This question is answered

HDMI Sound?

• Level   1

First post on these forums so I hope I put this in the correct sub forum haha.

Anyway, I'm going to be purchasing a new computer monitor so that I can have my computer and my Xbox hooked to the same thing. The monitor will have two HDMI ports and a DVI and a VGA port. My plan is to have the Xbox plugged into one of the HDMI ports, and my computer to the DVI port or possibly the other HDMI port.

My question is, how will sound work with this setup, because the monitor doesn't have any built in speakers. Would I be able to have the HDMI cable doing the video out to the monitor, and maybe have the old A/V cable hooked up to a sound system with the video jack just hanging? Or is there another cable or something I would have to get in order to do this.

Thank you in advance :)

Verified Answer
    • Level   2
    • Verified Answer
    • Verified by

You cannot plug in both the old av cable and an hdmi cord - the 360 will only use one. The old av cord will block the hdmi from even being plugged in.

-

But, when you buy your Microsoft HDMI cable, it will come with an adapter that allows you to plug a separate sound device into your 360. Only official Microsoft cables come with this.

-

Depending on the price of the monitor, a television with a VGA port might be cheaper than a monitor with an HDMI port. Shop around.

You say: "Gameplay is more important than story."
    I say: "Why can't I have both?"

All Replies
    • Level   1

So as long as I get a Microsoft HDMI cable near the Xbox's in Wal-Mart or something it should just come with a separate adapter for it?

The sound system that i would like to use has only the white and red A/V sound inputs on it, but I'm looking at buying a new sound system anyway, so would I need a system with an S/PDIF or something on it?

• Level   2
    • Suggested Answer

Yes, they will come with an adapter like this: www.bing.com/.../search (this forum won't allow images but there's a bing search full of pictures for you).

-

As you can see from the pics, it has the old white and red A/V inputs if you want to use them. You don't need a new sound system.

You say: "Gameplay is more important than story."
    I say: "Why can't I have both?"

• Level   4

Your better off using the Output speaker jack on the monitor - radio shack has them for 5$

What you want is a 1/8 headphone jack to AV (Red/White)

Banana? + mEouse? =
                Squirrl!