This question is answered

How do I remove the parental account from my xbox live account? (I'm 18, turning 19 in Sep.)

• Level   3

I first got an xbox live account at around 2007/2008 and I was 14 that time and I would need the approval of my parents to have public chats during games or being able to receive messages and get into parties with my friends.  Now that I'm 18, I saw that I still needed approval of my parents email to access some things.  How can i remove this now? since I am now of age to do things like download rated M demos or buy games that are rated M.  Any help would be appreciated. 

Verified Answer
    • Level   4
    • Verified Answer
    • Verified by

Xbox LIVE determines whether an account is a child account or an adult account based on the age of the account owner. Account owners who are younger than 18 are given child accounts in the United States. The legal adult age varies by country and region (for example, the adult age in Korea is 20).

Child accounts are tied to an adult's Windows Live ID. The adult account can control Family Settings and restrict some features of Xbox LIVE.

After you reach the age of adulthood (which varies by country and region), you can promote a child account to an adult account. This promotion removes the Family Settings and Xbox LIVE restrictions.

To promote a child account to an adult account

Sign in to Xbox LIVE by using the account that you want to change.

Go to Settings, and then select Account.

Select Promote Child Account.

Note This option is available only if the date of birth for the account indicates that you have reached the age of adulthood (18 in the United States). The legal adult age varies by country and region. The age of an account owner is calculated by using the date of birth provided when the account was created. This date cannot be changed. If you entered an incorrect date of birth when you created the account, your only option is to create a new account using the correct date of birth.

Follow the on-screen instructions to promote the account.

Note If you want to control the console itself - for example, to limit the amount of time the console can be used on a daily basis, or limit the content types that can be viewed on the console - please see Xbox 360 console parental controls. To learn about ESRB Ratings and safe gaming tips, please see GetGameSmart.com.

XBox GamerChix PMS Clan XBox Ambassador

All Replies
    • Level   4
    • Verified Answer
    • Verified by

Xbox LIVE determines whether an account is a child account or an adult account based on the age of the account owner. Account owners who are younger than 18 are given child accounts in the United States. The legal adult age varies by country and region (for example, the adult age in Korea is 20).

Child accounts are tied to an adult's Windows Live ID. The adult account can control Family Settings and restrict some features of Xbox LIVE.

After you reach the age of adulthood (which varies by country and region), you can promote a child account to an adult account. This promotion removes the Family Settings and Xbox LIVE restrictions.

To promote a child account to an adult account

Sign in to Xbox LIVE by using the account that you want to change.

Go to Settings, and then select Account.

Select Promote Child Account.

Note This option is available only if the date of birth for the account indicates that you have reached the age of adulthood (18 in the United States). The legal adult age varies by country and region. The age of an account owner is calculated by using the date of birth provided when the account was created. This date cannot be changed. If you entered an incorrect date of birth when you created the account, your only option is to create a new account using the correct date of birth.

Follow the on-screen instructions to promote the account.

Note If you want to control the console itself - for example, to limit the amount of time the console can be used on a daily basis, or limit the content types that can be viewed on the console - please see Xbox 360 console parental controls. To learn about ESRB Ratings and safe gaming tips, please see GetGameSmart.com.

XBox GamerChix PMS Clan XBox Ambassador

• Level   4

if your birthday has passed

goto account settings

then manage my account

click promote to adult account if available

if it is not there then you must wait for your birthdate to pass 18

there is no way to change the birthdate after account creation

*darn dejavu beat me to it *

• Level   V
    • Suggested Answer

Here is the actual support link for promoting your account to an adult

• Level   2

The sugestions here do not work as of the Xbox-live November update. Sinds you need to acept the new terms of use to change youre settings. AND to do that you still need the parental account.

So we are screwed until they change something.

• Level   S

Breejuh - As this thread is a big old can you please create a new one for us? Be sure to include a full description of your situation as well as the error code you are seeing and any troubleshooting steps you've tried so far. We'll be happy to assist you from there. Thanks very much!

How to use the forums
    Retired Support Agent - No PMs please!

• Level   2

Ok, wel here it goes.

Sinds the new xbox live update i cant sign in to xbox live. The reason is that if i want to accept the new  terms of use i have to have conformation from a parantal account My mom made back when i was still under 18. That account has been hacked ages ago and all atempts to restore the password have been denied.

Is there a way to skip the whole parental blockade sinds im 23 now? i also heard that you can get youre pasword reseted by sending stuff to microsoft such as your xbox -ID and last used prepaid code.

Please help me out. I realy dont want to abandon this account :(

• Level   2

I am also suffering from the same problem. Any solutions on how to get round the recent service agreement without having to log in as the parental?
    Additional I can't use the support options because you have to agree with the recent service agreement. 

• Level   S
    • Suggested Answer

Hey there WakingOne! Can I please have you create your own thread in this forum detailing your issue and letting us know any steps you've tried! You can create a new thread by following the link here: 

http://forums.xbox.com/xbox_forums/xbox_support/f/12/p/addpost.aspx