This question has suggested answer(s)

HDMI-DVI Adapter to Play on Monitor - How do I get sound?

• Level   1

I recently moved for college, and want to play my Xbox but dont feel like lugging my 50in plasma with me. So, I bought an HDMI - DVI cable that I can play my xbox on my pc monitor with the flick of a switch. However, I'm confused on how to get sound. The back of my monitor has a 3.5mm jack, but apart from VGA, DVI and AC that's all. I don't have a sound card in my PC, just what's on the motherboard.

So, how can I go about getting audio? (I also dont have speakers, just headphones straight into the PC)

All Replies
    • Level   2

Oh man... Well, the HDMI is what the audio goes through but DVI is incapable of transmitting the sound to the monitor because 1: you have no speakers on it  and or 2: DVI is only video. You can try this though: if you have the Xbox 360 HDMI with the optical port, you can try to get the cable to the optical port and connect it to the PC, though you might not have it. If you have a certain headset that requires the optical port, use it. Sorry to say this though, if you do not have any of the mentioned things, you are unfortunately outta luck :(.

[mod removed - please keep sig images to 125 pixels in height or less. Thanks!]Mai koffee mashiin is full of pawer!

• Level   1

Your best bet would be to consider the VGA cable for Xbox 360 it seems it would solve your issue.

Information available about here: 

Xbox Accessories 

Then you can simply connect the audio cables to small stereo or some of the more extensive headsets.

• Level   1

I play my Xbox 360 on my computer monitor.  I bought a HDMl-to-DVl Cable, As you did, but I ran into the same issue as you.  So, I bought a RCA Audio Cable Adapter for XBOX 360 Slim, this let me redirect the audio from the HDMI.   Only problem was that this cable doesn't have a 3.5mm cable, only Stereo RCA Audio (Red and white cables) and Optical.  So I bought a RCA audio to 3.5mm cable, this easily plugs into the device and gives you the 3.5mm audio jack your after.

Their is a known issue with most of the audio redirecting cables with switching your inputs on your Monitor, normally it will cause your Xbox 360 to restart.  It can be fixed in a few minutes if you know how to solder.  Sometimes you are lucky though and they soldered a ground on the cable, and you can switch without your Xbox restarting.  Other than that it works great.

• Level   6
    • Suggested Answer

Best bet is to buy an official VGA cable.

Second best is to try and find an HDMI AV kit with an official AV port adapter.

It seems the knock-off AV port adapters aren't properly soldered. Switching HDMI input on a display device should not cause the 360 to reboot if it's pinned properly. I have four HDMI AV kits (two from Elites, one official, one an elite kit broken out and sold on eBay). None of my official kits has every had a rebooting 360 issue.

• Level   1

How about if I broke apart the standard AV cables for the xbox, and plugged that in but left the visual cable out of the question, just using the audio cables with a 3.5mm to rca adapter to my pc, and then through an adapter to my turtle beaches. would that do the trick?

• Level   6

Die xMannequin
    How about if I broke apart the standard AV cables for the xbox,

No. The incorrect pinning of the AV port connection will still cause problems for the 360 should you switch HDMI inputs. HDCP's also disabled.

• Level   1

IceStorm III

Die xMannequin
    How about if I broke apart the standard AV cables for the xbox,

No. The incorrect pinning of the AV port connection will still cause problems for the 360 should you switch HDMI inputs. HDCP's also disabled.

HDCP isn't disabled on my Xbox when i use this setup, I'm watching Netflix on my Xbox at this very second.

• Level   6

DEsanitE
    HDCP isn't disabled on my Xbox when i use this setup, I'm watching Netflix on my Xbox at this very second.

If you just rip apart the cable housing to make things fit, it should be.

Keep in mind that ripping apart the cable housing is prohibited as per the the Terms of Use...