This question is answered

can I use my old hard-drive with my new system

• Level   2

I'm gonna buy a new system. it's the same system model. so can I use my current hard drive with my new system?? is it fine?? I'm gonna transfer the license after that.

thanks

Verified Answer
    • Level   2
    • Verified Answer
    • Verified by

Hello Sherlock. :)

As long as it's the same model (Original to Original Xbox or Slim to Slim Xbox) you can use the same Hard Drive no problems.

As for transferring the license, that's unnecessary as far as I know. I had some paid content from my old Xbox when I got a new one, and never had to transfer the license. So long as it's on your account you're fine.

Congrats on the new Xbox, hope nothing bad happened to the old one.

See you out there on Xbox Live.

~ Cryptic

• Level   5
    • Verified Answer
    • Verified by

As long as you stay connected to live there should be no license issues, but you should do a license transfer. All licensing shows the gamertag and console the item was downloaded, not just the drive. There's also the risk of not being able to do the transfer if you wait too long, and most of your stuff may become useless.

So it's better to do a transfer, better safe than sorry.

Previously Jameser78, now TF themed.

All Replies
    • Level   2
    • Suggested Answer

Yes.

"Have you tried turning it off and on again?"

• Level   2
    • Verified Answer
    • Verified by

Hello Sherlock. :)

As long as it's the same model (Original to Original Xbox or Slim to Slim Xbox) you can use the same Hard Drive no problems.

As for transferring the license, that's unnecessary as far as I know. I had some paid content from my old Xbox when I got a new one, and never had to transfer the license. So long as it's on your account you're fine.

Congrats on the new Xbox, hope nothing bad happened to the old one.

See you out there on Xbox Live.

~ Cryptic

• Level   5
    • Verified Answer
    • Verified by

As long as you stay connected to live there should be no license issues, but you should do a license transfer. All licensing shows the gamertag and console the item was downloaded, not just the drive. There's also the risk of not being able to do the transfer if you wait too long, and most of your stuff may become useless.

So it's better to do a transfer, better safe than sorry.

Previously Jameser78, now TF themed.

• Level   2

thank you for the reply. I'm gonna rate everyone :)

my old xbox red rings. it's a "jasper" model. error code 0003. but sometimes it works. sometimes it doesn't. what to do?

• Level   S
    • Suggested Answer

Hey there, iSh3rlock. Are you seeing 4 red lights? If so, I'd encourage you to take a look at this sticky: forums.xbox.com/.../153180.aspx. It offers helpful steps for what to do to get this resolved going forward.

Thanks! Let us know if you have any further questions and we'll be happy to assist. :)

How to use the forums
    Retired Support Agent - No PMs please!

• Level   2

Is it just me or are there a bunch of double posts? As for the OP, yes, if it's the same model it will work and you have nothing to worry about.

à tout le monde, à tous mes amis, je vous aime, je dois partir.