This question is answered

My original XBox games won't play on my XBox 360 Arcade

• Level   1

What game are you trying to play: Mech Assault 2: Lone Wolf (though I have tried other games on the compatibilty list)
Is it a disc or downloaded version: Disc
What type of console are you using: XBox 360 Arcade (4GB) Slimline
What size HDD are you using: 250GB purchased separately
What error code or message are you receiving: The game couldn't start. Try downloading the game again.

What I have tried:

• A different Hard Drive
  • Clearing Cache
  • Resetting updates and reupdating
  • A different game on the compatibility list
  • Confirming the game works on an original XBox
Verified Answer
  • FussiestTundra6
    There is some rumour on the web that the new XBox 360 Arcade is incapable of playing legacy games.  I say rumour because the reports are speculative, not statements made by Microsoft.  Other advice is that all you need is a XBox 360 hard drive.  Lots of advice indicate that a hidden partion with certain files in it is the key, but how do I tell if everything is in order with the drive?

These people say this because they don't understand how the technology works.  The 360 Slim 4GB is exactly the same hardware wise to the standard 250GB  model, the only difference being that the 4GB model has an internal flash memory chip, that's all.    My Xbox 360 isn't a Slim, but it is a 360 Arcade with a 120GB hard drive, I can play BC games without issue.

The 360 achieves BC via a software emulator, this emulator is only available via an official Xbox 360  hard drive.  Not only do original games require an emulator they also need access to  2GB of free hard drive space as a disc cache.  This is on a separate partition not accessible to the user. If this partition does not exist, original software will not load.

Unfortunatley there is no official way to tell if your drive is fake or not.  Perhaps you could provide us a link to the vendor?

Many of the fake vendors will go to extraordinary lenghts to make their hard drives look like official drives.  Just because they look real, doesn't mean they are.   If you know any friends that can play BC games and have a Slim 360, maybe you could ask them to try their hard drive on your console, see if your games work, they should.  Other than that, perhaps you could ask a game store to take a look at your machine?

Got a question? Just ask. 
All Replies
    • Level   5

I take it other games you tried on the BC list didn't work either?  Where did you buy the hard drive from?  Where did the other hard drive you tried come from?

I'm thinking that both of these hard drives are fake, hence the failure to load compatible Xbox games.

• Level   1

I bought the first drive from a vendor on E-Bay. It arrived in packaging that looked genuine and had the plastic surface protection still on it.  When I tried it I got errors half the time so I requested a replacement from the vendor, also explaining the issue with backwards compatibility and my suspicion that the drive was not genuine or was damaged.  The vendor assured me the drive was genuine and sent a replacement drive.  The second drive also appeared genuine and has not failed at all.  When plugged in it is identified by the XBox 360 memory management as Microsoft (has the logo and everything).

How can I tell if the drive is genuine or fake?  I don't want to spend another $130 on a drive just to have it fail again anyway.

There is some rumour on the web that the new XBox 360 Arcade is incapable of playing legacy games.  I say rumour because the reports are speculative, not statements made by Microsoft.  Other advice is that all you need is a XBox 360 hard drive.  Lots of advice indicate that a hidden partion with certain files in it is the key, but how do I tell if everything is in order with the drive?

• FussiestTundra6

These people say this because they don't understand how the technology works.  The 360 Slim 4GB is exactly the same hardware wise to the standard 250GB  model, the only difference being that the 4GB model has an internal flash memory chip, that's all.    My Xbox 360 isn't a Slim, but it is a 360 Arcade with a 120GB hard drive, I can play BC games without issue.

The 360 achieves BC via a software emulator, this emulator is only available via an official Xbox 360  hard drive.  Not only do original games require an emulator they also need access to  2GB of free hard drive space as a disc cache.  This is on a separate partition not accessible to the user. If this partition does not exist, original software will not load.

Unfortunatley there is no official way to tell if your drive is fake or not.  Perhaps you could provide us a link to the vendor?

Many of the fake vendors will go to extraordinary lenghts to make their hard drives look like official drives.  Just because they look real, doesn't mean they are.   If you know any friends that can play BC games and have a Slim 360, maybe you could ask them to try their hard drive on your console, see if your games work, they should.  Other than that, perhaps you could ask a game store to take a look at your machine?

• Level   1

Hello,

(my English is very bad, sorry for that)

I had the same Problem, ihave an xbox360-slim 4gb and a seperate 250hdd inside, i tried everything to start an xbox360-supportet Xbox1-Game (Halo1, Halo2, GTA3, GTAVC, GTASA, StarWars KOTOR1+2, and, and, and), i tried to check everything (Cache, System Douwn and Upgrade with USB, DVD, CD, online, ofline), nothing will help..

I phone the Support (more then one Time), the last "Info" is like Horror, the Man says that the internal 4gb Flash-Unit is the Matter, couse the XBOX1-Game tried to start the Harddrive, but the internal 4gb-Flash is primär (comes first), so the XBOX1-Game is not able to start the Emulator and no XBOX1-Game can startet on an xbox360slim-4gb Version...(its not an oficial "Comment" by XBOX.Com but maybe it is true..., tomorrow the Support will call me back, i tell you then what they sayed.

I hope deeply, it will come an Option to switch the internal 4gb-Flash off...

• Level   5

eierf red kiam
    I phone the Support (more then one Time), the last "Info" is like Horror, the Man says that the internal 4gb Flash-Unit is the Matter, couse the XBOX1-Game tried to start the Harddrive, but the internal 4gb-Flash is primär (comes first), so the XBOX1-Game is not able to start the Emulator and no XBOX1-Game can startet on an xbox360slim-4gb Version...(its not an oficial "Comment" by XBOX.Com but maybe it is true..., tomorrow the Support will call me back, i tell you then what they sayed.

Calling support with a technical question is waste of time, they don't do technical.  If you have one of these questions either hit the forums or ask an Xpert for help.

The information the support person gave you was rubbish.  The 360 Slim is just as capable as playing BC games as the a 360 without any internal flash.  The reason why your console can not run original games is nothing to do with the internal flash, the reason why they don't work is because you have bought a FAKE hard drive.

• Level   1

What is "not included" in an FakeHDD? (iam realy buy this HDD on E-Bay, and maybe its an Fake), is it possible to fix that Problem?

Thank you for (maybe right) Information, but it was also my ouwn "feeling" for this HDD, i looked for Emulators for the HDD, but nothing will work sucessful on my HDD and i dont like to made this on PC (iam not smart enouth for this), is there any "simble" Download for an complete XBOX1-EMU for an xbox360-slim (Fake) HDD???

Thanx, Maik

• Level   1

One more Question,

Do you know, that ONLY the 4gb-Version (xbox360-slim) had an internal Flash-Memory?, remember, the 250gb-Version doesnt have this internal Flash-Memory, maybe the Support was right?

Maik

• Level   1
    • Suggested Answer

Has any one trie a hdd transfer from a good actual BC working hdd to the possible fake to see if that fixes it

• Level   1

I am Having An issue Here As well. I have an Xbox Elite And Have Upgraded from 120GB HD To the 250GB HD. And Have Bought Many Xbox Games through the marketplace. All the 360 ones work, All the arcade ones as well. But none of my xbox orignal games that have downloaded through the marketplace seem to work. tried re-dling, tried cleaning hd, chache. Im thinking its the fact of having the 250gb hd on there now Im not sure though

• Level   1

I have a Slim 4GB console and then later added a 250GB HDD and all BC games run perfectly on my system.  

• Level   X

Abyss, where was your HDD purchased from?

Mister Fitzer - Xbox Community Engagement

• Level   1

i also have the same problem but i bought my 250 hdd on amazon not ebay any answer?