This question is answered

Moved to new region. Can Microsoft replace my DVD drive?

• Level   1

I recently moved to the USA from South Africa. I know the region code on my XBox can't be changed (at least not legitimately). Can Microsoft put a new DVD drive in with the US region? Or am I screwed and will have to get a whole new XBox?

Verified Answer
  • Since South Africa, and most EuroAsia Countries use PAL, It would only be compatible with PAL Disc. NTSC disc would not work. However with the amount of games available on Demand. You could technically keep your system as is and download content directly from your dashboard or xbox.com with no issues. The benefit is games would load quicker, don't have to swap disc to play games. Of course harddrive real estate is an issue, but with a large Harddrive and Download History shouldn't be much of an issue. Your pre-owned games would obviously still work, and I think you can even find PAL games, for sale online and get it shipped. Also note all Games are NOT REGION LOCKED [as stated above] .. you could find region free games.

All Replies
    • Level   6
    • Suggested Answer

Windy Squirrel
    Can Microsoft put a new DVD drive in with the US region?

First, Microsoft does not offer a drive swap service.

Second, I think you mean South Africa region (PAL), since your console is from the USA.

Or am I screwed and will have to get a whole new XBox?
    You would need to buy a new 360 if you want to play PAL-region games or DVDs, though you can plug the HDD from your existing console into a new console of the same model type (original 360 to original 360, 360 S to 360 S).

Keep in mind not all games are region-locked. It's not a requirement.