This question has suggested answer(s)

Xbox won't play Discs

• Level   1

I'm starting to think my Xbox is getting old and this is the reason why my xbox isn't working properly. I have an Xbox Elite for probably 3 years or so. 

The problems I'm currently having with my xbox is that it won't play any of my discs. I put in my Dragon Age: Origin's game (which scratched up everywhere), but it didn't play. I tried cleaning it and just about everything else to get it to play the game. It didn't play it. This is weird, because it played perfectly  yesterday. Next, I put in my Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 (which is in perfect condition, no dirt, dust, or scratches on it anywhere). I put this in and nothing. I tried the same methods I did with Dragon Age, but nothing. This is when I started to realized that something is wrong with the xbox itself. I turned off my xbox to think about it, but the xbox wouldn't fully turn off. The screen would turn off, but the xbox would still run. I didn't think much about it because I thought it was just running hot. I went to the other room to get some food and returned about 20 minutes later to find the xbox still running. I have to actually unplug the xbox to get it to stop running.

I have contemplated to take apart the xbox and clean the inside of it. I haven't done this yet, because I'm afraid I will break something or I will clean it improperly or won't be able to put it back together. Is their any other way I might be able to get it fixed other than sending it in to Microsoft? I really don't want to pay the money to get it fixed.

Any helpful feedback is much appreciated. 

All Replies
    • Level   2
    • Suggested Answer

You disc reading issue sounds like there's something wrong with the laser. It could be anything from outright broken to simply having some dust on the lens, but I don't recommend fixing it yourself as it will invalidate your warranty. One reason the xbox can take a long time to turn off is if it's still downloading something in the background. If it isn't then I agree 20 minutes is a long time for it to turn off. Does this happen on a regular basis? From here I suggest you phone support and see if it's worth booking it in for a repair. Is it still in warranty?

• Level   1

You probably answered the problem of it staying on because I started a Mass Effect 3 demo download so that is probably the reason it stays on, I'll test if it stops whenever it finishes downloading. And no if is off warranty. Is there anyway to clean the lens without having it sent in?

• Level   1

The not reading discs is a regular basis now.. I can usually get it to read the disc by either cleaning the disc or just opening and closing the drive. Now nothing is working.

• Level   2
    • Suggested Answer

Ah, that would explain it. If you want to confirm it there's a setting in...well, settings that controls if the console keeps downloading after you turn it off. Can't quite remember off the top of my head but it should be somewhere under the general console settings. There are a few kits you can buy which claim to clean your lens by putting a special disc covered with cleaning solution in the drive, but I wouldn't recommend using them as that could also be a warranty voider. [EDIT] Just realised you said you're out of warranty. Another reason you shouldn't try that is that it could just damage the drive even more. Microsoft also tends to ban people from live if they try to self-repair their console.

• Level   1

Alright. Thanks. I will just send in my xbox just to be on the safe side.

• Level   2
    • Suggested Answer

Clear your system cache

The Xbox system cache contains temporary files used by your Xbox 360 console. Clearing the system cache may fix your disc drive problem.

Previously downloaded game updates are removed, but don't worry. You'll be prompted to download these updates again before you play the games.

Clear your system cache

Press the Guide button on your controller.

Go to Settings and then select System Settings.

Select Storage or Memory.

Highlight any storage device and then press Y on your controller.

(It doesn't matter which storage device you select; the cache will be cleared for all storage devices.)

Select Clear System Cache.

Select Yes when prompted to confirm storage device maintenance.

Try to play the same disc

Did not work try:

Remove your hard drive

Does your Xbox 360 console have a hard drive? If it does, your disc-reading problem might be related to your hard drive. To see if this is the case, temporarily remove your hard drive.

Remove your hard drive

Turn off your console.

Locate the hard drive on the top of your console (or on the left side, depending on how your console is oriented).

Note Not all Xbox 360 consoles have a hard drive. If your console does not have a hard drive, click No at the bottom of this page.

Press the release button on the hard drive.

Lift the hard drive away from the console.

Turn on your console.

Play a game disc.

If your console can read discs when the hard drive is not attached, you need to order a replacement hard drive from the Xbox Online Service Center  (sign in with your Windows Live ID). Console registration is required to replace a hard drive under warranty (the hard drive warranty is the same as your console warranty).

Did not work try:

Remove memory units or USB flash drives

‚ÄčTurn off the Xbox 360 console.

Remove any memory units or USB flash drives attached to the console.

Turn on the console.

Play the game disc.

Happy to help ;)

• Level   1

Got the same issue with my old elite console i use as a back-up. I can get to play games but it takes 30 mins to 60 mins of opening and closing the tray until it will read the disc, sometimes it says play game but without a game pic and if i try to play it it says unrecognized disc. It is out of warrenty and i'm not paying Microsoft to get it fixed

• Level   X
    • Suggested Answer

Hey SigGod - have you run through the steps in our disc drive troubleshooting guide? support.xbox.com/.../disc-drive-solution

Emily - Program Manager @ Xbox, Xbox One Preview Program