely recommended to update the licenses when you can because you might lose your Internet for a while or want others to be able to use DLC or Arcade games without your profile logged in, but if those aren't a factor for you right now you might not be too inconvenienced by waiting.

But you might find that Support will do the transfer for you early (or allow you to do one; I don't know how the exceptions work) if you call them, because you did buy a new console and just goofed.

• Level   X
    • Suggested Answer

Hey there OP - give our Phone Support team a call, they should be able to help. :) support.xbox.com/contact-us